Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"Self-Defense" in Schools

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dodomac, Feb 24, 2004.

1. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

"Self-Defense" in Schools

Right now I think the policy in schools about fighting is messed up. If two students get into a physical altercation of any kind, they automatically get suspended. Fault/instigation is irrelevant, and no matter the circumstances, both of them get the boot. I can't understand the logic behind this. If you are assaulted on the street, the cops don't say "Why didn't you avoid confrontation and/or run to your nearest police station and run away?". When the situation is unavoidable, and you are put in a position where you must defend yourself, why must you be punished?

Are schools getting lazy? Would it take too much time to investigate matters such as these? Maybe in elementary and middle school the existing policy would work, but in high school serious situations can occur, and being liable for defending yourself isn't something I view is bad. Is this the same in all countries?

2. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

They're teachers not police. Besides, both parties would just claim self defence, like I used to. And then CSI: Miami would have to be called in, and David Carusso is a tool. And no one wants that.

3. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Yeah in my school even if you don't throw a punch you still get suspended. Its pretty screwed up.

4. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

That's where a simple administrative investigation comes in. I think they should at least check for self defense before they dismiss it as senseless violence.

5. Sp4rtacus

Sp4rtacus IncGamers Member

thats why i figured just fight back and **** them up head to toe.

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

if I was running a school I wouldn't care who started the fight

7. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

The issue is not fault, but whether the situation warranted self-defense, basically if it could have been avoided. I'm not trying to promote violence, but if it is neccessary it shouldn't be punished.

8. Ash Housewares

again, if I was a school administrator I would not want to take a stance that suggested violence was permissable

9. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

That's the thing, it is permissable anywhere else but school, which is where my beef is. Like I said before, I'm not trying to promote violence. I'm just saying school administrations shouldn't have these things etched in stone, but instead take it case by case. Is this impractical?

10. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I see where your coming from dodomac. If they would acually spend 20 minutes on the campus asking people what happened they could find out whos fault it truly was.

11. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Yes because kids lie. A lot.

12. Ash Housewares

I wouldn't trust the testimony of high schoolers, they would have a high tendency towards bias if someone they knew were involved in an altercation

13. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

well if that is the policy just beat the living splunge out of the other guy so no one else messes with you. explain your logic to the principal when he talks to you.

14. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Well if they asked 6 different random people and not just the friends of one of the kids then they might get a good answer.

15. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Yea...its unfair.
    But cmon, you lose all other rights when you go to school...why not the right for self-defense...
    It should be the agressor gets the most trouble...but usually its whoever's involved get suspended nowadays

16. Ash Housewares

and the school admnistrators spend alot of time keeping track of who's friends? there's far too much bias and teenage strife at a high school for admnistrators to trouble themselves with

17. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

...yea, that's what I'll do.

Ash... handling these situations is not difficult at all. All I want is just a little flexibility. I don't think that troubles the administrators, that is their job. If stuff like this didn't happen, all they would do is drink coffee and chill in their offices all day playing tetris.

18. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

As I said, they're edumacators not law enforcematers, nor are they CSI: Miami. Besides if the you get a suspention even if it was self defense, who cares, hey no school for a couple of days. Well maybe it would suck, if you didn't have an X-Bizzle or something.

19. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

It's impractical when you consider how limited their resources seem to be.

20. Ezakimak

Ezakimak IncGamers Member

Even if you asked six "random" people, they could still have a bias oppinion. ie...Bob thinking to self **Joe started the fight...but since he sits next to me in english...Frank is in my art class, and I just don't like the way the stuff he makes looks......I"ll just say Frank started it.** Now Bob, Joe, and Frank aren't freinds but theres's still a bias oppinion.

It's been a few years since I was in H.S. but from what I remember the "fighting rule" was the same. Bot people would be suspended for whatever length of time. But in most cases you can tell who started the fight...the person that started the fight would have more troulbe when he got back to school. From the above example....Joe started the fight...everyone knows this (teachers included) Joe sometimes runs late for his math class...now that he has been marked as a trouble maker for starting the fight the math teacher will give him detentions more often for being late. However Frank whois also sometimes late for Math will not get as many detentions because he was just defending him self. It's not in the rules or anything but it's just the way things work...whether it's a concious (sp?) decision or not on the part of the math teacher.