Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Self Loathing and the Hoto

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by CheckMyPecs, May 6, 2005.

1. CheckMyPecs

CheckMyPecs IncGamers Member

Self Loathing and the Hoto

I've been beating myself up over this a little bit, so I thought I'd run it by the forum and maybe get some feedback. I'm fairly new to high level trading, carefully climbing the value ladder toward Enigma and others, and last night I made a realm game to trade the +2 Arkaine's I'd just found. The guide lists that as Pul +, which would have been fine with me, but some bloke joined the game and offerered me a "perfect" Hoto for it. :eek: I was so taken aback that I hesitated and freaked out a little. Stupidly after a few seconds I closed the trade window, the guy called me a noob (which may be more true than I'd thought), and then he left unceremoniously the game.

This isn't a trade value question since that's clear for both items. I just can't imagine why someone would offer a trade like that in the first place, but if it was a legit and a genuine act of kindness or desperation, why the insulting departure. Does it sound like something shady was going on, or did I simply miss out on the deal of the century?

2. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

i haven't heard of any scams like that. but at the risk of losing a pul at worst, i would have taken it in a heartbeat.

most likely though, he wouldn't have clicked accept. he was probably just messing with you.

3. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Sometimes people will trade very generously just to get what they exactly when they want it. Arkaines don't pop up too frequently and he was probably tired of looking for one. Keep in mind there is only a variant of 10 points for the resists to get a perfect hoto. 1 in 10 should be perfect so they aren't that incredibly rare. Aside from the Vex rune, the ingredients to make a Hoto are dirt cheap and once that Vex is spent it's only good to somebody who wants a Hoto.

I'd say don't beat yourself up. We've all blown good deals or sold things that could have gotten us a high rune like a certain Sacred Targe with 3 sockets and 33 resist all. I'm still kicking myself for that one.

4. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

I fell for a scam like this. He offered agood HOTO for my pnb gc. I hesitated and he switched the hoto for a magic flail of crappiness. Too bad for me but this happens. I think he may have been trying to scam you in a similar way.

If an offer seems to good to be true, it probably is.

5. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

that's easy enough to avoid. i usually wait for the other guy to click yes first. but i always hold my cursor over the item before i click yes. also i wait a few seconds before clicking in case someone tries to time it and switch right before i click.

6. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

Yeah I know but it was late and i was tired. I felt so stupid.

7. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

One time i was completing a trade for my friend, getting a SoJ, and we showed each other the goods and yes, it was a stone, but then he had to get some space for the larger item I was trading him. When we went back to trade I forgot to check the ring before I clicked accept. Thankfully, he was honest and I got it, but boy did my heart jump on that one. That could have really sucked.

8. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

realm? ladder or nonladder?

some of the price lists here may be outdated but i havent checked them in a while.

most likely, the runes in the hoto was duped so they would poof on you.

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Perhaps he gave you a 30% HotO. That would be a perfectly bad one. But even then, +2 Arkaine's goes for far less than a perfectly bad HotO.

10. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

was the arkaines eth?

11. riddyl

riddyl IncGamers Member

Sorry I'm quite new to these forums, what guide are you referring to that gives you pricechecks? Like yourself I am starting to get into high level trading and need some advice :p

12. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i asked in the other thread i guess if the arkains was eth. those can be worth a fortune.

13. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

what realm are you on, i can link you to a price guide.

14. CheckMyPecs

CheckMyPecs IncGamers Member

Sorry, this was on USEast ladder. Where prices are in-sane!

And it wasn't eth, so there's no chance the arkaine's was more valuable than the regular old pul or um. I wish, though.

And Riddyl, the price guides for each realm can be found stickied to the top of the trade value forum in there here parts. Check here: http://forums.diabloii.net/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Thanks y'all.

15. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I merged the two threads.

16. Rice_Farmer3

Rice_Farmer3 IncGamers Member

Yeah i know exactly what he means. some1 traded their enigma for my tal armor :clap: although it requires 158 str. it proved to be "real" and hasn't poofed for a whole year.