Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

seemingly weird trade to me

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by CoolguyBad, Apr 30, 2008.

1. CoolguyBad

CoolguyBad IncGamers Member

seemingly weird trade to me

Hey everyone, I'm new here, I started playing LOD again recently and it's been pretty fun. I never had great knowledge with the economy, even when I played (I was in junior high school, and I let me older friends handle most of the things), but I'm trying to learn now.

Anyways, I traded someone 3 low runes (El, Eld, Tir) for seemingly decent items, such as Que-Hegan's Wisdom.

Did i get ripped? I thought low runes weren't worth anything really, so I thought it definitely couldn't be more than that, even if the armor wasn't much. Is there any reason why someone would want low runes so badly?

2. Noammr

Noammr IncGamers Member

Re: seemingly weird trade to me

Lots of players stop collecting lower runes at some point...but then when they want to make one of the runewords they suddenly need a low rune and don't want to bother finding it themselves so they might trade an 'ok' item for low runes. I'm guessing that's what happened in your case.

3. Bob The Barbarian

Bob The Barbarian IncGamers Member

While gold is the "official" currency of the game, the true currencies (or used currencies) are pgems and runes.

Runes definately have value. Can you say "runeword"? (sure you can!)

I would say the the value of a rune depends on the use a person has in making runeworded items. There are definately some runewords which are more used than others. Some perfect examples are a HOTO or SPIRIT or INSIGHT.

PULs, for whatever reason seem to be the common denominator for runes. Ever see the trade games? Shako for PUL, PUL for 40 pgems, 4 open socket flail for PUL. And the list goes on. Always a good idea to have a few PULs laying around for that item you need when you see it offered. Also, PULs are close to high runes in that they are the jump off point where it takes two of a type of rune to cube to a higher rune. If you don't want to keep a lot of high runes around because you're not sure of what you will need, a boatload of PULs is a viable answer. See an anni for trade for a high rune? Join the game and see what the person wants, then cube as necessary. Some high runes are used in lots of rune words (such as the BER, IST, or VEX), others are practically useless (ZOD for example). Strange that the highest rune in the game has so little use unless you want to make an item indescrutible. The ZOD is only used in one runeword item (Breath of the Dying).

PS If you don't get "ripped" at least once in trading, then you're still a "noob". *big grin*. I had an anthrax charm, 80+ to poison damage, which I traded for something of low value. Live and learn.

4. benedictarnold

benedictarnold IncGamers Member

just an fyi, a zod rune is also highly sought after for the indestructible mod. all awesome/godly items need to be socketed with zod to make it indestructible. rares and uniques can have one open socket using larzuk's socketing quest making the zod useful for ethereal items u wish to use on your character. of course, mercs can use ethereal items since the armor/weapons given to them will never break

5. Bob The Barbarian

Bob The Barbarian IncGamers Member

I believe I mentioned that mod for the ZOD rune in my post. Still the only real use of the ZOD is to make an etheral item indestructible when you plan to use that item on your character instead of your merc. As you know, you can repair all other items, so why bother to make them indestructible?

I see loads of ZODs being offered in trade for lower runes such as VEX, IST, BER, etc. That right there tells me of their lower relative value. Seems the highest rune in the game should have a little more going for it. I would add the mod +attributes to the rune - or +skill. Now that would make it sought after.

6. Noammr

Noammr IncGamers Member

I agree with bob, highly sought after really isn't the definition for zod runes. They're usualy considered the less valuable hrs along with Sur, Cham and sometime Vex (at least on EuScL).

There're plenty of great items that aren't ethereal and considering that you give up the socket slot when you socket an ethereal item with a zod, that item really needs to be outstanding for most players to consider better then a good non-eth item (which can be socketed with a nice jewel too).