Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Searching for the best skellie prebuff head

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Pherdnut, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Searching for the best skellie prebuff head

Is the best possible head a +3 RS/+3 SM with the splendor runeword? I never seem to find low level skiller heads in the higher difficulties so I'm guessing +3/+3 along with an additional bonus to all or summoning on a magic or rare head isn't a possible find.

So is the best thing to do to go back to Act I normal and do Den runs or is there a better place?

My other concern is that I'm not certain heads found at that level will get 2 sockets or not.

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

All Necromancer heads get 2 sockets, so a) Spirit isn't an option, and b) even a normal-Bloodmoor head will get 2 sockets.

As for spawning +2 summoning or +3 summoning on a head with +raise skeleton and +skeleton mastery... I don't know. I know that there is some connection between the ilvls and the skills that can spawn, but I never needed the details of this myself...

You can, however, make a little experiment: take a high level char and shop drogman in nightmare or hell: if you see items (wands, staffs... doesn't matter) with lvl 1 skills, then you can find those heads with +3 summoning on them.

That's because your level determines the ilvl of the items you get offered, and the rules for what can or cannot spawn on an item is the same for shops and monsters. So if the shop generates an ilvl 80 item with a lvl 1 skill then a monster can do the same.

Or you could just wait for a knowledgeable person to tell you the details about which skills can spawn on which items :)

3. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Can't give a 100% answer, but I was told that +3 Lightning Skills and +3 Charged Bolt orbs can't spawn. So I guess it's the same for necro heads. :(

4. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Yes, but RS and SM are both lvl 1 skills, so their in the same "tier".

I don't think +2 summon can spawn with them, but i'm pretty sure +1 summon can.

However, that'd be just the same +skills as a splendor and probably harder to find.

I was worried about that too, but a head I found in tristram with +3 RS and +2 Amp got two OS from Larzuk, so it should work.

Uh, Tristram might be a good choice. I only say that because I find alot of necro heads there, though, it may just be luck.

5. Pherdnut

I found a +1 PNB +3 Bonespear head, so I know at least +1 is definitely possible. I don't think I've ever seen +skills on a +3 skill tab head. Not sure about +to all though. I think skillers might be possible on a +2 all.

6. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

+3 pnb +3 bone spear is possible, however, +3 RS +3 Summoning/+2 all (+1 all?) is not, it's because of the level differences in the skill.

7. Pherdnut

I've been looking at the atma drop calculator. A lot of act I areas have monsters with the best chance to drop Preserved Heads, but the Tower appears to have the most, has lots of monsters to kill, and of course you can work your way up to those amns and sols by hitting the countess at the end of each run.

I'm not sure what lvl monsters have to be in order to drop +3 staff skill mods though.

Edit: Actually, Dark Wood looks great simply for the hordes of canon fodder. Might as well hit that before moving on to the Black Marsh and Tower. About half the monster types in Tristram have the best chance of dropping preserved heads too.

Wish I knew more about how staff mods are generated. Do enemies have to be a certain level in order to spawn items with +3 stuff?

8. Pherdnut

The Trist runs worked! After about 20 games with full players a gray head popped up and lo and behold, it had 2 sockets 3 RS, and 2 SM (I was content to settle with this rather than hope for a +3/+3).

However, I've run into a bizarre problem. I socketed with splendor and traded out a +2 all head that I had (which had confusion BTW so yes, it appears any skills are possible with + to all). Before, I could summon 11 skellies with my AoKL and the +2 Head and then when I switched back I would have 9. I'm still getting 11, but when I when I switch back it kills an extra skellie for some reason and I end up with 8 even though the skill says I can have 9 and I can in fact raise an additional with my nonprebuff gear. Anybody have any idea what's going on here? I'm level ** and my poison synergies are almost maxed. I don't want to have to put more points into RS if I don't have to. My plus gear is the following:

Triple Trangs - Wing, Belt, Gloves
    +2 PNB Tiara with resist 15 to all and 49 lightning
    Death's Web (+2 all, +1 PNB)
    Rare +2 all Necro Ammy
    29 MF magic ring, 29 Nagel
    Skullder's Ire
    War Travs

On switchout, AoKL and +3RS, +2 SM Splendor runeword preserved head for an additional +1.