Scent

kobold

Banned
Scent

The other day I passed by a lady while walking to work.

Whatever she was wearing smelled nice.

At least twice over the next 100 yards, I could swear I smelled that scent again.

This got me to thinking: Is this something that could linger in the air that long (fairly cold, breezy day), or is there a better explanation? I thought perhaps a scent could "stick" to the hairs in your nose, but the more I think about it, that seems rather silly.

thoughts?

edit: As soon as I posted this, I thought I needed to add a disclaimer: I have no idea if her name was Susan. :laugh: She was cute though.

Your olfactory glands usually "forget" a scent in about 15 minutes, if the scent was heavy enough it can linger in your nose longer, much like smoke or other scents.

If it was "Susan" you would not have thought anything other than "Run away, run away!"

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
A lot of people who are about to have a heart attack say that just before it happens they smell something that clearly isn't coming from anywhere around them. I never spam, everything I say has resounding gravity.

The molecular wight of a chemical effects it's ability to move around. The heavier the chemical is, the longer it sticks around because it's too heavy to diffuse quickly.

Or so my chemistry teacher told me. I didn't pay that much attention. I was too busy trying to figure out how to wreak havok in the lab

I dont' know, rigging the lab sinks with magnesium plugs, filling the sinks all the way and dumping in acid is a good one. When all 4 sinks started empyting it overwhelmed the drain system and backed up all over the lab floor. About 200 gallons all over the place about 30 minutes after the prank was rigged. We were so cruel to our teacher.

Mod, I bet that has something to do with the moisture in the air and your nasal cavity. Although blood hounds drool to which moistens the air to allow them to smell better, I dunno now.

I dont' know, rigging the lab sinks with magnesium plugs, filling the sinks all the way and dumping in acid is a good one. When all 4 sinks started empyting it overwhelmed the drain system and backed up all over the lab floor. About 200 gallons all over the place about 30 minutes after the prank was rigged. We were so cruel to our teacher.
Lik I said, given the opportunity ask Ski about his little adventures in chem...back in the 11th grade I believe it was....the smell in the school was gawd awful!!!!!!!!!

skihard

Banned
Because HC had to bring it up and I don’t want anyone thing weird crap, what she is talking about is that I blew up the chem lab about 10 minutes before lunch which was almost right across from the cafeteria. My lab partner and I made model rocket fuel to launch our own model rocket, after 3 months of analyzing the chemicals in purchased rocket engines, have numerous tests (not many successful) we had come to the end where we had the correct ratios of chemicals. I was mixing the final batch to make what would be approximately a G sized engine (about the size of a 16 oz beer can), unfortunately it was a very dry day and there was a static ignition of the fuel while I was above it mixing. Well I spent 3 weeks in the hospital, lost 2 inches of my hair line, eyebrow, eye lashes (safety goggle lenses melted), cured my acne problem lost all the skin on the under side of my right arm from pinkie finger to almost my elbow, lost the skin on my left hand (holding the crucible) from index finger tip to tip of thumb, and finally got wheeled out on a stretcher while wearing almost Speedo sized blue undies. Oddly I had many more female friends after that.

The University of Michigan was called in by the FBI who was called in to investigate (they thought we were making a bomb, good thing we had perfect lab notes starting from day one of the experiment) and the U of M people found out that over half of the chemicals in the lab were passed their shelf life date and should have been tossed, two of which I was using and which made the mixture unstable.

Looking back I should have probably sued the school, but I still had two sisters that had to go through there and my mom didn’t want things taken out on them.

Damn. And I was thinking you were only trying to use eloctrolysis to supersaturated salt water and had an uncontrolled exothermic reaction.

I applaud your ingenuity in finding new and exciting ways to hurt yourself. You sir, are truely a god amonst men