Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Season 3 Announced what will you be playing.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Muggs, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Muggs

Muggs Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

With season 3 announced for
    • North America: Friday, April 10 @ 6:00 p.m. PDT
    • Europe: Friday, April 10 @ 6:00 p.m. CEST
    I was curious what class everyone plans on playing? I have pretty much set my HC career in d3 with Monks and wizards so I am debating something different with either Sader, DH, or Barb. I am definitely leaning towards DH only because I have the least amount of time played with that class.

What is your interest in s3 or do you even plan on playing s3?

2. Timesink

Timesink IncGamers Member

What is your interest in s3 or do you even plan on playing s3?​

I'm sorry did you say S3 or D3? ;)

tougeznut likes this.
  3. Muggs

Are you completely done with d3?

4. Timesink

Well since you asked...no but I might be done with it until the next era and skip s3/era3 or whatever it is called right now.

I can't explain why but in games that have classes I tend to pick a class and stick with it. In WoW I was a mage 95% of the time for 6+ years. In Tera Online I was a evasion tanking warrior. In D3 I'm a wizard.

The idea of trying a new class every season just doesn't appeal to me. I tried messing around with a monk and a barb but it just doesn't feel "right" somehow. So given that I want to stick with wizard, the rushed nature of 2.2.0 has me doubting I want to try a wizard right now.

The Tal Rasha set mechanics are a disaster in my opinion. (And now that the damage of it was nerfed down to the levels of the other sets, many of its previous supporters are admitting that it does have horrible mechanics. They expected OP damage levels in return for putting up with clunky and tedious gameplay. That was never going to happen.)

The Opus set has potential but while it is closer to a good design than Tal's it isn't quite there. The base mechanics, damage, and costs of the underlying spells just have too many problems to be fixed with set bonuses alone. For whatever reasons Blizzard has decided they won't adjust skills, only add items and sets. I don't understand this.

Firebirds is improved but the thought of sticking playing FB again is just ... ugh. New items like triumverate apparently make new skills possible--fire arcane orb if you can believe it. I guess that would be interesting to try but I can't imagine it being the sole reason to try D3 this season/era.

I'm also annoyed with a number of the other game design decisions. With ancient items and uber set bonuses, T6 is now trivial content. As in sub 1 min run times. The only challenge left is pushing GR levels into the 50-60 range. Chasing GR levels can be fun but I hate that it is the ONLY challenge. T6 should be hard, T6 should be dangerous. T6 group play should require people coordinating together.

I also hate the "everything is sets" design choice. I'd much rather sets be a choice, not the only choice. Base skills and spells should be balanced and mixing and matching individual legs should support viable builds. I like it when people can be creative and come up with unique builds. The "here's how you play a FB wizard" way is boring.

All that said, I've been messing around with other games and nothing has me addicted at the moment. So I might mess around with season/era 3 just out of boredom. If I do it will be as a wizard.

5. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

...I might try out softcore for S3. The benefit of HC is entirely negated by the GR system. Infinite scaling of hp and damage doesn't work with HC. Skill only goes so far when anything can one shot you. So the ceiling for HC isn't your skill level. It's how good your gear is minus the damage you can take. I can still utilize my skill set in SC without the unavoidable damage holding me back so much.

I'm not doing this for sure, but I'm strongly considering it.

6. Muggs

If they continue to do these 60day seasons I will definitely be playing a SC season eventually just to see what it is like to push with zero fear. As for now I have been messing with my non seasons SC a bit here and there just for fun.

7. Timesink

If the end result of the current D3 design direction is dedicated HC players going SC then blech. I definitely would quit D3 altogether before playing SC. Getting a GR59 done but knowing I died 5000 times before that 1 success holds zero interest for me. To each is own though.

8. tougeznut

I still would play the way I do in HC, but I wouldn't fear death as much. For all I know I could be able to do mid to high 40's in SC and it would give me the confidence to try those in HC afterwards. It's still a HC test realm to me :).

Muggs and ZappaFan like this.
  9. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

I don't know if I have it in me to start again, especially with the weather getting nicer in the midwest.

10. Muggs

Unfortunately that is where the game is headed. It used to be HC and SC were equal you just played HC with zero deaths. HC used to have a better community too and better sharing of gear and more supportive but all that is gone. Now with no trading no one gives away gear, for the most part, in order to keep backups. In turn now in SC everyone drops everything since if it is not better it is a soul and there is no need to backup gear. People are also less likely to group in HC because of the power of unity and the fear of death. All this together has started to really hurt the HC community and players as a whole.

HC still has that addictive andrenaline rush but that is it.

11. Timesink

No argument Muggs but as for SC for me personally...I just can't. It would be like the NFL switching to flag football over concussion concerns and people saying "it's still football, watch it!" No thanks.

I'm obviously very burned out on D3 in general so don't let my pessimism derail your fun. Like I said, I might mess around with this season or I might just wait to see what the xpac brings next year.

GL HF DD ... er unless you play SC in which case just GL HF. :p

12. Muggs

Even though I said all the things I did everytime I try and play SC I just can't bring myself to it. I played HC in d2 and pretty much all of D3 too so playing SC just feels foreign to me.

That being said I really want to run focus & restraint but damn I can't see ever giving up my unity in HC.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  13. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

All the above posts have pretty much summed up the reason I play NON Ladder... 60 days to rebuild makes me lol. There is NO way I can get back the 500+ paragon levels, items, etc Ive built up with my current job of sun up till sun down and really only being able to play on weekends ( if I can get some me time)..

I did s2 till paragon 140 or so and never found 1 item that I didn't already have that made me go WOW this is worth playing seasons... Am I missing something here ?? Maybe only the companionship or never having to solo, 2 things that really don't bother me much anyways.

Long story short - I doubt I will be playing S3, " And so If you do not listen then to hell which u " /conan voice off...

14. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

A new season is fun at the beginning when everybody is starting fresh, but, for me it loses the charm pretty quickly. I'm a little mystified at the appeal of seasonal play, other than it gives everybody a new feeling of accomplishment that they aren't getting playing non-season. But to me, what is anybody really accomplishing? There really isn't much "season only" content, that's for sure. Not anything that I don't mind just waiting for the season to end to check out.

tougeznut likes this.
  15. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

I feel the same about seasons, but I do notice here and on the us blizz forums there are far more NS players than in EU for some reason. My friend list has 3 NS players and about 50 season, unfortunately...

16. Solwolf

Solwolf Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

This exactly. I really enjoyed the first night of s2 leveling with other people and watching a weak character get stronger. But then a day later I was level 40 and most of the clan was in torment 1, and I lost interest. The problem with seasons, for me anyway, is that it feels like it takes so long to hit t1, and that's when the time investment starts seeing returns. Before then, you can easily go 3 rifts without seeing a unique, and that's blah blah blah.

I'd love to tweak my zoo doc with the new Zunis, but I don't have it in me to grind out the gear in a season to make it work, especially when it's sitting right there on my non-seasonal WD with a shiny Kukri to boot.

ZappaFan likes this.
  17. Timesink

I agree with you Sol but just in case it helps...

The trick to gearing up in season is GRs, specifically low level GRs like 1-11. You can do a GR1 pretty much as soon as you hit 70 with no issues. The trick is getting keys to get into trials, since they don't drop 100% from rifts at lower difficulty levels. But what I did was do a rift at whatever level I could (say hard), get a rift key, do a GR1, make sure you finish with about 4-6 min left max, do a GR2/3, etc.

The cool thing about GRs is that they almost always drop a leg and they can drop any leg, even torment ones. It did not take me long to get geared up and was noticeably faster than trying master level rifts and getting zero legs each run.

That said I don't like seasons either. Just wanted to throw that out there in case it was helpful to someone.

Aahzmadius and ZappaFan like this.
  18. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

I thought trial keys only dropped in torment or higher, so you still need to be geared for that? No?

"The cool thing about GRs is that they almost always drop a leg" this has not been my experience.

My experience has been gather up as many shards as you can, hope you get those goblins, and gamble away. This is how I have gotten most of my gear. Not drops.

Hahah, solwolf, over lunch today I ran 3- t4 rifts without a leg dropping. I find almost none at lower levels.

I concur with zappa, I am mystified by the number of folks that play seasons. I only play as there where only 2 or 3 in our clan that did not and I like to play with others sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  19. Timesink

You get a decent amount of keys from a GR1 so yeah, use those to gamble.

I'm convinced GR1s are much faster way to gear than low difficulty rifts. (I'm pretty sure you can get a rift key from a non-torment rift but I may have that wrong.) In any case, only spent a few days each before I was T6 ready on both my monk and wizard in seasons.

20. tougeznut

You may need to be T1 to get those keys, but getting to T1 is only matter of crafting or enchanting a decent rare in every slot. That takes anywhere from 1-3 hours of play at 70. It also helps if you're comfortable taking some risks.

Muggs likes this.