Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Semi-technical question about venom and blade fury.

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by wobbie, Feb 2, 2004.

1. wobbie

wobbie IncGamers Member

Semi-technical question about venom and blade fury.

Hiya folks,

I read somewhere that venom does its listed damage within 10 frames or 0.4 seconds. I think that's correct. I also read that when you use Blade Fury (the skill that shoots shurikens out of your palm), the rate of fire is fixed at 6 frames. I have noticed that the rate of fire is the same (6 frames) even when you're chilled by cold damage.

My question is this: It seems blade fury rate of fire is higher than the time needed for the venom skill to take effect. I guess this is bad? Because then the poison damage imparted by the venom skill will not have time to run its course? What exactly happens in this case? Am I actually missing out on the poison damage done by venom? Is there anything I can do to "maximise" the venom skill while using blade fury? Or to put it another way, is there anything I can do to "minimise" the "loss" or "waste" caused by blade fury's high rate of fire?

Another side question: Are there any poison immunes in version 1.10? I'm hoping to avoid the "immune to this" and "immune to that" issues that plague hell difficulty gameplay.

Some advise from people who know what's going on behind the scenes is appreciated. Thanks in advance folks!

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Think of it this way. If you have a 100% hit rate, then you'd have the same rate of poison damage constantly during your attack anyway. If you miss, then the poison is allowed to run its course (~7 frames due to BFury's 3/4 penalty).

In fact it's far better to ensure that you do keep resetting your Venom timer in this way, as otherwise there will be wasted frames (4-5, not sure) where the target isn't posioned, and thus isn't taking any damage from you at all.

There are still Poison Immune monsters. You can try using charges of Lower Resist to remove it, or rely on your merc/shadow/physical & elemental damage to dispose of such monsters.

3. StormGuy85

StormGuy85 IncGamers Member

If you're in nightmare poison length is cut in half anyways. Or atleast it was in 1.09.

4. Crazy Person

Crazy Person Banned

ok.
    no, the timer is just reset. its not a big issue.
    BF does not have a high rate of fire, its unbearably slow..
    poison immunes dont work the same way other immunes work (cold, fire etc.) they simply cant be hurt by poison dmg, period. my understand is that they have 100% poison duration cut, meaning there is no way to harm them with poison. <- im not sure if this is confirmed as I have not personally tested it.

5. wobbie

wobbie IncGamers Member

Ahhh... Many thanks for clearing that up folks. So the way I understand it, if I'm hitting the monster constantly (I have ITD on one of my claws) then the venom poison is constantly at work, and my continuous hitting is just extending the poison duration. That's good to hear...

I'l not too sure about the rate of fire. It does look like moderate rate of fire, it does not strike me as being very very fast. But then again the rate of fire is fixed at 6 frames yes? Isn't 6 frames pretty respectable? But then again I'm no expert in D2...

The bit about poison immune is pretty harsh news... Darn it looks like I'm even more stuck with this immunity than the other elemental immunities. So if poison immunes work that way, there is no recourse for me but to gut it out and wait for my merc/shadow master to whittle it down?

6. Dark512

Dark512 IncGamers Member

if you are using BF wear Cleglaw's Gloves and some Gore riders....trust me.........

7. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

About ITD

Don't forget that Ignore Target Defence only works on regular monsters, not uniques bosses etc.

8. Crazy Person

Crazy Person Banned

6 frames is not fast enough, I wish it was based on IAS. 4 frame BF would be cool.
    to give you an idea, zeal is 4 frames, dragon talon is 2 frames ias druids are 4-5 frames. 6 frames is more than enough for pvm though.

as for the poison immunes, there are lots of options for a second source of dmg, you could use a gimmershred(sp? I dont even think thats the right name, the ele dmg axe thing) on switch or any high elemental dmg weapon, or you could put points into the trap tree, or you could just put a point into CM and use 2 bartucs on switch.
    If you have money, a chaos claw is a good idea for a switch.

9. Rekkless

Rekkless IncGamers Member

I'm seeing that at lev20, we have an average of 435 every .4 seconds.... I don't see how this is useful for 20 points maybe better spent on something else.

I was actually thinking of using DT as well. Both DT and BF seem to have similar mods to look for, but venom would only complicate this, as the damage would continue to be reset every 2-4 frames, especially if we have ITD on the kicks... hmmm

10. Crazy Person

Crazy Person Banned

the dmg reset is not a big deal.

Venom is most usefull at lvl 30+ /w trangs gloves.