Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Self Mule is Not Working

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Neilzor, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Neilzor

Neilzor IncGamers Member

Self Mule is Not Working

It went like this: I stumbled into a free game with my main character, a lvl 15 assn. I got some half decent stuff, some stuff that I could use later or trade away, but I wouldn't be able to use it for a while. So I hear about this self mule thing, and I decide to give it a try

I made a game, wrote down the name and password so I wouldn't forget, and waited about 10 minutes. I dropped all my stuff, and exited. I logged back on with my mule, and entered the name and pass into the join game window. "Game does not exist." WTF?

I tried it again, making sure the spelling for both the N/PW were correct. Still, the game apparently did not exist.

So I go get my main character back, and try the N/PW with her. Voila, I'm in the game, and there's all my crap lying on the ground. I gathered it up and left to come here. What am I doing wrong? I double checked the game settings, normal difficulty, and infinite level difference. Can anyone point out my error?

2. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Yea... make sure you wait atleast 5 min in a game before you try to self
    x-fer ok and about that loss im sorry i dont play on cattle.net anymore because of things like that(lost to many itemz)(ant the massive dupeing andscamming)

3. Neilzor

Neilzor IncGamers Member

Sorry to be rude... But did you even read my post? I did get my stuff, I just couldn't get into the game with another character. Also, I waited possibly more than 10 minutes, as I went to watch a bit of Star Wars while I waited.

4. Hephaestus

Hephaestus IncGamers Member

Here's how I mule. It's not perfect, but I haven't had any problems with it so far.

I join an existing game, preferably with more than one person in it, and make sure it's not a "quickie run" kind of game. Also, I make sure it's a game where nobody is going to be hanging around act one. So like "act 2 leveling" or "act 3 questing" or something like that.

So basically I look for games that look like they're not going to be abandoned quickly, and ones where nobody is going to be keeping an eye on the Rogue Encampment.

As extra insurance, I don't drop my stuff in the Encampment itself. I drop myself in the Blood Moor behind a wall. Exit, change to mule, and rejoin the game. I don't need to worry about whether it was deleted or it, because people are holding it for me. Then I go to my secret drop point and pick up my crap.

5. bobmarley

bobmarley IncGamers Member

You are supposed to wait 5 minutes. Once you've been in game for 5 minutes, it'll stay there for another 5 minutes.

6. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

Sounds very strage.
    I "self-mule" a lot and such thing hasn't happened to me, I've got "game doesn't exist" though but you shouldn't be able to login such game with any character, hence "doesn't exist".

I have a feeling you did type the game name wrong once or twice with your mule and then got it right with the other character you made the game with.
    level difficulties shouldn't matter here, you'll get a different message if the game is too high difficulty for your character.

Maybe someone else knows better, but I think you did a simple typo without noticing it.

EDIT: Bob Marley, he said he waited in the game for 10 mins, it doesn't have to be exactly 5 mins you know.

7. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

It sounds like you play non ladder and you created a new character to pick up all the stuff and accidentally had the ladder option ticked.

If a ladder character tries to join a nonladder game, it claims the game does not exist (which makes no sense). If a nonladder character tries to join a ladder game, it says that a ladder character may not join a game created by a nonladder character (which makes less sense).

8. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

Bottom Line:

Self Muling works, I've done it tons of times and I've no reason to lie to you.

Bugs in the system do exist, so such errors with the games do occur from time to time. At least you did not lose your items.

9. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

I think Oscuro pointed out the problem, check if the mule is ladder and let us know

10. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

to Oscuro:
    I don't think it has to do with ladder/non-ladder incompatibility. People usually completely play on ladder or non-ladder with all their chars, otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
    There is a chance for even a very long game to disappear right after you've left. Like it happened to me yesterday - I was playing and definitely reached more than 5 minutes of playing time. I got a lag. Exit, attempt to rejoin. Game doesn't exist.
    If you quit a game during long lag, the odds seem to be 50/50 if the game stays or disappears. Hence - NEVER EVER MULE IF THE WEATHER ON REALMS IS LAGGY. If you do so, you increase your chances to lose stuff tremendously.
    to Neilzor:
    The safest way to mule is to have a friend you trust (it's important) standing in the game while you mule. There are only 2 dangers in this case - serious realm problems (if both of you get dropped and the game closes) and disappearing of items, if they're lying on the ground too long.
    The second safest way to mule is public muling. If you find a good game to mule, there are good chances to do it successfully. It's only a question of what to consider a "good game".
    Hephaestus did make some good points. Look for something that is going to stay for some time and what's important, nobody is going to find your stuff while he's playing. So, "Act 1 quests" is a bad game, if you're planning to mule in A1. "Act 2 quests" is probably better, because you don't expect anybody to go in Act1 and find your items. But also check levels in that game. In "Act 2 quests" game people will be about 11-18, but if there's one of level 2-3, he's probably playing Act1 for extra ppl, and be aware of it.
    I usually use Mule Parking games with 1-3 people inside, which I beleive to be safest (6-7 people give you a chance that 1 or 2 more mules join, and the game gets full). And that's why I think so:
    - they don't usually fill very quickly;
    - people usually don't even watch the screen and don't care about anybody joining and leaving - less chances somebody will go looking for your stuff;
    - even if you get Realm Down and have to wait for 10-15 minutes, there is a good chance your items are lying where you've left them, because nobody simply knows about it. It happened to me once - I got my staff back in a Muleparking game after a continuous RD.
    Just check where's everybody, when you join the game. People standing in town are harmless, hi-levels outside the town are probably somewhere in Act 5, so no much worries about them as well. Just make sure nobody that is outside the town is of the level that can potentially arrive where you're gonig to mule.
    I've muled many things this way and haven't yet lost anything (touch wood :)), though I know that I potentially can. Lost too much stuff in solo self-muling, so I'm not going to try it anymore.
    EDIT: just saw "wrote down game name and password..." in the first post. Don't write down game name - just select text in game name box and CTRL+C it, then CTRL+V it, when necessary. If you still want to use solo self-muling use a simple password, like "qw". Hard to make a mistake and this password doesn't need to be as secure as, for example, administrator password on a workstation. You need it only for couple of minutes. Nobody is going to search for passworded games and try passwords to them.

11. Lensor

Lensor Banned

He didn't loose his stuff, hence the game was not really gone, just inaccessible for his mule. Even if you are "nonladder only", it can easily happen that you make a ladder mule by accident. Also, this guy's main character is a lvl 15 assasin, so I guess he does not have a ton of experience, making this kind of mistake even more likely. My money is on Oscuro. :thumbsup:

On another note, passworded games do not show up on the game list. Hence you can have a real easy password, and also gamename, noone will know about it anyway (except mutual friends who will know the name of your game, but not the password).

12. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Not true. I play on ladder, non ladder, soft core, hardcore, multi realm.
    That said, it's easy to get mixed up when creating a new character. Especially if you don't create it until you've left the mule game with stuff on the ground.
    Something similar happened to me when a clanmember gave me a bunch of stuff and I had no room on any characters. I rushed to create a new char and messed up on the whole ladder, non ladder thing. Figured it out in a few seconds though.

Before actually dropping stuff on the ground to mule, exit the game and return. That will show you with no risk if the game is set.

Good luck!

13. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

Easy Guide To Muling Items Safely:

Step 1 - Make trustable friends
    Step 2 - Lure them into your passworded game
    Step 3 - Quickly drop item, exit game, change character, re-join game, Pick-up item
    Step 4 - Dismiss your friend with a "Thank You".

....is that hard?

14. slap

slap IncGamers Member

self muling

hi..if you have win/xp, then buy another d2+expansion. you can self mule with ease this way and there are no file downloads or hacks to be used. do a search on google for 'd2 self muling'. if you have any problems with this method then pm me and i will help you.

15. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

We should make a sticky of that :D

*stkrause

16. Neilzor

Neilzor IncGamers Member

Yeah... I didn't really notice the big bold font that said LADDER CHARACTER under my mule's name... I feel like a bit of a tool. Sorry to bother you all.

17. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

Of course. That's why I've written that the password doesn't need to be as secure as something like "EFh416Yuu190inRQ", that will be preferrable, if you want to protect a serious system from serious hack attempts. Something like "qw" or "2" in Diablo II will do the job - hide the game from others.
    I wouldn't recommend this as well. The game somehow tracks how often you enter/exit games and log on/off, so quick exit/reenter, then exit/reenter again may cause Realm Down, which means lost items.
    Nevermind, Neilzor. Learned some experience.

18. mainaman

mainaman IncGamers Member

well exiting and entering the same game with different chars to self mule works fine with me-i've done it many times.
    Also doesnt sound logical to assume this may cause realm down cuz well
    bnet is hosting thosands of users at the same tinme it should be able to work fine with ur 2 chars entering tha same game several times in a row.
    At least i havent had problems with that and i do it alot.
    mainaman

19. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

Hi mainaman :howdy:

Welcom to the forums :)

Be careful with that, entering and exiting games very fast may cause realm down.

It's one of the "efforts" of Blizz to stop Bots in their endless "Baalbotruns"

You could lose a lot that way.

Bert

20. mainaman

mainaman IncGamers Member

well i cant say realm down wouldnt happen but my experience is that it didnt happen to me and i did self mule this way alot.
    Well i also dont do alot of exit-enter with dif chars i mean prolly 4-5 times when needed.
    As others mentioned another way to do it is to go to a public game where ppl are doin act2 or 3 but in order to be extra careful i go and actually start killin monsters here and there(not all though) in the blood moore and just randomly go to the pit or any of the barracks there and drop suff .Then quickly rejoin with my other char and get my stuff.
    Also ppl try to invite to party-big mistake to do so they will know where u r and might come search for things especially if ur mule is much lower lvl than the other players in the game