Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Semi-OT: Riddle me this, Batman!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Dave in the basement, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement IncGamers Member

Semi-OT: Riddle me this, Batman!

Why is Mephisto’s Soulstone full of runes and gems?

Dave :teeth:

2. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Well.. a couple of theories here:

1. To make a soulstone you need ingredients, just picture your soulstone as some glued together gems or melted runes. The moment you scatter it you can pick up some pieces.

2. You actually smash the soulstone but your hacking breaks off pieces from the hell forge. I mean.. it IS the hell forge, where all the demonic weapons are made. So probably some pieces of the hellforge crumbled off when you smashed Meph's stone.

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I dont think its made of mid level runes, but i think that the hammer used to smash it has some gems in, and hephasto likes to be fancy and stick in a rune. When you smash the soulstone, because it contains a prime evil, you'd expect it to be rather tough, and so not only does it break, but so does the hammer (which is why it disappears). the gems and rune in the hammer fall out conveniently unbroken.

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

The Hellforge is used for making all the weapons of the legions of Hell - Iths, 3x 40/15IAS CCBs of Quickness, and so forth. Therefore, it stands to reason that the Hellforge is a pretty good device for creating items.

However since the hero(-ine) doesn't have the necessary knowledge or training to use it properly, when the Soulstone is smashed it just creates legit items instead, of the simple types that don't have any extended information stored with them.

The Hammer is then so insulted at being used like that, it simply disappears in a puff of logic.

5. Kool69

Kool69 IncGamers Member

Ugg smash stone with hammer. Ugg hit too hard. Hammer and stone break. Shiny things fall on ground. Ugg grab before XnoobiemasterXx and itouchchildren do.

6. gravitysrainbow

gravitysrainbow IncGamers Member

You guys should brush up on your demonology. Everyone knows Soulstones are the demonic equivalent of pinatas.

There's one at every demon child's bday partay..

7. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

lmao! This is great!

okay, anybody who knows lapadry (the art of cutting gemstones) knows that most gems don't come from the ground looking very gem like, you have to cut them to make them beautiful, as a matter of fact, if it's poorly cut it won't sparkle well or look very pretty, also, most of the gems (except the emerals and the skulls<-- that's more of an issue for me) are fairly hard but even diamonds have planes of cleavage. Matter of fact, way back before lasers, you would "cut" a diamond by hitting it at just the right place to make it cleave, and then spend hours shaping it just so, lots of artisans still use this method for many gems.

Now, mephisto's soul stone looks to me like a gem in the rough, so hitting it knocks off the edges, knocks out the evil and turns it into the perfect gem. (this also explains why you have to try a couple of time before it works sometimes, you're shaping mutliple facets) The rune looks like a bit of rock, and so do the hammer and forge, so the rune might come from either, I can explain the Hel runes, but I can't be sure about the others.

8. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

Silly, silly forumites... :yawn:

Everyone know that gems don't stick together. They aren't magnets, hard item doesn't stick to hard item. So, in order for Mephisto's Soulstone to be created (and actually hold his soul), several gems are gathered together. The shape, size, and irregularities of the gems don't matter because of this secret ingredient.....runes!

Now we've all wondered why runes "squish" when they drop from a monster. Souls are inherently "sticky"* (kinda like that booger that won't flick off your finger), but they still need help being "bound" to the gems. Here is where the runes come in. The runes mixed with the soul, are really quite pliable (and combined with the soul, transparent so the gem is visible beneath), and can therefore form a cohesive bond around the gems, making for all intents a single Soulstone.

Now you say, but aren't runes small rocks? How can the "squish"? Well, once the soulstone has been smashed on the Hellforge, the magical properties of the hammer and the forge, dismantle the gems and runes from the soul. The soul is absorbed into the forge for further black magic item making. The gems and rune(s) fall to the ground, intact as before they were joined.

Really rather simple once you think about it... :king:

* : data compiled from Incarnations of Immortality - On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony

9. gravitysrainbow

Piers ought to be whipped with a wet noodle for such a flagrant borrowing from Wordsworth.

Hey Jrlafrance- is that a pic of you kid? that's an aggressively cute pic! I'd congratulate you on procreating but that seems even more odd than commenting on a kid i've never met, so i'm going to let it drift now. :p

10. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

I always thought jrlafrance was a five (?) year old with really advanced english skills :D

11. gravitysrainbow

take your pick:

1) wa wa wa waaaaaaaa
    2) ba dom bom *cymbal crash!*

:p

12. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

That is my adorable (almost) 4 year old girl. My pride and joy... :D

EDIT: @shermo...the joke thread is here :grrr:

EDIT: @ gravitysrainbow - Thanks!

13. gravitysrainbow

well..too cute. good job! :thumbsup:

14. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

evidently I'm not one of the few who can make asinine comments and get away with it :rolleyes:

15. gravitysrainbow

aww..i'm just playin. asinine to your heart's content good Shermo! :thumbsup: