Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Seems I had a Faith Strafer project I never started

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RobbyD, Mar 13, 2018.

1. RobbyD

RobbyD Diabloii.Net Member

I was looking through my old posts, and I was originally planning on making Faith in a 4os +3B/X skills +10ed GMB that I had found in 1.09 and doing a 1.13 Strafer to compare with my 1.09 WF Strafer. However, it seems that I decided to focus only on my 1.09 Zon and never even brought my GMB forward from 1.09.

I curious if anybody active on the SPF has made a Faith Strafer and can speak to the viability of such a character. I have a pretty decent 1.13 stash (kept it from my active days), so I can plan on some decent gear.

2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

I have a faith based MF zon on bnet, they are very viable. Mine is a bit of a hybrid though, she used strafe for everything except she has CS and fury maxed to have CS for bosses. So I guess she was more of a hybrid, but I played and geared her like a strafer with a great boss/PhI pack option.

Faith is great as it provides pretty much everything you need in terms of damage in one item. Very little IAS is required to hit the breaks you want and damage is sufficient that you can put more MF on her. Because of the ITD, AR isn't as much of an issue either. I can list my gear if you'd like.

Edit (here's her gear anyway):
    steelskull/ias jewel
    highlords
    Faith GMB (15 fanat)
    eth skulders (ist)
    20 ias/knockback gloves (the thing I missed most from windforce was the KB)
    AR/res/whatever ring
    razortail
    ravenfrost
    wartravs

switch:
    tstrokes + spirit

Her inventory was only partially filled so I could pick more stuff up with mf charms and the torch/anni you'd expect. If I remember correctly, I'm probably over on the IAS required, but I'm not sure at this point.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I wouldn't give up LoH for knockback gloves. Better replace the Stealskull with a Giant Skull. If you don't have one, I would rather give her no knockback because I think that LoH's bonus is more valuable, in particular if you don't have much off-weapon %ed, e.g. if you don't have a Fortitude armor as well or you want her to have a bit MF from Skullder's.

I would also use Atma's rather than Highlord's, except you never go where PIs can occur (like the Pits). Even just 5% ctc Amp will trigger quickly when strafing.

To my knowledge, you need just 20% IAS for max speed strafing with any level of fanaticism aura being rolled up, although it would probably helping when using other bow shooting skills (see the "Zons!" link in CDM's sig).

4. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I don't remember why I had so much IAS. Good Multi speed? I dunno. I wont make a zon with ~500 life that doesn't have knock back though so that's why I went with crafted gloves. Since she is ostensibly a MF zon, I wanted steelskull for mf and leech. I was giving an example of an Amazon that used GMB Faith and is viable. Your set up will certainly preform better as a strafer, something mine isn't 100%.

5. krischan

Yes, almost none of my bowazons are about MF. For me, it's one of those characters who are fun without the aspect of finding awesome uniques etc. They are still good ad finding runes, socketables etc. :)

crawlingdeadman likes this.
  6. RobbyD

Thanks for the feedback. It turns out that I do have a Fortitude Iron Fleece that I made back in the day, and I do have a Thunderstroke and 2 1os Giant Skulls. I was thinking not make a hybrid Zon since I already did that with a 1.13 WF/Titan's hybrid Zon, but if that's needed for bosses, I guess there are the extra points available for the build. Still - this would essentially be another hybrid Zon - and I've done a lot of Zons. So... I think I might table this idea.

But... going through my old stashes, it appears that I traded for a Stormlash from Frozzzen at some point , so maybe I can do a properly built Frenzy Barb (I've done Frenzy Barbs in 1.09, but they've been poorly built Frenzy Barbs).

7. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Stormlash for a kicker / flashdancer.

8. krischan

A 1 socket Giant Skull will do the job. Just don't invest an expensive rune or jewel, in case you find a 2 socket one later :).

I wouldn't make a hybrid as well. All those I made ended up with using the bow all the time, so it's probably better to improve GA (more damage, less mana costs, helps a lot versus Diablo, the big boss at the end of the road through bowazon heaven). Also have a few points in multishot (10 arrows should be enough), that's useful when being swarmed. A few points in magic arrow are useful as well, so you use up less mana then you replenish, together with dealing a certain minimum of damage versus unbreakable PIs. Also, a single point in freezing arrow helps a lot when fighting Lister.

9. RobbyD

It does appear that I found a pair of Shadow Dancers when I was playing actively, and I am enjoying the TS Sin in 1.09 so far. I've not made a 1.13 Sin, so that idea might merit some consideration.

10. maxicek

11. RobbyD

OK, I checked my stashes, and this is what I have:

2x Cham (not including that 1.09 Cham)
    2x Jah
    1x Ber
    2x Sur
    3x Lo
    1x Ohm

Fortitude (29 res @) Wire Fleece not being used
    Andariel's Visage w/ 30%ED/29%FR/+29def jewel not being used
    Atma's Scarab
    eth 4os Thresher (in 1.09)
    Superior 4os +10ED +3 B/X GMB (in 1.09)
    Superior 4os Great Hauberk (577 def)
    Superior 4os Wire Fleece (549 def)
    Superior 4os Wyrmhide (541 def)
    Thunderstroke for jav switch

So I could do a Faith Strafer with CoH in one of those armors and a Pride merc using the eth Thresher and proc'ing Amp with the Atma's. The idea of sporting Fana, Concentration, and Might all at once is intriguing enough to overcome my reluctance at making another hybrid Zon.

I also have a beta Crescent Moon that could be used before the Stormlash for a kicker (I have the Gore Rider to up) - I would imagine a standard Reaper's Toll would be the best merc weapon for that.

Any thoughts on which would be cooler / more fun?

12. maxicek

Tiger Strike / Dragon Tail Assassin with Lawbringer and Infinity merc.
    Assassins are cooler than all the rest put together :p

T72on1 likes this.
  13. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

Y'know I was just reading your guide, it looks like a lot of fun. Did you try an untwinked run-through ever? I'm just worried that without something like lacerator or Lawbringer it could be a tedious build in hell. I guess Lem isn't too hard to farm though...

14. krischan

I see no good reason to use CoH on a bowazon. You don't need its +2 skills, you can maximize resists with other gear, in particular charms and you won't need much leech as well. A dual leech ring will do well enough. With a Giant Skull, most monsters won't come close to your zon anyway. When being knocked back, the monsters decide from anew who to attack and that's probably the valk, merc, decoy or one of the revived from Faith.

Regarding the armor, I think it's either Fortitude or Skullder's. You can do /p1 Pits efficiently with Skullder's (also in combination with WF+Stealskull instead of Faith+Giant Skull), but killing speed would suffer in higher acts then, so Fortitude might result in more good finds per minute there. It's also more fun that way :).

The problem with Pride is that it has no on-weapon %ed, as %ed to demons/undead counts as off-weapon. I have no first-hand experience with it, however, so other might know better how well a merc will survive with it. And yes, with that much off-weapon %ed, you could probably live without Fortitude. I would use ptopazed Skullder's then because bowazons lack MF the most.

Edit: Pits, not Tunnels, although don't think there are many physical immunes in the Tunnels as well.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  15. maxicek

I ran a Might + Pride with my BF Assassin. He died all the time with Treachery, I put Fortitude on and he wasn’t too bad. Depends on how quickly you kill too I think. I haven’t tried it with Bowazon yet though.

Also Lem should be easy from Hell Countess these days.

16. RobbyD

I was already planning on that Forti for my merc. I can certainly make another Forti for the Zon. As far as the lack of ED on the runeword, it was my understanding that the ED from Concentration replaces that. Obviously this who build requires the CtC Amp from Atma's Scarab.

I assume the reference to the Lem rune was to make Faith - I only listed my high runes - I have over 10 Lem runes.

I assume an Um rune for the Giant Skull?

17. maxicek

Conc doesn’t come close to the on weapon ED.

18. krischan

You probably know the following, so if that's the case, regard it as a bit redundancy for other readers :).

On-weapon %ed is a separate multiplier for total damage and there is only one way to add to it: Through the weapon. Off-weapon %ed can come from many sources, like skills, auras, strength/dex, bonuses to demons/undead, bonuses from gear other than weapons etc., so you will almost always have more off-weapon %ed.

Let's say you have a base damage of 40, 300%ed off-weapon and 100% on-weapon, so you will deal 40 x (1+100% *) x (1+300%) = 320 damage.

*: Numerical +min/max/dmg bonuses go to here as well, but I will leave it out, to concentrate on the subject.

If you have the choice between adding 100% to on-weapon %ed and off-weapon %ed, it will increase like this:

To off-weapon %ed: 40 x (1+100%) x (1+400%) = 400 damage.
    To on-weapon %ed: 40 x (1+200%) x (1+300%) = 480 damage.

TL;DR: Invest into the smaller one of the two bonuses if you have to choose.
    Even shorter: (a+b)x(a-b) = a²-b².

HOWEVER:

It's about the merc. For a bowazon, his main purpose usually is to fix enemies in place and to provide auras, so merc damage is mainly a matter of leeching enough to survive. I think if he survives well with Pride, it's fine and your zon will benefit from it.

Obedience is nice as well. Huge damage, CB (makes him more useful for killing tough enemies), no ctc effects that might override Atma's amp. You just need a bit leech (Andarial's Visage or Tal's mask) and IAS (Griswold's with 3 IAS jewels or Treachery).

That sounds like a reasonable socketing for a 1 socket one.

19. matjex

matjex Diabloii.Net Member

I once tested out the difference between faith+conc merc or wf+faith merc. Conclusion is that faith+conc merc is just best. She is faster and more viable.
    Here is a gear recommendation:
    Faith Matriarchal Bow ( it's the fastest bow )
    Giantskull with 2x 15 ias jewels(+adds if you have that)
    Fortitude
    Atma's Scarab for CtC amplify damage ( she will not loose speed compared to highlords or cat's eye )
    Ravenfrost
    dual leech ring
    LoH
    WT's
    Razortail
    Merc:
    Pride
    CoH
    Delirium

You could of course use Andy and + treachery or forti, but the combination of Pride and Delirium makes for an awesome crowd controlling merc, since Pride has hit blinds target. His viability is great, better than a Rogue with faith I would say, and he won't interrupt your Amplify Damage prog as much as a Rogue with delirium.
    edit: plus it seems you have all the runes you need for this build ;)

Just a suggestion. I tried out this build and it was awesome. Faster than the WF+Faith setup, although the dmg is higher on that build, the dps apparently does not come close. And she survives better.

Sorry for being lazy with numbers, can't be arsed to calculate stuff :D

20. RobbyD

Thanks for the feedback! As it turns out, I do have a beta Delirium Demonhead sitting in my stash...:D. So CoH would be the only source of leech for the merc?

I do have a 4os +3 B/X skill MB as well, but I've had my heart set on that GMB for a long, long time (cuz of the +10ed sup).

One more question - any shame in making Pride in a Thresher instead of a Cryptic Axe or Giant Thresher?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018