Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Scavenger Hunt #4 Tournament/Grail

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Quickdeath, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Quickdeath

Quickdeath Diabloii.Net Member

Scavenger Hunt #4 Tournament/Grail

This Grail-style Tournament combines the best items from my three previous SPF Scavenger Hunt Tournaments in 2006-2007, together with a few new wrinkles. Please read the introduction, I suspect you’ll enjoy it.

INTRODUCTION
    The scroll from Tyreal arrived at the province of Nightfish where a large collection of guardians gathered to hear it read. Afterwards, there was little conversation, except the clanking of armor and the sharpening of swords. Tyrael’s scroll was even brought to a certain ancient skellimancer, a hero known as the eldest of the eldest. This revered Necro read the Tyrael’s scroll in silence and then slowly rose and began to ready his potions and his curses, and to prepare the skeletons in his closets. Even the Great Summoner had been summoned.

In the township of Jiansonz, populated by a vast number of oddly-handicapped heroes and guardians, Tyrael’s news stimulated many looks of concern and then, later, many whispered good-byes. And so, it is told that the heroes of Jiansonz began to issue forth, plodding deliberately and tediously forward, never passing across the same terrain a second time.

Everywhere in Sanctuary, heroes were on the move -for great was the peril to Sanctuary, and great was the need for heroes. The heroes of Thyiad, known for their deep funds of wisdom, took up their weapons and left their homes. A tournament-weary host from Morathi and from Wolron was rumored to be abroad. And more were answering the call of Tyrael - the hallowed magic-finders of Hrus, a skilled squadron of warriors from Purplelocust, a group of hardened questers from the river-town known as Fast Eddy – all answered the call of Tyreal.

And others poured forth from the lands they called home – heroes from Krischan, steeped in lore and arcane knowledge. So too came the ancient heroes of Uzziel and of AlterEgo –their names all but lost to legend, inspiring awe in all whos aw them. A fast-moving troop of heroes from Skoolbus! And more, still more - from Ancalagon, from Scrcrw,from Jdcrew, from Wakiki! Amazons and barbarians, traveling together, marched from the storied lands of Dacar92. Necromancers emerged from the nether-realm of Mad Mantis, and an army of Druids from the great forest of Shaperla.

Deckard Cain turned away from the tower window through which he had viewed this with his far-sight and addressed the great glowing angel that floated in the chamber:

“ Tyrael, my friend, throughout Sanctuary you are universally revered and regarded as our one last hope – our last candle sitting at the edge of darkness. Many have now heard your request and many have responded. Mighty heroes of all types are marching in answer to your call. ”

“Not enough.” Said Tyreal. “We need more.”

“I have been counting.” said Cain, and then softly, “I too had hoped for more”

“Desperate is the need for more heroes to join the search." said Tyreal. "We must find each and everyone of those 65 items of power. Some may be quickly found, but for others, there is no record in all of history that they have ever been discovered. We need heroes of countless number to join this search.”

“This does not bode well for us, my friend. What consequences do we face if even all the heroes of Sanctuary cannot collectively find these 65 items?"

“I shall not speak of that possibility. For in this matter I have discovered something I never knew, and surely never hoped to know. Apparently, my friend, even an Angel can know fear.”

Scavenger Hunt #4:

Respond to the summons of Tyrael. Sixty five items must be found by February 28, 2011 as listed below. You may find these items by questing, by gambling, even by having your characters shop with Charsi and other vendors. The items must be acquired within the game before March 1 . No individual will find all 65, but the winner will be the individual who has found the the largest number. And, collectively, the participants must strive to find all 65!

Rules
    1. The Scavenger Hunt #4 Tournament begins immediately and ends February 28, 2011 at midnight, local time.

2. Anyone can play. You may enter the Tournament at any time simply by posting a message on this thread saying that you are in. Note that no item you have found prior to posting your message is allowed to count towards satisfying the Scavenger Hunt. However, you may use gold that you have acquired previously to gamble or purchase items from vendors, etc.

3. There are 65 Scavenger Hunt items listed below that you are seeking, Most are equipment items to collect. but a couple are monsters to meet. A single item may be satisfy two (or more) of the required items on the list.

4. Any item found by any D2 character in Single Player mode between now and February 28 is eligible to be counted towards the Scavenger Hunt. You may find items while playing already existing characters, new characters, twinked or untwinked characters, in P1 or P8 mode, Softcore or Hardcore characters. Items you find in someone else's tourney may be counted towards the Scavenger Hunt. The only eligibility restrictions are:

- No Multiplayer characters. Nothing found by a character while playing with other players in Multiplayer mode will count. Single Player with P8 is okay, of course.
    - Only Version 1.12, 1.13, or later, please!
    - No Mods other than the Mods accepted by the SPF
    - No obtaining items by trade. All items must be self-found, bought, gambled or created within the game.

5. Any item that is to count in your Scavenger Hunt score must be kept until the tournament has concluded. For the monsters you are asked to find, posting a screenshot is not required. Just give us your word that you found the guy.

6. The Winner of the Tournament will receive glory and acclaim and the thanks of Tyrael, but nothing more.

7. Know thou this: here be your quest, your sacred charge:

Thou shall seek out as many of these 65 items as thou canst. Some shall be easy to find, some shall be difficult beyond knowing. No mortal can be reasonably expected to find them all. The fun shall be in the seeking. And now here are the 65 items you are charged to find:

1- 26. The Unique Alphabet (26 items) You are to collect a complete alphabet of Unique items; i.e. one unique item starting with “A” (e.g., Axe of Fechmar) and so on. An item such as “The Oculus” qualifies for the letter ‘T’ but not for the letter ‘O’. It is possible to find Uniques for all letters except X and Y. For the letter ‘X’ you are to find an Ethereal Superior Socketed version of an Axe -class weapon. For the letter Y, you are to find a Ethereal Superior Socketed version of either a Yew Wand or a Yari.

Stutter Items (27-41)
    Three uniques
    27 Nagelring Ring
    28 Undead Crown Crown
    29 Guardian Naga Naga
    One Set Item
    30 Naj’s Circlet Circlet
    Ten Magic Items. They mav have additional affixes and still qualify.
    31 Jagged Jagged Star.
    32 Russet Russet Armor.
    33 Divine Divine Scepter.
    34 Lancer’s Lance
    35. Harpoonist’s Harpoon.
    36. Warder’s Ward. Or a Ward of Warding
    37. Pestilent item of Pestilence
    38. Berserker’s Berserker Axe
    39. Silver Silver-Edged Axe
    40. Furious Fury Visor
    And
    41. A Ghostly Ghost. (monster, find and kill)

Unusual Items. (42-54)

42. Sash of Ages
    43. A weapon with no variation in physical damage (its minimum damage and maximum damage have the same value because of a modifier with +X to minimum damage)
    44. A perfect Civerb’s Ward (Civerb’s Ward has two variable modifiers which can only be viewed on ATMA or in combination with other Civerb’s Set Items)
    45. A magic equipment item (jewelry or circlet) that has a Magic Find > +35%
    46. A set or unique item found by kicking an urn, a large urn, a jar or large jar, or a basket (or any other item on the floor.)
    47. A scimitar dropped by a Flying Scimitar that is magic, or rare, or a Set or unique item.
    48. A Sander’s Paragon (arguably, the hardest low level Set item to find.)
    49. A white, magic or rare item with 9 or more skill adders, ( i.e., +3 to 3 different skills, or +1 to Sorceress skills, +3 to 2 different skills and +2 to a third skill.) These may not be uniques or set items -they must be Class-specific items or a "wand, scepter or staves" -class weapon.
    50. A socketed item with 20 or more modifiers. (see notes below on this item.)
    51. A Possessed Vile Temptress; this monster, can be found in only one location at one difficulty level. Find and kill it.
    52. Slippers. Some rare footwear are labeled as slippers.
    53. A Rare Namesake of another item, that is a rare item whose name is identical to an unrelated item in the game. Examples include rares whose randomly assigned names are “Death Cleaver” or “Grim Wand” or “Storm Shield.”
    54. An item with +6 or +7 to Light Radius.
    55. A magic or rare item with both of these two modifiers: “+X to Attack Rating,” and “Ignores Target Defense.”

LMAO Items (56-65)

56. A Circlet of Life
    57. Champion Sucker (monster, find and kill)
    58. Fanatical Itchies (monster, find and kill)
    59. Either of the two Lust Brothers: Puke Lust or Snot Lust (unique monsters, find and kill)
    60. Weird Bill (magic item, no suffixes are allowed on this one.)
    61. A Vicious Bastard Sword
    62. A “Lucky” charm (Charm with Lucky prefix, no suffix)
    63. Long Staff of Enchantment (magic item, a prefix is allowed)
    64. Maiden’s Mancatcher (magic item, a suffix is allowed)
    65. The Crown Jewels of Virility. Socket a crown with two Jewels of Virility.

Question and Answers about modifiers for item 49.
    Q: What is a modifier?
    A: A modifier is any line on the display and/or ATMA readout that displays a modification of the item.

Q: Give some examples of modifiers
    A: +10 to Mana, or Half Freeze Duration, or Attacker takes damage of 3, or +2 to Grim Ward (Barbarians only).

Q: What about ethereal, socketed and superior items. Are their properties considered to be modifiers?
    A: Yes. The following would each be counted as a modifier:
    “Ethereal”
    “Socketed (2,0 used)”
    “Socketed (6,6 used)”
    “+50% Damage to Undead”
    “+10 to Durability”

Q: Is “All Resistances = +10%’ considered to be one modifier or four?
    A: It is considered to be one modifier because it will appear as one line in the display and ATMA Readout. However, if an item has “All Resistances = +10%” and also has another modifier that is “+5% to Poison Resistance”, then these two modifiers would count as 4 different modifiers, because the displays would then read as:
    +10% to Fire Resistance
    +10% to Cold Resistance
    +10% to Lightning Resistance
    +15% to Poison Resistance

Q: What about a modifier such as Fool’s, which shows up as 2 lines on the displays?
    A: It counts as two modifiers.

Q: What if an item has a modifier of +10% to poison resistance, and I socket it with an item that provides +30% to Poison Resistance? Is that two modifiers, or one?
    A: It counts as one modifier, because it shows up on the display as “+40% to Poison Resistance”

Q: Okay, but hey, dude, what could possibly have 20+ modifiers? Are you nuts?
    A: Think of jewels in a 6 socket item. Rare jewels.

Q: And the modifiers all have to be different, to total up to 20 modifiers?
    A: Uh-huh. :whistling:
    Q: Hoooo boy. You are insane. I mean, this could take a while.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. Quickdeath

Re: Scavenger Hunt #4 Tournament/Grail

Here's a score sheet to get us going.

Code:
    Forum Name       Alphabet   Stutter   Unusual    LMAO    Total
                    (26 max)    (15 max) (13 max)  (10 max)  (50) 

Quickdeath           0        0         0          0       0

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  3. Fabian

Fabian Diabloii.Net Member

Awesome. So in!

Code:

Fabian               0        0         0          0       0

4. ILikeRocks

ILikeRocks Diabloii.Net Member

Well this is giving time traveling a new meaning! I am questing a lot right now but i shall try to find some of these on my journeys!

I am in!

Code:

ILikeRocks           0        0         0          0       0 

5. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace Diabloii.Net Member

And why is the total in the table only 50?

I'd join, but if I can't memorize this list then it's likely I'd pass up a LOT of stuff not knowing that I should have checked it. Maybe I'll make an unofficial attempt and then add myself if I stick with it.

Otherwise, good luck all!

6. skiffcz

skiffcz Diabloii.Net Member

I am in!

Code:

skiffcz              0        0         0          0       0

Just a technical - I was under the impression, that max damage on items is generated always as mindmg+1, thus item 43 is impossible to get? The numbers will never be the same ...

7. mattinm

mattinm Diabloii.Net Member

I think that's only when min > max, but I could be wrong.

I'm mulling over my participation in this tournament currently; I'll likely collect the items "casually" and enter officially when/if I collect a decent amount.

8. potter

potter Diabloii.Net Member

Code:

potter               0        0         0          0       0

OH IT IS ON!

9. skiffcz

skiffcz Diabloii.Net Member

I just tried the min/max issue by adding SOL to Kris, and it indeed changed 2-11 damage to 11-12, so it is impossible to get item 43. On the other hand, there is 65 items. Number 53 is twice there :)

10. purplelocust

purplelocust Diabloii.Net Member

@skiffcz: it can happen (min=max listed damage). Spoiler about how to do it below if you don't want to ponder/experiment more:

It can happen for throwing weapons. For melee weapons, if min >= max, then max becomes +1 but for throwing weapons there isn't that check.

The tourney sounds great, as always! Thanks for organizing this. I'm in! I never did find all the Bills from before, and for a long time afterwards I was identifying Bills in hopes of finding more of Bill's friends from that tourney!

Question: does self-MPing count? Sometimes I do a fair amount of that, especially hardcore, and it would be good to know if I should be looking at those drops.

Slight confusion:

Sander's is an expansion set. Arguably the most useless one. Did you mean something else? I would rate Tancred's Boots those as the hardest Classic set item to drop in the game (higher ilvl needed, but low TC) although gambling isn't a bad method of finding them.

Also, for "Massive Long Rod" did you mean Massive Long Staff?

11. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Ain't that Ctrl+C treacherous? ;)

12. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

Count me in, too!

Code:

jdkerr               0        0         0          0       0

@Mattinm: My reading of the rules suggests that only items collected after entry count.

13. Quickdeath

Thanks all for comments, and sorry about the various typos - I have fixed most of them in the first post. LOL, I had the end date as 2007 in one place and 2010 in another, but its in 2011. "Massive long rod" has been changed to "massive long staff" - nothing like stepping on your own pun.

And I think anther post has already pointed out that some weapon items can indeed have an identical value of Max and Min damage. It's unusual -which is why it makes a nice Scavenger Hunt item.

And "casual play" is just fine and exactly how I myself play these Scavenger Hunts: to spice up the time I would normally spend anyway playing Diablo2. Everyone is welcome to enjoy the tournament in your own way.

14. purplelocust

Code:

purplelocust         1        0         0          0       1 

Thanks for the clarifications, I'm in! And I just found Bladebone with my crafted tourney char, so that makes 1 Alphabet task completed for me!

15. Quickdeath

Fixing the ding-dong table

Fixing the typos in the column headings:

Code:
                    (26 max)    (15 max) (14 max)  (10 max)  (65) 

jdkerr               1        0         0          0       1

16. purplelocust

Re: Fixing the ding-dong table

Oops, that got a little garbled, how about this:

Code:

17. baqarah

baqarah Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Fixing the ding-dong table

My first ever tourney! My newly made Pit running 400mf Poisonmancer will be pretty good char for this :).

Code:

baqarah              2        0         0          0       2

Crushflange and Maelstorm found = 2 letters.

18. Ohomemgrande

Ohomemgrande Diabloii.Net Member

Oh yeah. Another chance to look for that divine divine scepter.

Code:

baqarah              2        0         0          0       2
    Ohomemgrande         0        0         0          0       0

19. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Diabloii.Net Member

Count me in!

At least this is a Tourney where I stand as much chance as anyone, unlike the Exposure Tourney, where I sucked...

Got a few a-z already as I have just started running NM Meph with my new Sorc. Will update later.

edit
    Does this count as Number 43?
    Arcadian Balanced Knife of Excellence
    Balanced Knife
    Throw Damage: 13 - 11
    One Hand Damage: 8 - 8
    Quantity: 160
    Required Level: 18
    Required Dexterity: 51
    Fingerprint: 0xefa634e7
    Item Level: 69
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +7 to Minimum Damage
    +36% Damage to Demons
    +90 to Attack Rating against Demon

20. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Glossing over the Closed for Thread Necromancy joke I was going to do but QD ruined by his ninja edit of the first post, I shall engage pedantic confused mode:

Why does the tourney mention finding 65 items (and list them) where it mentions finding 64 items twice in the rules. (part 7)

*confused*

Nice intro btw. :)