Searching for Sockets

MartinLong

Diabloii.Net Member
Searching for Sockets

Hey all,

I'm curious as to which items types I should be keeping and with how many sockets per item. When I run around I collect all items that have more than 1 socket thinking it might be useful at some point.

Currently all I know is:

3os Body Armour for Enigma (when ever that may be), Breast Plate is optimal for a hdin.
5os Phase Blade for CtA

What about all other items? Fail types, Sword types (I have loads from flambride, to broad sword), helms, polearms?

For a Act 2 HF merc, I have seen recommendations of using a CV for Insight, the CV has a slow attack speed, but I assume it makes up for in it's damage. I've come cross one CV so far, attempted to craft some sockets and it came out with one. Can this be rerolled for more sockets through some recipe? (tried just rerolling the socket recipe - no go).

I know it's a lot to ask, but my stash of socketed items is getting large and I don't know what to do with them all :p

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Searching for Sockets

I'm curious as to which items types I should be keeping and with how many sockets per item. When I run around I collect all items that have more than 1 socket thinking it might be useful at some point.
I think it will be easier for you if you made a wish list for yourself about which runewords you want to make, and then figure out the best (+ maybe some that would be 'good enough') item types from there.

For a Act 2 HF merc, I have seen recommendations of using a CV for Insight, the CV has a slow attack speed, but I assume it makes up for in it's damage. I've come cross one CV so far, attempted to craft some sockets and it came out with one. Can this be rerolled for more sockets through some recipe? (tried just rerolling the socket recipe - no go).
The only way to reroll it would be to use 3 regular-sized gems, but that will end up as a magical (non-eth.) weapon with random prefix/suffix and 1-2 sockets. So not possible to make a runeword in.

CVs have a very steep STR requirement. Even an ethereal one requires STR 200, so that will limit the options for the helm/armor. I think a Thresher would be better, but it´s harder to get a 4-socket Thresher than a CV.

I think all ethereal elite spears/polearms/2h-swords are worth a closer look as potential merc runeword weapons. For example, in the Randomly Challenged tournament, I have a Necromancer whose Act V merc uses an ethereal 'Crescent Moon' Legend Sword. He really kicks the monsters' butts, especially if I cast Amplify Damage on them.

I know it's a lot to ask, but my stash of socketed items is getting large and I don't know what to do with them all :p
Work on a socketed item grail (= all possible variants)? :wink:

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator

cta should be made in crystal, for less requirements

keep 40s crystals and broads and monarchs for spirits

4os and 5os flails for hoto and cta

elite bows with 4+ sockets, esspecially grand matrons with + skills

there are lots of good recipies for swords and axes with 4+ sockets, especially keep berserker axes

keep eth versions of these too as they are good for mercs and indestructible recipies.

zoo

Diabloii.Net Member

For a Act 2 HF merc, I have seen recommendations of using a CV for Insight, the CV has a slow attack speed, but I assume it makes up for in it's damage.
The main reason that CV is recommended is because it can have a maximum of 4 sockets. If you get a normal, superior or ethereal CV (white or grey) from a monster and take it straight to Larzuk and use the socketing quest it will always end up having 4 sockets, wich is the requirement to make Insight.

Flail and its exceptional and elite versions are the only one handed weapons possible to make Heart of The Oak in. Since flails normaly can have a maximum of 5 sockets it is a good idea to hold on to a 4 socket one if you intend to make Heart of The Oak in the future.

Zhoul

Diabloii.Net Member

as long as 4 socs flails go. cant you just take a white flail from normal act 4 or something like that and give it to larzuk and it gets 4 socs instead of five, because i think i read somewhere, that in normal, the amount of maximum sockets is not only determined by the item type, but by the area you find that item in. for example: i' ve never found a 4 soc flail until act v or later. most of the flails i find in normal are in act 3 and if they had sockets they where always 3 soc or less. the same with crystal swords.
i dont know the exact mechanic, maybe someone can clarify that.

MartinLong

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for all the info. I'm surprised that I never realized that Laz can give you more than one socket too! Wow, was that a post .08 addition?

zoo

Diabloii.Net Member

as long as 4 socs flails go. cant you just take a white flail from normal act 4 or something like that and give it to larzuk and it gets 4 socs instead of five, because i think i read somewhere, that in normal, the amount of maximum sockets is not only determined by the item type, but by the area you find that item in. for example: i' ve never found a 4 soc flail until act v or later. most of the flails i find in normal are in act 3 and if they had sockets they where always 3 soc or less. the same with crystal swords.
i dont know the exact mechanic, maybe someone can clarify that.
You are right in that the item level determines the max sockets an item can have. This is why I wrote the bit about CV's the way I did, trying not to get too technical. But I totaly forgot about this when talking about the Flail. Thanks for noting this Zhoul! :)

I guess we have to get more technical then. Even though I'm aware of that the ilvl of an item can affect the maximum amount of sockets an item can have, I don't know exactly how this thing works. If this only applies to normal versions of items or if it affects exceptional and elite versions as well for example. So I'd rather leave this to someone else to explain. :)

Edit: Here is a explaination for this including a list with items and the maximum amount of sockets possible for different ilvls. Diablo wiki about sockets.
It looks like this affacts both exceptional and elite as well as normal items. However, I believe that exceptional items found in nightmare difficulty act 2 or later and elite items will always be of high enough ilvl that this doesn't apply to them unless you change the ilvl using a cube recipe.

Last edited:

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Here is a list of all the items and how many max. sockets they can have at different item levels.

Note that if you 'normalize' a low quality/crude/cracked/damaged item with the chippie + El/Eld* recipe, the item level is set to 1. This makes getting 3-socketed items (e.g. elite armors and weapons) easier.

(* Eld for weapons, El for armor items)

Items that drop with sockets in Normal have a max of 3 sockets and items that drop with sockets in Nightmare have a max of 4 sockets. However, this restriction is not applied if you take a non-socketed item and create sockets with recipe or Larzuk reward - only ilvl matters then.