Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sec. Rumsfeld to step down?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RevenantsKnight, Nov 8, 2006.

1. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

Sec. Rumsfeld to step down?

I have to say, I really didn't see this coming, assuming that the announcement is not premature. Link from CNN.

Personally, I am not too knowledgeable about Rumsfeld's impact on the Iraq war and other matters, but given the number of (former?) military officers who have stated a lack of confidence in him, I'd say a change would probably be a good thing. Anyone have a more informed perspective on this?

2. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Now that the voters have started to turn on the Republicans, he's probably going to be the administration's scapegoat for the Iraq war.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

If I were a cynical bastard, I'd bet that he gets ye olde presidential pardon forthwith. Luckily, my parents were married when I was conceived, so I'm just cynical. Way to cut and run, Rumzilla!

I'd bet that he gets ye olde presidential pardon forthwith.

4. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Rummy knew the party was over when the House was lost. No need to wait fo the Senate, since only the House was needed to cut off funding to the military if Rummy stayed on. So he took one on the chin for his boss. At least Rummy wasn't a money hungering whore like his subordinate Dick Cheney. But I and George Bush got our wish.

One gone, one left. We shall see whether Dick Cheney has a health condition that prevents him from continuing in his President's cabinet.

If not, I smell impeachment.

5. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Rummy's held rolls from the headsman's axe as the Bush adminstration tetters and wobbles from yesterday's mid-term elections.

And the people chant:

We will

We will

Rock you!

6. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

To llad2: the crowing over Rumsfeld's political body isn't exactly helping your cause, you know...

Er...I may just be dense, but don't you need to be charged with a crime for the president to pardon you? Rumsfeld has faced lots of criticism for his leadership, but he isn't under investigation or anything, as far as I know.

7. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

The cause? Are you stuck in the mid-19th century or what?

Rumsfeld should have been forced to resign years ago. This adminstration has disgraced our nation.

The people have spoken. Paybacks are hell. :devil:

8. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

Good to see you've taken the constructive approach.

Well done:thumbsup:

9. Road Ratt

Road Ratt IncGamers Member

What do you expect? If the election had gone the other way there would now be a righty on this forum gloating over their win instead of starting a pity party, it's a right of the winning party (and to some an obligation).

O.T.: It was well past time for Rumsfeld to get the axe. It seems that this has been in the planning for some time now even though just days ago G.W. came out and said that Cheney and Rumsfeld would be a part of his administration through jan. '09. Obviously after the sound thumping the Reps. took in the election yesterday they can see that they can't just keep going on with business as usual anymore.

10. EliManning

EliManning IncGamers Member

If I'm not mistaken, Rumsfeld holds the record for longest term as Secretary of Defense in American history. It was probably time for him to go before Iraq even got started. He got his legacy war, it became a quagmire, he paid the political price. Case closed. This just goes to show you that while the American people are infinitely patient with incompetence, they will not for long tolerate evil.

11. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

They couldn't axe him before the elections, because that would have been tantamount to declaring that they had made a mistake. But after the election, now they can cut their losses and play the "It was all his fault!" card.

12. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

This is pretty much what I was expecting.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

There is also some suggestion that he fears commissions and whatever it is you call Inquests now that the Democrats have control of at least the lower house.

Even if they can't make anything actually stick they can drag him through the mud. It's probably better for his political legacy to leave now.

I too find that sort of thing detestable.

So you're saying they're naturally Democrats?

14. EliManning

EliManning IncGamers Member

I'm just saying I think Rumsfeld as an individual is on the wrong side of that fine line between incompetence and evil. At the very least incompetence doesn't stay in power as long as he did.

15. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

On top of being incompetent, Rummy was just a jerk and an egomaniac.

Pretty amazing of how petty he can get. There were at least one instance of Rummy refusing to use an interpreter from the state department because of his personal vendetta. So foreign dignitaries were force to sit there for hours with ZERO communications for lack of a Pentagon interpreter. Amazing.

No wonder former president George Bush hated Rummy's guts since the 90s.

Enjoy your retirement you freaking psycho.

... BTW, Rummy can't read this message can he?

16. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Does that hand you're reaching out to the other 49% of America really have a knife in it, or am I just imagining things?

EDIT: I'm glad he finally quit.

17. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

If 49% of America is pro-Rumsfeld the nation is well and truly @%$#ed.

18. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Sorry I wasn't clear. That comment was not in reference to Rumsfeld. It was directed at llad's petty jiggly-puff dance (as I quoted).

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

If only we could vote for individual cabinet members (not sure what Americans call them)...

20. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

OK, gotcha Bortaz. :smiley:

Yeah, Mac probably meant "Bush will give him a Presidential Medal of Freedom."
    "Cabinet members." Since we don't have a Brit-style parliamentary system there's no way for voters to send the secretary of whatever packing when he turns out to be a bonehead.