Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"Scythemancer"

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ToxicOne, Apr 6, 2004.

1. ToxicOne

ToxicOne IncGamers Member

"Scythemancer"

Hi everyone, have anybody some strategy or advice for "Scythemancer" build??? (if anything like that exists...)

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

The build you are referring to is actually called a Meleemancer. Now before any advice is given on the distribution of skill points I would like to know if you are planning on using minions or not. If you want to use minions then please specify what type of minion.

3. ToxicOne

I've played som necros long time ago. I've some exps. with skellies, but that didn't impressed me much. I've idea to go on my own with max sk. mastery and some revives, golem maybe, CE, amp. dmg and bone armor. Act I rogue merc seems to be ok (maybe).
    What's your opinion about that?
    Btw. greetings from Czech Republic... :)))

4. Mad Mantis

Skellies were completely redone in 1.10. They are now major killers. Revives pale in comparison to Skellies. Golems got knocked off. They are not really worth a bigger investment than one in CG and one in GM.

You will want to max Decrep and max at least one of the synergies of BA. Then you will need to get some DV. You can pump CE if you please. For a Merc go with a Nightmare Act II defensive Merc who uses a HF aura.

Czech, that is getting closer to home than all these Americans.

5. ToxicOne

Thanks, I'll take a look on it.
    Btw. I played pal, barb and ama before that and I have realized (it's only guess), that much better items are falling from monsters and chests with necro (all have same MF value). What do you think about it?

6. Mad Mantis

If you decide you do not want any Skellies then I can give an almost complete guide.

If you want Skellies I suggest you take a look at the Commandomancer. You can get a lot of good ideas from it even if you are not that rich.

On the matter of drops, I couldn't tell you. All the drops on all characters look the same to me.

7. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Not sure, it could be because you aren't American. All our chests only have cancer and our monsters have been driven out of their natural habitats. Would you like my quiver of bolts?

But in all seriousness, its either luck or killing speed. I threw a shako, some nagels, a skullders, and some mf charms on my p/s and he's storming through the pits even with multiple players in the game. That guy kills like nothing I've seen, eat your heart out hammerdins.

8. ToxicOne

OK, I'll take a look on Commandomancer build. Thanks again.

9. Mad Mantis

No problem. If you have any other questions feel free to ask them.

*/me mumbles something about wishing his own damn guide would be done soon*

10. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Use an upgraded Eth Grim's Burning Dead for major style points

11. negator

negator IncGamers Member

some blood red heavy armor and a nice circlet make you the best dressed necro in sanctuary.

12. EngelZ

EngelZ IncGamers Member

I recently found a grim's burning dead and would like to put it to good use (If I keep making necros from the items I find, I'll run out of builds, even if none are done ^-^)

I'm wondering about the meleemancer's damage. Does he get enough damage to be a viable contender in hell or does he tend to rely on minions?

What skill trees does he emphasize on? Obviously summons, but is there anything in bone? (Curses is like doh)

In curses, which would you put more points into, if any?

And lastly, if I already missed it smite me, where is this guide going to be? Is there going to be a link here?

13. Mad Mantis

The trouble with the Meleemancer is the lack of a Mastery or actual Combat Skill. This means we have now ay to raise the damage. PDaggergives poison damage, but isn't useable with all weapons. So the Meleemancer can do two things.

1. Rely on Minions alone and not deal actual damage.
    2. Make good use of the CB, OW and to a lesser extent DS mods.

My Meleemancer relies on option two alone. You could go for a mix of option one and two.

Depends on the type. A frontline general goes with minions BA and synergies and a lot of points in curses. A summonless Meleemancer will focus on BA and synergies and pump his curses even more.

All except LR. You can put a point in LR if you wish for Party play. Most curses get only one point, Decrep, DV and Attract get more. Weaken will not be used.

When I finally finish the damn thing it will be posted here in all its glory to be criticised by the esteemed members of the Necro forum.

14. Dio

Dio IncGamers Member

I've got a question about the poison dagger skill that would have an impact on any meleemancer. I've heard that there was and still is a bug with poison dagger where if you have it assigned as your left click skill but are using a weapon other than a dagger (meaning the skill is not available) and left click on a monster to attack, that while you don't get poison damage, you'll still get the AR bonus that poison dagger gives for your attack. Since poison dagger has a HUGE AR bonus this would seem to make life a lot easier for a scythe wielding necro. Can anyone comment on if this truly is an active bug, or did I just dream this up one day after too many consecutive hours in front of the computer? Thanks.

15. Necrochild313

No, the pdagger bug works and is still in effect :p

16. Mad Mantis

I'm against that bug. I think it is "cheap" in some way.

17. Necrochild313

I was going to note that you were going to smack them with a zerker axe for asking about that.

18. Mad Mantis

Glad to see somebody is paying attention.

Let's quit the OT before DK smites us with his Raging War Club of Instant Ban +15!

19. Necrochild313

Yes, but this is OnT in a sense, as it's about the Pdagger bug, relevant to any Meleeomancer, if they wantsa exploit

20. Mad Mantis

Man, it's Meleemancer! Not Meleeomancer or any of the other names. When I get my guide out there will be a section with jargon. Proper name for the proper build!