Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Save/Load

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by SilkenKidden, Mar 27, 2004.

1. SilkenKidden

SilkenKidden IncGamers Member

Save/Load

Am I missing something? There's no save and no restore options. Can I configure the game to give me those in single player mode, not on-line?

I've been tapping the Windows key on my keyboard and running a .bat I made to save the saves or restore them. But what a bother. Is there a better way?

2. Stack

Stack IncGamers Member

The game automatically saves as you go along, no need for a save button.

3. SilkenKidden

No need to save? I don't like dieing. I've lost all my hard earned money too often. :cheesy:

4. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

You can put money in your stash (the chest you might have noticed in the middle of town), in which case you don't lose it when you die. Admittedly, the amount you can store isn't massive--if I remember right, it's 100,000 gold at low levels, increasing slowly until level 31, at which point it jumps to 800,000.

5. Stack

Stack IncGamers Member

Whenever you die, you always lose the gold you are carrying. You can stash your gold and other items that you are not wearing in your stash in town and then later use ATMA to save them to your HD in a stash file. (using ATMA to transfer them back to characters when needed) Any gold you are carrying when you die drops to the ground. Don't worry though, if you can't get back to your corpse to collect your belongings and gold that dropped, just save and exit and your body will be in town next to you. ​

What character are you playing? There are many good guides in the faq sticky (I suggest the Fishymancer for your first character) You shouldn't die to often with a build like that...hope this helps a lil bit, others around here seem to have more knowledge than me :lol: and can help you further. Now it's late or should I say early and I'm sleepy. ​

GoodNight! :sleep:

6. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I guess I have to be the "bad guy" here. What you wanted to do, is considered "cheating" by hardliner (it's like your game been edited without using a editor). I personaly understand it, but will not feel ok with it myself. You can always Press ESC, if you are in danger, save&exit from there. this will give you same result, but totally legit play style.

What you do on your own computer is totally upto yourself, but here we try to keep a rather clean environment. If you will never trade or play MP game here, just do what ever you feel like, however if you do, consider play fair. You can always consult with AE, he is puriest, so if he says ok, you will have no problem what so ever (doing trading/MP games).

Have fun. :drink:

7. Stack

Stack IncGamers Member

I think he was just saying, he hates dieing as do we all, and hates losing gold. Not that he was thinking of modding in any way.

8. Aranan

Aranan IncGamers Member

You have to realize Diablo 2 isn't like your standard RPG. You don't quicksave or load games if something goes wrong, because that simply isn't an option. Death in Diablo 2 isn't killer, either. In standard RPGs, it's usually game over. For this hack-n-slash game, death just makes you respawn in town. You lose a bit of gold (which isn't hard to get anyway) and have to get your items from your corpse back. You can either run for your body and recover it in the same game or just Save and Exit. When you start a new game, your corpse will appear in town waiting for you to loot it.

In Nightmare and Hell difficulties, you lose a bit of experience when you die. You can get a portion of this back by recovering your body without doing the S&E bit.

That said, don't worry about dying. Everyone does.

9. SilkenKidden

Hey, lighten up. This is a game. I'm playing it for fun. And losing all my money or having to exit the game and come back in detracts from the fun.

What hardliners, anyway? I've been playing single player RPG's for years and I've never before played a game that didn't have save/restore. It's a standard feature.

Perhaps Diablo doesn't have save/restore because the game was built to be multi player on the net. I guess single player was an afterthought. But it seems the world has come along in my direction. Sacred, which is new, and touted to be "Diablo style" has a save game feature for off line. It even has quick save. Are the hardliners not going to play it because of that?

10. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

silken this game is a action rpg its not like buldars gate or NWN here the game saves about every 2 min or so.

so if your progress is autosaved but you cant choose when the game should save.

as far as the stash goes its that big and its even bigger now then it was before.

you have to learn to live with the very little stash space.

ohhh and be sure to get the horadric cube it works simular to a bag of holding aka it gives you more stash space.

not as much as a bag of holding though.

so when you get gear you want to save in LOD save and exist, open atma and transfer the items into the stashes you have made.

ohh and deathmaster though you wanted info about a mod that changes to game so that you get more stash space...

thats considered cheating and these forums are against that so thats why you got such a answer.

11. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Yes, as you have ben told, D2 doesn't have those save/load options. They are not even necessary. And those would take the fun outta this game, just think about HC characters. If you kill him/her, just load the saved game and try again.

In SC those aren't needed and in HC it would ruin the whole idea of playing :)

12. pesot

pesot IncGamers Member

like lprman said; that's the whole point why there's no save/load only save/exit. blizzard don't want people to cheat in hardcore. even in sc people could still cheat. when u died in nm or hell you'll loose experience, you can't just load to get those back. you have to suffer a bit for your recklesness. :thumbsup:

13. StellarDust

StellarDust IncGamers Member

Going a little bit off topic here but, I think that it's actually an interesting feature, or lack of feature, depending on how you look at it, since it's almost like real life. You have to take some responsibility for your actions and you can't simply load whenever you mess up. Of course, this IS a game and I realize that, but if you ask me it gets the goods from both the world of real life and the world of games. Give it a chance; I think you'll grow to like it.

14. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

I agree. Diablo 1 had the save state option, and I find the challenge of the lack thereof a very neat feature to have included. There was much outcry at the announcement of the feature, but it seems to have worked for the best. You're obviously entitled to your opinion, and, if this feature makes you dislike D2, that's totally your call. I hope you enjoy it, though.