Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Scary insight into the head of Activision Blizzard

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Starving_Poet, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Scary insight into the head of Activision Blizzard

My first thought on reading this was "No way this could be true." None of this is ever stuff that I really remember hearing about during the shareholder conference calls - but then I remembered this is why CEO's and Investment Relations never really buddy up.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6226758.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

This shareholders take: 'He sounds like a dick'

2. Putz

Putz IncGamers Member

Re: Scary insight into the head of Activision Blizzard

This has nothing to do with Diablo 3 however.

3. Starving_Poet

Right, I forgot that Activision Blizzard is not related to Diablo 3.

4. Darkflight

Darkflight IncGamers Member

News about Blizzard doesn't neccesarily mean news about Diablo 3.

5. Starving_Poet

News about how a corporation runs itself and treats its employees is always news about how it's products are developed.

Just imagine working in that atmosphere - imagine being a manager trying to keep your best talent.

6. sunkenfaith

sunkenfaith IncGamers Member

wow. this is epic.

7. Putz

Putz IncGamers Member

Part of the agreement with the two companies was that they would still run their games as they have in the past.

Acitivision has been known in the past to try and shake up the industry. This will not affect how Blizzard operates.

8. Starving_Poet

All I'm saying is that I've worked in a programming 'house' whose CEO acted very similar to this. Even though we were our own little development group - corporate culture is corporate culture - it works it's way down from the top and touches everyone on the way down.

It was not pleasant and it was THE reason I, and many others, decided to leave our company and start our own businesses.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

9. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

That's Activision.

The agreement to the best of my knowledge, is that Activision realizes that it sucks and has no idea what it is doing and stays the hell out of Blizzard's business.

Beyond that, having worked in the game industry myself for years, that guy is exactly the kind of person you DO NOT want to work for. That's why Activision has never seen an application from me and never will.

You kill yourself as a game programmer. You work Doctor's hours 1/4 of the year. You get paid less than someone working in an IT department and it can be very stressful without that guy's help. Just about EVERY design house goes out of their way to make the place as open and free from crap as possible.

That guy needs his head examined saying things like that. Also, his Guitar Hero idea is stupid. I guess that's why he let Harmonix walk out of the fold like an idiot. If I sound nasty, it's because he's everything I hate about executives.

10. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Sounds like fearmongering based entirely on groundless speculation and lack of any effort on fact checking? Most of the big names who left Blizzard left before Vivendi's merger with Activision. Blizzard's business strategy hasn't changed a single bit towards resembling, for example, Call of Duty or Guitar Hero franchises. Blizzard expressly stated that Activision will have no say in how they will work (and it will become very, very evident if this becomes broken).

B.K. is a complete and utter douchebag with a matching face to boot, but I have seen zero indication that he did anything to touch Blizzard so far. However, I will now go and prematurely apply desk to my head because I just know someone will start sticking fingers into the "SC2 cash cowing by splitting the campaign into 3 parts" while ignoring basically all the information released on the the freakin' game.

11. Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf IncGamers Member

Exactly .. he might not have done anything yet that affects Blizz but we are afraid of what he might try to do not what he did, we (you, me and everybody here) certainly have no idea how much influence does he have and how much is he enthusiastic about applying his extremely bizarre and twisted vision of a work environment (which is the complete opposite of what gaming studio environment should be like) ... we also don't know how much options Vivendai and Blizzard have in case the were pressured by someone from Activsion to make outrageous decisions in the future. (and i'm not talking about the SC2 case believe me)

Our worries aren't without basis .. with people like that leading the Activsion Vivendi-Blizzard company we do have a lot to worry about even if they try to say other wise.

On a side note i have no idea what was common between Activison and Vivendi-Blizzard to warrant their fusion .. wouldn't it have been better if Vivendi picked a better company other than Activison to merge with ... a company that had experience in making RPGs and RTS games (kinda like how Squaresoft and Enix merged .. both which were RPG focused companies)

12. Starving_Poet

Yeah, you're right - I didn't research it - this is all baseless because this sort of unworkable corporate atmosphere didn't happen in Blizzard before and cause them to scrap all the progress they had already made on Diablo 3:
    [BLUE="Bill Roper on Flagship"]Actually, we didn't plan on leaving Blizzard, but that's the way things ended up working out. Basically, we were looking for a higher level of involvement concerning the sale of the Vivendi Universal Games unit and felt we had to go as far as tendering our resignations to try and open a direct line of communication with the decision makers in France.[/BLUE]

13. Moradon

Moradon IncGamers Member

So far it's pretty clear that Activision hasn't done much to influence Blizzard's decision-making. That being said, I can understand the fears present since it's pretty much inevitable that Activision will eventually try to push their nose into Blizzard's business. It's basic human nature for a person to test their boundaries, and Bobby definitely seems like the kind of person that would do such a thing.

I mean seriously, we have a CEO who openly and proudly declares that he wants game developers to have a more stressful and less fun job. That statement alone sets off at least a dozen red flags. I just hope that someone slaps his wrist when he inevitably reaches his hand into the Blizzard cookie jar.

14. Putz

Putz IncGamers Member

Activision has some of the best sellings titles of all time, lol.

Being partnered with Blizzard only adds to that. However, Blizzard and Activision still operate separate, just in it for the money.

15. Elric-Logain

Elric-Logain IncGamers Member

Activision and Blizzard have a Disney and Pixar sort of relationship.

16. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus IncGamers Member

I could see that guitar hero thing working if consoles continue to be expensive and if there's absolutely no games I would play on said consoles.

17. Knight_Wolf

And we all know the stories about corporations crushing talents and abusing them to ridiculous limits, Disney himself had a share of stories on how he abused talented artists in his studios in the past.

Microsoft also is one of those corporations .. although they buy studios rather than just merge, they bought Rare (a company that made good games for Nintendo systems) and Bungie Studios (famous for Halo,Oni and Myth) and look where they both ended up .. Rare pretty much never made a good game after that and Bungie became a Halo making machine ... i'm afraid a day might come when we see Blizzard making Guitar hero/rhythm games ... but maybe i'm being too pessimistic XD

18. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Those comments, and the culture he promotes, is no surprise to anyone who has worked in a corporate culture before. The problem with corporate thinking is that it focuses on maximizing shareholder profits by totally emphasizing the bottom line, which sounds like good business but often leads to failure. I have personally seen two companies crumble under the corporate jackboot, and unless there is no choice, I will never work for another. When your division or group does well, you get "well, yeah, but look what division X did!", and when your division does poorly, you get "you guys need to suck it up or we'll start cutting", which is my favorite part, because then the folks who survive the bloodletting now do twice the work for the same pay.

I can hope that his way of thinking doesn't pervade into Blizzard and then the D3 team, but I can hope for a lot of things.

19. Starving_Poet

'Focus on the bottom line' doesn't also mean 'abuse your workforce'

Corporate culture isn't bad - corporate thinking isn't bad - but bad management can definitely make it so.

20. Knight_Wolf

For typical business or work that doesn't involve any creative process maybe, but i can't imagine a creative work (like creating games, movies, animation, .. etc) being done under such conditions ... there is no denying the people working in such creative fields are affected negatively by such pressure .. how can any one be creative in a work environment that's filled with fear, deep depression or whatever other nonsense he was talking about.

As for abusing workforce, i have been hearing about several suicide cases among employees lately (working in big corporations), so apparently someone out there is putting this guy's words into action quite effectively.