Seems almost criminal

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
Seems almost criminal

I have never really "run" the countess before, the closest I came was doing full clears with my pally as part of pit runs.

Just now, for the first time doing it seriously, in need of replenishing a recently dwindled stock, I did 30 countess runs with the sorc, in hopes to restock my recently diminished rune supply. I didn't log them all but here's what I ended up with, picking up all rune drops, cubing them up:

2 el
1 eld
1 nef
2 ith
2 ral
1 ort
1 thul
2 dol
1 fal

The highest individual drop was "only" the fal, dropped along with a shael

Also, I used a shael and an eth, combined with a drop from the armor rack on 5, for:

Rhyme
Sacred Targe
'ShaelEth'
Defense: 136
Chance to Block: 70%
Durability: 42 of 45
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 86
Required Level: 47
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 78
Fingerprint: 0x6d85d3ee
+20% Increased Chance of Blocking
Regenerate Mana 15%
Fire Resist +25%
Fire Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +25%
Lightning Resist +35%
Cold Resist +35%
Cold Resist +25%
Poison Resist +35%
Poison Resist +25%
50% Extra Gold from Monsters
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
40% Faster Block Rate
Cannot Be Frozen
Socketed (2: 2 used)

For those who hate math and ATMA readouts, it was 35 all res, 60 when rhymed. The overall drops aren't too impressive, but it only takes me about 3 minutes at most to teleport to and kill the countess, hitting armor and weapon racks each time. If I did as many of these as meph runs, I feel like I might actually be able to reach some of the higher end runes. Also as an added bonus I got this from an armor rack:

Lenymo
Sash
Defense: 2
Durability: 6 of 12
Required Level: 7
Item Level: 78
Fingerprint: 0x95b94f7a
+15 to Mana
Regenerate Mana 30%
All Resistances +5
+1 to Light Radius

And this dropped by the countess herself (YAY!)

The Rising Sun
Amulet
Required Level: 65
Item Level: 82
Fingerprint: 0xabdf7e97
Adds 24-48 fire damage
Replenish Life +10
+4 to Light Radius
+2 to Fire Skills
2% Chance to cast Level 15 Meteor when struck
+67 to Fire Absorb (Based on Character Level)

I'll go do another bunch of runs after I grab some lunch.

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
Very true Dave, but even the uneventful ones are fruitful in my eyes, as I save everything, including els, to cube.

jjscud

Diabloii.Net Member
I usually figure around 2 hours to come up with a fal+ level runes (i.e. I expect 1 fal+ rune every 2 hours), and that's with sub 60 second countess runs.

I wouldn't hesitate to say you were lucky. On there other hand, you get some fast countess running and invest some time in it and you can get decent stocks of fal - mal runes and begin to consider cubing to the vex range runes.

bradley_turner

Diabloii.Net Member
The other day I did 100 runs, logging every run, and when I get to 1000, im gonna post them all, so far I've already found an um and a ko, my runs usually take 30 secs-1 minute so I get them done really fast when I get dedicated, it'll be awhile before I'm done with all of them, because I've been busy this summer, with a job, a girlfriend and my physical fitness stuff, but they'll be done someday :)

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll agree it was probably lucky. 30 more runs, and here's the total, minus the shael-eth.

2 tir
2 eth
1 ith
1 tal
2 ort
1 thul
2 amn
2 shael
2 dol
2 sol
1 hel
1 fal

I only had to mule in one chippie, for 3 thuls. The hel was dropped on the final run.

It's not *that* impressive overall, but the runs are quick, and along with the rising sun and lenymo, assuming I kept a grail (I may start soon) I'd have found 3 grailers on the runs:

The Hand of Broc
Leather Gloves
Defense: 14
Durability: 6 of 12
Required Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0x73fbdfc4
+20 to Mana
+13% Enhanced Defense
+10 Defense
Poison Resist +10%
3% Life stolen per hit
3% Mana stolen per hit

Some observations as well:

I must have seen about 80 pairs of bramble mitts, which is about 80 pairs too many.

I don't think I've ever seen the countess spawn outside "her room" before, as in the room with the quest reward chest. This map, however, she always spawns in the passage to the right of that room.

It's well documented that in SP, racks tend to be consistent. The armor rack on level 5 of this map, which I always hit on the way in, is usually a sacred targe. But what I didn't realize before now is that the racks work in pairs. For example, on level 3, the racks I hit as I pass, usually the armor is bramble mitts. If it is, EVERY time except one the waeapon rack is an ataghan, except for one single time when it was a superior scimitar. If the armor rack is a wolf head, the weapon was always a simbilan, and if it was a royal shield, the weapon was always a matriarchal javelin.

I need a D2 break, later I'll move the runes over to my rune mule, cube them all, and see where I end up. Highest over there ATM I think is a couple Kos after my recent binge on upgrading my zealot.

logger120

Diabloii.Net Member
thats a nice rhyme u got there. i need to make something like that for my hammerdin. i agree with Dave lots and lots junk for the occasional high rune. countess runs are next on my list so i can make enigma (just need jah and ber to go with my ith). good luck.

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
This 30 seemed to go even better...starting fresh I ended up with:

1 el
1 tir
1 nef
2 ral
2 thul
2 amn
1 sol
1 shael
2 hel
1 lum

Thul and up were all drops, no gem-required cubing on this set. Also near the end she dropped:

Harlequin Crest
Shako
Defense: 116
Durability: 11 of 12
Required Strength: 50
Required Level: 62
Fingerprint: 0x1a7fdb35
+2 to Strength
+2 to Energy
+2 to Dexterity
+2 to Vitality
Damage Reduced by 10%
50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to All Skill Levels
+135 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+135 to Mana (Based on Character Level)

Hard to complain about another shako. :thumbsup: I moved the previous 60 runs to the rune mule but didn't cube yet, I'll have to before moving this group over there as he's 100% out of space.

Edit: Forgot to mention, a unique that was in my way on the way there on a run dropped a crappy % gheed's fortune. Also forgot to mention I got the run time down even further, skipping over everything except the countess, the racks, and monsters when absolutely necessary for safety.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
those runs are fairly decent actually. When I was running her the highest drop in the first 137 runs was single Hel rune. She finally loosened up and threw an Um at that point.

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
30 more this A.M.

2 eld
2 tir
1 ith
1 tal
1 ral
1 ort
1 sol
1 shael
1 hel
2 lum

This seems like a really good set of runs. The cubes from thul and up on this 30 were 3 thuls to amn and 3 amns to the sol. Both lums and the hel were drops. Also, no noteworthy item drops this set. This is probably the last I'll post on this thread, perhaps I'll start doing blocks of 50 and report on those in a new thread if anyone is interested.

MFMOFO

Banned
Don't cube them up everytime. Sotck a lot and cube them all together. You will be surprised by what you will get. :)

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
Your results are looking pretty good actually Tarr.

Add The Hand of Broc, Lenymo, Shako .... some people don't even have those items. Good runes too.

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm actually most excited about the Rising Sun. Think a 90+ character with 90 fire resist and that amulet can survive the FE bug? :teeth:

jjscud

Diabloii.Net Member
Tarr said:
I'm actually most excited about the Rising Sun. Think a 90+ character with 90 fire resist and that amulet can survive the FE bug? :teeth:
Nope, not a chance, that's why its considered a bug.

The fire absorb is completely irrelevant, it isn't counted until after the damage is calculated and dealt, at which point you're already dead.

jjscud

Diabloii.Net Member
grimsleeper said:
What is the FE bug?
Basically, a Fire Enhanced Unique deals a huge amount of fire damage on death. The damage is so large that a full resists, high life char still has no chance of surviving a full blast. Blizzard has recognized this as a bug had patched it server side for realm play.

There are a few other components to the bug such as FE ancients dealing un-survivable FE damage to anything on the screen without directly attacking or dieing. Also some boss types that deal some elemental damage (dung beetle and embalmed for example) may deal some FE damage through these elemental discharges and those of their minions.

For a better explanation, there is a full FAQ about it in the stickies.

grimsleeper

Diabloii.Net Member
jjscud said:
Basically, a Fire Enhanced Unique deals a huge amount of fire damage on death. The damage is so large that a full resists, high life char still has no chance of surviving a full blast. Blizzard has recognized this as a bug had patched it server side for realm play.

There are a few other components to the bug such as FE ancients dealing un-survivable FE damage to anything on the screen without directly attacking or dieing. Also some boss types that deal some elemental damage (dung beetle and embalmed for example) may deal some FE damage through these elemental discharges and those of their minions.

For a better explanation, there is a full FAQ about it in the stickies.
Thanks jjscud

~GrimSleeper
http://gamersgraveyard.************/