Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

-seed command

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tarr, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

-seed command

According to the FAQ, this is generally accepted only if used to recover a map seed? How exactly does it work? I like my pally's map for pit runs an awful lot...if I went back to norm to use a socket quest, then used this command, it would restore my hell map? And it's acceptable as long as I turn the command off immediately after restoring the map? This info still current?

2. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

To avoid drop 'issues' like same items with same fingerprints you should start the game with -seed xxxxxx, create a game with the char you want to restore the map, then exit the game completely (return to windoze).

After that you can enter the game again with the char (without the -seed) and it will keep the seed.

WARNING: Some SPF members find that... well not cheating but almost...

3. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Why all this trouble for a pit map, they are not that difficult to find.

Randall

4. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

Well, it isn't just the pit map. That just happens to be my favorite aspect. The main thing is the map I have in hell currently, while not fully mapped, is pretty close. All paths to sparky boxes in all areas, all optional dungeons, quest areas, everything is mapped start to finish. Doing this in 1.10 as a pally in the mid 70s, which is what he was at the time I did it, was, to use a pun, hellish. Thus, I'd really like to keep the map. But I'd like to go to normal and use up that socket/personalization/imbue first.

5. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

If I am correct you will keep the map seed (and layout) while using the -seed command. But your map will not be "fully mapped" anymore.
    You will loose the map files themselves while going to normal and back.

Randall

EDIT: If you really need socketing, just twink a new character and push him/her to Act 5. If you have decent twink gear you can go melee with just about any character and reach it fast.

6. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

Oh. Well, that really sucks. :(

If I didn't have to worry about bugged instakills in half the areas of the game, I wouldn't care about remapping everything, it would actually probably be fun. :(

7. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Is it possible to backup your map files, do the socket quest, load the map files, and you'll get back everything? Or not? If so, is it allowed? :scratch:

8. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

I thought about this as well, but I figured that it would certainly be considered illegitimate in these forums. If I do indeed go back to normal to fill out those quest rewards, chances are good that I'll just end up mapping them all out again anyway and hoping instakillers don't stick it to me too bad.

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

with changing the map seed, only maps will be reset. Quest redoing (by backuping your save-file) is considered cheating and is highly illegit here. Imagine the Hellforge quest doing over and over again... IMHO it's in the same category as duping items.

10. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

No, that's not what I was talking about, and I don't think it's what he was talking about either. I meant backing up the map files (Tarr.map, Tarr.ma0, etc.) and changing to normal, socketing my HoZ, personalizing it, bringing some white elite from hell to imbue, then restoring the backed up map files to keep the hell map intact. This still seems to me as if it'd be frowned upon by the forum.

11. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

disclaimer: I'm only 95% sure of the following :)

The actual map (layout of pathways, structures, doors, etc) is contained in the character file (.d2s). The image of the explored area of that map is stored in the map files (.ma*), and is used for the on-screen map overlay functions only.

So...
    I'm assuming you mean going back a difficulty to to the socket quest, then reloading your higher difficulty .ma* files. When you go back a difficulty, the game automatically resets your map seed (within the .d2s file), thus changing your maps. Since the .ma* (image only) files relate to a different seed, they will not work anymore. As soon as you re-start the game at your higher difficulty, the game will create a new .ma* file for that difficulty, overwriting the one you placed there.

Now there are ways around this, but that's where you start manipulating map seeds, which enters the grey "legitimancy zone".

12. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

@AE:

The .d2s only contains the map seed number, not the actual map layout itself. But for each seed number there is only 1 possible map.

What is thought of here is:
    - Note seed number in ATMA
    - backup <charname>.m* files
    - go back to normal and do socket quest
    - use -seed to restore map
    - restore <charname>.m* files
    - play game without -seed but with old map + old map files

I'm note sure if it's legit or even possible

Randall

13. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Diablo automatically stores your last several map overlays. And checks them all to see if any match. This means that if you go to normal, then return to hell with a -seed comand, exit, and then restart diablo and enter hell with your char, the game will most definately find your map overlay, it will not be lost. I am quite certain as I've done it many times.

If you swap maps for or five times and then restore your seed it will no longer be albe to find the overlay but just one change will be fine.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who finds it a bit odd that the game stores multiple map overlays but doesn't make any use of them without using the -seed comand?

14. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

hmm how do you actually enable it, i.e. where do you type -seed?