Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Seatle Supersonics (Taxpayer vs Owner)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by razen, Apr 18, 2008.

1. razen

razen IncGamers Member

Seatle Supersonics (Taxpayer vs Owner)

For those of you in europe or don't care about sports, supersonics is a NBA team in seatle... durr...

so basically, it's going to be moved to oklahoma city. the new owners said he will try to keep the team in seatle, and that was part of the original agreement for the sell, but evidence now showed that the new owner had no intention of honoring that contract from day 1.

i don't care about that.

what i do care about... is the fact that the owner said to the city:

"give us money for a new stadium or kiss your team bye bye"

wait a second... WHAT?

you are buying a sports franchise, you are planning to make revenue off of it, and the city taxpayers WHO MIGHT NEVER GO TO A NBA GAME, are now building a new stadium for you?

the counter argument of course, is that nba brings money to the city, so city should help pay for it.

in another word: the little people... the one not as rich as the owners nor represent the government, you guys are getting screwed over no matter what.

sports, at its very essence, is only an entertainment. you cannot ransom a city of money that could be going to the poor or building highways for a new stadium to make money for you and a few privelege few. how fair is that?

anyways, that's my view. give me yours

2. evild2player

evild2player IncGamers Member

Re: Seatle Supersonics (Taxpayer vs Owner)

I agree with you. But in the end, the business world is all about money. It must really suck to have your team leave the city, especially with a promising rookie on the team.

3. razen

razen IncGamers Member

that is the thing! if it's so business like, then don't ask the taxpayers for money! don't make all those false ads claiming that you care about "tradition" and "heritage"

make this all business? fine, make it all business.

seatle supersonics had always existed... it's a symbol for the city. it's obviously unfair to ask a private organization to commit to public cause. i get that. the oklahomians that bought the team and fulfuill their childhood wish of having a team in their home town? cool... that's the american dream

but don't come out all justified saying "yea, im only doing this because you don't want me here."

or lying to the people "yea... all i care about is the tradition in the city"

cause clearly... all that's completely untrue. i swear to god, NBA is one of the most ungenuine sports organization EVER. it's one thing to have a bad image, but quite another to be spitting out lies all the time.

NBA cares? NBA obviously doesn't care. where is NBA's contribution in New Orlean? just because they showed a few phony ads showing that chris paul or whoever showed up to a charity event for 20 min? BS.

and now this...

(p.s. i don't live in seatle)

i really worry... are the wizards going to move after their contract expire and sell to new owner? or is he going to random us for more money for a new stadium again? hell, is microsoft going to ransom us somedays? "give us money for a new office building... or we moving to china."

*shudders

4. synx

synx Diablo: IncGamers Member

From India to China isn't that big of a move :grin:

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

Very fair. It's entertainment business. If the owner of the desired item does not get the money it wants, it should be able to go to other places to look for the money. If I have a job and I have a skill, and I'm not getting the desired salary, I have a right to go to another place.

A sports team and the accompanying stadium is thought of as capital in my opinion. It's a investment for the future. It is a fact that a successful stadium brings more money into the city than it would take to build it.

6. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Cities make millions or billions of dollars in revenue on their investment into the building of arenas/stadiums. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

7. Johnny

Johnny Banned

How does that work in context to already having a stadium and building a new one?

Are people going to go to twice as many games?

8. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

The old ones are usually torn down, and the property is rezoned or rebuilt. The city is still going to make money from it.

9. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Razen, it's spelled Seattle, just so you know for future reference.

What a terrible turn of events. It'll hurt a little inside watching Kevin Durant play for an Oklahoma team.

10. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Well as Bort said, the city brings money in when it has a fancy place for its basketball team. Is the little guy getting screwed? Only if the benefits of the new money coming into town don't cover what the little guy has to pay for.