Second-grader suspended for saying "hell".

Anakha1

Banned
Second-grader suspended for saying "hell".

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A second-grader was suspended for a day for telling a classmate he would go to hell for saying, "I swear to God."

Brandy McKenith, 7, was suspended for swearing for saying the word "hell," but her family says she was referring to the biblical location of fire and brimstone.

She served the suspension Tuesday.

The Pittsburgh Public Schools' student code of conduct prohibits profanity, but doesn't provide a definition, spokeswoman Pat Crawford said. The school would not comment further.

Brandy's father, Wayne McKenith, said when he learned about the suspension, he thought perhaps his daughter had said something worse, so he called the teacher for details. He was told another student overheard his daughter say the word.

"I said, 'Hell? She got suspended for that?"' McKenith said.

He said he asked the school to evaluate its profanity policy.

"'Hell' is like the least of the words in school today," McKenith said. "You go home and turn on the TV tonight and tell me how many times you hear the word 'hell.' And I mean network TV, not even cable."

Without a clear definition, the district could run into problems enforcing the policy, said Witold Walczak, legal director of the Greater Pittsburgh chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.

"The school's policy says 'no profanity' and that's not further defined," Walczak said. "How should this little girl know that 'hell' is not allowed?"

"It's questionable whether 'hell' is even a profanity, and it certainly isn't in the way that she used it," he added.

McKenith, a suburban Pittsburgh police detective, said family members aren't "religious fanatics," but there's a healthy respect for the Lord, so he accepts his daughter's explanation.

"She's under the assumption that good people go to heaven and ... bad people go to hell," he said Wednesday.
Linkage

zrk

Diabloii.Net Member
thats pretty harsh. its nice i dont live in america. thank god im not american

SomeCanadianGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Read that article in the Gazette this morning.

Utter stupidity, if you ask me. Anyone who knows anything about christian or catholic faith would understand what the little was referring to. She was referring to the fact that the other student said "I swear to God." That's taking the Lord's name in vain. And it goes against one of the Ten Commandments. Which would be why she said the other student was going to go to hell, because he went against one of the commandments.

I know there's more and more of a separation between religion and education (not a bad thing if you ask me, but that's a different topic), but to suspend a 7 year old girl for having told someone that he would go to hell for having gone against one of the commandments is a bit exaggerated. I think it goes back to freedom of religion. If she believes that he would go to hell for having sinned, and that that's her religious conviction, then so be it. She's allowed to believe in whatever she wants, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

masterazn

Banned
There was this one school who had this big policy about the "s-word", that's what they called it. And we were discussing about the S-Word policy and they all took it as a very serious problem. Of course, I didn't know what the S-word was, I assumed it was the one referring to droppings....it turned out the S-word was "stupid"

toader

Banned
zrk said:
thats pretty harsh. its nice i dont live in america. thank god im not american
You better thank God...we have it horrible here. Kids saying Hell, gaay marriages in MA, kids named Mike Rowe making websites....I ask myself each day how I struggle thru this land called America.

Anakha1

Banned
SomeCanadianGuy said:
She's allowed to believe in whatever she wants, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.
I'd be rather irritated with the child if she told MY child that he was going to hell. How am I supposed to respond to that if he comes running home freaked out that he's going to burn for eternity? I'd want the child's parents to inform her that telling that sort of thing to other children is not acceptable. I sitll wouldn't suspend her over it, though.

toader

Banned
masterazn said:
Who's Mike Rowe?
Long story short:

Kid named Mike Rowe made a website named www.mikerowesoft.com. Well, microsoft didnt like that, they tried to bully him into giving it up, and offered him 10 bucks. Her counter offered with 1000 bucks. They settled for a Xbox.

Underseer

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, I think a 7 year old telling another 7 year old they're going to Hell is worse than a 7 year old using profanity.

Arokthis

Diabloii.Net Member
I know someone who used "the b-word" and got detention. Turned out "butthead" is a naughty word around here.

Wolv

Diabloii.Net Member
Society is degenerating w/ its political correctness and zero tolerance.

Also, for those offended by one 7 yr old saying another one is going to hell....gimme a break. Since when are children supposed to be protected to such a degree? How are children going to learn to value and think for themselves when U have society rushing in to protect them from trivial encounters?

Lets raise kids that can think for themselves and have some common sense. There is already a severe lack of common sense in many school policies....

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't have children yet so I can't respond with what I'd do exactly if I was the father of the child who was told that he was going to hell... but my guess is I'd sit down and write a list of horrible names to call that Jesus loving punk kid.