scanning for trojans, keyloggers

lonnie913

Diabloii.Net Member
scanning for trojans, keyloggers

what sort of programs are best to check downloaded files for trojans and keyloggers? heres the deal:

i lost two very useful programs and i would like them back: the runeword wizard, and the diablo ii encyclopedia. the runeword wizard *used* to be hosted here, and the encyclopedia *used* to be hosted at lurker lounge and planetdiablo. however all these links are now broken :confused: . so after some googling, i found a website that hosted their own copies of those programs. HOWEVER, i am not familiar with these websites and they could be sketchy, so i dont want to use them until i know they are clean. right now they are sitting on my hard drive in .rar form until i decide to let them out :lol:

what is the best way to make sure these files are clean? i dont want to get a keylogger or some such on my computer... would an antivirus program combined w/ adaware be enough? im not too knowledgeable about how exactly these things work.

OR as an alternate solution, do any of you guys have these programs on your computer? theyre pretty old (well the runeword wizard was updated relatively recently, but the encyclopedia is from 2001).

hopefully this thread is not in violation of any of the rules. after all one of the programs used to be hosted here...the links just broken.
 

oscarmk1

Diabloii.Net Member
lonnie913 said:
what sort of programs are best to check downloaded files for trojans and keyloggers? heres the deal:

i lost two very useful programs and i would like them back: the runeword wizard, and the diablo ii encyclopedia. the runeword wizard *used* to be hosted here, and the encyclopedia *used* to be hosted at lurker lounge and planetdiablo. however all these links are now broken :confused: . so after some googling, i found a website that hosted their own copies of those programs. HOWEVER, i am not familiar with these websites and they could be sketchy, so i dont want to use them until i know they are clean. right now they are sitting on my hard drive in .rar form until i decide to let them out :lol:

what is the best way to make sure these files are clean? i dont want to get a keylogger or some such on my computer... would an antivirus program combined w/ adaware be enough? im not too knowledgeable about how exactly these things work.

OR as an alternate solution, do any of you guys have these programs on your computer? theyre pretty old (well the runeword wizard was updated relatively recently, but the encyclopedia is from 2001).

hopefully this thread is not in violation of any of the rules. after all one of the programs used to be hosted here...the links just broken.
Well i would suggest spyware doctor for the malware and hacker tools and get a firewall too like zonalarm, so in the event that when you scan you dont find it, then you can look in the firewall and check all the active stuff and then figure out what is it, and if its not something you had then delete it.
 

carrothers

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's my reccommendatons:

I'd download programs named SpyBot: Search and Destroy, and another program called Ewido. Both can be obtained for free and found easily on www.download.com and google.

SpyBot will scan your computer for any kind of Spyware or things like that, and Ewido will do a thourough scan of your drives for any sort of malware.

If you have Windows XP with Service Pack 2, you can turn on your firewall and monitor which programs want access to the internet (that way, if a program you're unfamiliar with wants to access the internet, you can not allow it that access, as it's probably a keylogger or trojan).

Always be careful when downloading programs off of the internet, hacks or not hacks. There's some pretty nasty programs out there that can really munch malware detectors before they even have a chance to find the malware. :lol:
 

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
try Microsoft anti spyware and ad-aware as well. Also make sure your regular virus protection program is up to date as well.
 

stkrause

Diabloii.Net Member
First rule when dealing with poisonous snakes: Don't get bitten.

Trying not to get hit by malware makes much more sense than downloading more protection software. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad in protecting your system, but it is even better not to download any malware in the first place...

Virus&malware scanners can't give you 100% protection, it is quite easy to modify malware so that it is not detected by current virus scanners (at least until the next signature update if the modified version has spread enough).

Personal firewalls can't give you 100% protection, especially those with "program xxx wants to connect to the internet"-popup windows. Malware can answer the question with "yes" before you even have a chance to see the popup. And even if there is no popup window, you can tunnel data traffic through other applications like a browser without the firewall noticing it.

Long story short: Don't download something until you can reasonably trust the file not to come with malware included. I would ask for a trustable link (I'm sorry not to be able to answer that question, though) or search a couple of other D2 fanpages if you can't find anyone on this forum who can help you.

*stkrause
 

lonnie913

Diabloii.Net Member
well i am running norton antivirus, zonealarm's firewall, and have adaware. these have so far turned up no fishy business but i understand that nothing is 100%.

i did quite a bit of searching and well, the files are not easy to find. all the trustyworthy sites i know have broken links to them. if these files were not so useful i wouldnt bother, but i find them to be helpful and easier to navigate than arreat summit.

anyone remember these programs? do you still have them? or know someone who does?
 

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
I found a runeword wizard link at the Lurker Lounge website (which is a third party site that blizzard recommends.) Since it is a competing forum, I can't post the link. Just google Diablo 2 runeword wizard and look for the Lurker Lounge link.
 

lonnie913

Diabloii.Net Member
mhl12 said:
I found a runeword wizard link at the Lurker Lounge website (which is a third party site that blizzard recommends.) Since it is a competing forum, I can't post the link. Just google Diablo 2 runeword wizard and look for the Lurker Lounge link.
that is in fact the runeword wizard i am talking about, but that link at the lurker lounge is broken (or at least doesnt work for me).

oh and the other program is the diablo ii encyclopedia written by raymond kleefstra.
 

Joch

Diabloii.Net Member
since your posting this IN the community forum of it...
ya aint talkin bout trying to download some kinda dupe program now are ya?
if you are ya should get keylogged & whatever :D
 

lonnie913

Diabloii.Net Member
Joch said:
since your posting this IN the community forum of it...
ya aint talkin bout trying to download some kinda dupe program now are ya?
if you are ya should get keylogged & whatever :D
*sigh*...so you only vaguely skimmed over my posts huh? well if you read carefully you will see the truth... :D
 

oscarmk1

Diabloii.Net Member
lonnie913 said:
*sigh*...so you only vaguely skimmed over my posts huh? well if you read carefully you will see the truth... :D
Zonealarm is an award winning firewall, as well as Spyware Doctor ppl love them. I dont know if im allowed to post a link but theres a forum full of ppl that are very into computers and there are discussions about the programs, as well as serials/keys so you can download the programs and have em full etc.
 
Top