Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Scams?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Bert, May 11, 2005.

1. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

Scams?

Yesterday when I was playing I entered a trade game so I could do a harmless LK run.

Soon after I entered the game a player started whining: “give back my armor, it’s the only thing I haveâ€.

The others didn’t respond or made fun of him.

He told me that a guy stole his armor trough the trade window.

If what he claimed was true, then how can I trade on Bnet safely?

Are there any reports of such scams? And about the viruses I keep hearing? and what is the “free item scam�

I thought that, as long as playing legit, nothing could happen and your account was completely safe.

Bert

2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, I'm gonna sort the answers by number :rolleyes:

1) What is a LK run?
    2) There are several ways to 'steal' someones armor via the trade window (I won't discuss any here, suffice to say it is always dangerous to trade on Bnet, use these forums, you'll be suprised on how easy and scamfree they are)
    3) I haven't heard about virusses before, but the only way a Virus, Trojan horse or Hacker can get into your computer is that you let him in. By either clicking a link to a site you don't know, or by downloading something.
    4) The free item scam isn't really a scam, people just make games to get as many players as possible so their drops increase (not the value, only the amount).
    5) If you're a legit player, relax and don't talk/trade to Bnet people, then you'll be alright :thumbsup:

3. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

As far as I know, there is no way for someone to take an item from you without you doing something to allow it; ie typing your account and password, dropping the item on the ground, clicking on a web link that makes you drop the item. The person was either mistaken about how he was scammed, or was looking for free handouts. I have heard of programs that can make it appear an item is in a trade window when it isnt, these "ghost items" always appear in the upper right corner of the trade window. You can always ask the trader to move the item around the trade screen too.

The free item scam you mentioned is most likely a variant of the clan scam- someone will offer you a free eth titans or whatever if you goto a website and click on a link to "vote" for them; by clicking on this link, a program will open that causes your character to drop everything on the ground he is wearing or has in inventory. Here is a link of known scams for future reference-

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=309636

4. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

I've heard there are trade window hacks where someone will ask you to show an item. They'll ask you a question while in the trade window. And if you hit return to respond, you'll trade your item automatically. Not sure if this is true, but i never reply to questions in the trade window to be safe. I hit escape first and reply in the normal game. Also, I've seen a couple people report a drop hack lately. They'll be in the middle of a game and all of a sudden they'll drop their best item and someone snatches it with pickit. Not sure if either are true.

5. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

You're close, one way of scamming a person via the trade window is a hack.
    That hack allows you to keep the tradewindow open when you exit it. That way, when you reinvite the person to open the trade window again, he isn't really clicking ok to open the window but clicking the V to green. Thus automatically transferring the items he put in the trade window to the other player. This hack is one of the reasons why I never trade on Bnet.

6. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

theres a very rare drop hack where i believe someone can make you drop an item .. its extremely rare though, but extremely painful when it happens. i believe someone posted here saying he lost some travs taht way, and i lost my eth titans that way. =o

im pretty sure theres not much you can do about this one. =f

7. Angelclaw

Angelclaw IncGamers Member

A Lower Kurast run. Go open all chests in Lower Kurast Hell and you'll get 3-10 flawless gems per run. ;)

8. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

Thx guys for replying, i'll be even more careful now :)

Indeed LK is a Lower Kurast run, for best results best done in an 8 player game like trade games or Baalruns.

Bert