Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Scents tied to memories

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Broncobiv2, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

Scents tied to memories

Anyone have magical scents that are tied to memories of past girlfriends, or just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? I have two: Country Apple body lotion from Bath and Body Works, and Turquoise Seas body mist from Calgon.

I love smelling these fragrances, not because of the specific females they're tied to, but more of just a warm feeling inside knowing how happy I was when I was around those smells. So, not the actual people and events, but the emotions tied to them. And the fragrances bring back those feelings/emotions.

2. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

Somewhat, the smell usually reminds me of the person, which then brings the warm feeling inside.

The smell that I have in mind is this perfum that my ex used to wear. I dont know which one it is, but it seems to be more common now, or perhaps I am just losing my mind.

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

only bad smells stick with me

4. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I know what you mean, it is the same for me, bad smells have a way of sticking around for a while. It is like getting out of jail, the smell of a bunch of men that are wearing the same clothes for month's, all those people that didnt have showers for month's at the time, you know, people without money to buy thoothpaste and all that. Thats a smell that sticks for weeks.

5. Riegn

Riegn IncGamers Member

only smell that triggers my memory is rye and the puke feelign that follows it

6. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I used to love Sung for Men because my ex wore it and it smells awesome. But then my dad started wearing it and totally ruined it for me. I am quite taken with the Axe body sprays. Only the Phoenix one makes my knees weak though. I also like Hugo Boss.

7. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

An ex girlfriend of mine wears Issay Miyaki, and its fairly uncommon. Every once in a blue moon I'll smell it on someone (I can pick it up from a few dozen yards) and it'll spin me 180 degrees. Not so much because of the associations with her in particular (to be honest, the first word that comes to mind when thinking of her is "deceit"), but I can remember the fascination with the smell from before I dated her. It annoys me more than anything now, because it serves to remind me of things I really don't care to relive.

There are some very particular smells that bring back some amazing memories for me, though. One has to be the smell of spring in the northeast. Anyone whose lived through a winter in NY, Mass, Connecticutt, Vermont, etc, knows what I'm talking about. After months upon months of parched, cold, blustery snowy weather, you have that first day of 65 degrees or so, with a mild breeze and the sun out, and the first thing you do is throw open every window and door in the house. When I was in college the next step was to talk as many people as possible out of their classes, go pick up some nice beer (Sammy Spring Ale was always a nice one) and get daydrunk while enjoying the weather. Nothing finer in the world.

Another one is the fairly unique smell of a Buenos Aires night. The humid heat, a breeze blowing, and the faint whiff of all the smells of the city around you. Hard to describe, but it brings back so many memories of nights of debauchery and general high school mischief anytime I'm out and about in Buenos Aires at night in December or January.

8. toader

toader Banned

Anakah has it so easy...you give away all your secrets here. :lol:

9. Johnny6

Johnny6 IncGamers Member

I love the smell of bacon in the morning, afternoon, evening, or dead of night. And gasoline.

10. Night

Night IncGamers Member

A vanilla perfume that my ex used to wear. I used to love smelling a bit of it when we were together but not physically together to remind me of her, but now it makes me feel a bit sick.

That's the only one that immediately comes to mind.

11. toader

toader Banned

Gasoline is a good smell. I feel bad enjoying it. :uhhuh:

12. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

I don't know why, but I really, really like the smell of cocaine.

13. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Ew. I think I know exactly which one you're talking about, and it makes me physically ill. A very unattractive girl who I went to college with who was also a known bulemic used to douse herself in this crap all the time and then cozy up to the first male she could find. If you were unforunate enough to be stuck in that position, it was a difficult task indeed to extract yourself from the cloud of vomit/vanilla aroma, and it was often so strong that just being around her for a minute or two was enough that your clothes were permeated. Blegh.

14. ~Kazama Fury~

For some reason I also like the smell of gasoline, however I cant inhale as much as before.

15. SpiritWalker

SpiritWalker IncGamers Member

I can smell when my dad's home, because he smokes, even if he isn't doing it at that second. I can smell it in cars, terrible smell. Somehow I can't smell weed that good though.. I would make a bad narcotics dog.

Also non-specific smells like just the smell of my town, when I come back from a vacation, it gives certain nostalgic feelings.

16. ~Kazama Fury~

I can pick up weed pretty easily, but its nothing to be proud of.
    But atleast its something to laugh about now... I think of Kumar when it happens.

I met a bunch of people recently who used to attend a school on the top floors (It was 2 schools under the same roof). They said we had a distinctive smell. Must be because of the multiethnicity.

17. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Can't remember all "scents" but here are those that never fail to make me do some kind of recollection, whether it's 1 second or an hour.

1. The perfume my Mom uses -- she's been using it since I was a child.
    2. The cologne my Dad uses (Polo for Men)
    3. A certain perfume an ex GF was the first time I ...
    4. Drakkar brings back high school memories -- I used this for most of my high school years
    5. A certain incense type that makes me want to meditate.
    6. A certain scented candle that makes me remember my bedroom where I live now (thanks to my wife who lights it up everynight)
    7. Fresh paint always reminds of my younger days when my dad (an architect) would bring me to construction sites
    8. Lysol makes me remember the school clinic where I attended grade school and high school

18. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

Growing up in a small town you learn to pick up the subtlest aroma of weed. Then you thoroughly search all the alleyways to see if it's anyone you know.

19. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

o_O

Thats one of the ones I wear...

*backs up slowly, then turns and runs*

Garbad

20. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Bah, already knew it. I wear Axe Phoenix and it's fairly obvious she likes it when I'm bowled over by her affection 30 seconds after I put it on.