Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Save & exit time

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by T72on1, Apr 13, 2016.

1. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

One thing that bugged me while doing the TC3 hunting tournament, is that I spent quite some time looking at the S/E screen after I ... well, saved and exited. I haven't ever measured it (I should have, and will do that next time), but I'd guess that it was somewhere in the 3 - 4 second range. So not terribly long, but a lot when my you know that my average run time for Rakanishu was 12.5 seconds according to run counter, so S/E and creating a new game included.

I have a fast machine, with my games installed on a SSD, and ever since I have this one my loading times have greatly improved. Loading isn't an issue either, as that goes within the blink of an eye.

I also was surprised to find out that the long S/E time isn't happening on every character. It's already shorter on my to-be-99 Sorc, and when I was doing some test runs with a naked lvl 86 Dancer Assassin in normal, S/E would be instant, just as fast as loading a new game.

Anyone have a clue what might cause this? How long does it take you to S/E?

2. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

My loading times have been varying over the years.

Few things that may shorten times: deleting the .map file from save folder. Moving away the screenshots. And what has been the most useful for me: using "-ns" in diablo 2's target line commands. (And maybe windowed too, haven't played without -w for a long long time.)

3. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Good you mention the -ns command ... I tried that too, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

What really surprised me was that the S/E time was different for different characters. Something like screenshots in the same folder should have the same effect on all characters.

I've never played in windowed mode actually. What's the benefit?

4. NanoMist

NanoMist IncGamers Member

This also happened to me in my Andariel runs. I also have an SSD with nothing else on my computer hogging resources. In fact, CPU usage goes down to near 0% during my 7 second wait time. S/E is instant on my assassin running LK.

My first suspicion was that it was related to game up-time, but I would be able to S/E immediately at different up times in town. I did some testing and the S/E time increased the more I traveled through maps prior to exiting.

S/E in town - instant
    S/E in Cat 2 - 1 second or less
    S/E in Cat 3 - 4-5 seconds (my Cat 3 map is large)
    S/E in Cat 4 entrance - 6-7 seconds
    S/E in Cat 4 Andariel's death - 7-8 seconds
    S/E in Cat 4 with 30 seconds of doing nothing after Andariel's death - instant

For me it seems to be map related. The only thing I haven't tried from Grape's suggestions was deleting the .map file from the save folder, so this could be it? or even the .ma0, .ma1, etc files? I hope this only resets the revealed areas of the mini-map and not the actual map itself.

5. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I'd think deleting the .ma0, .ma1, ... files, would reset the map itself.

Interesting theory and testing. However, I would have rather long (although not 7 seconds, I'd think) S/E times running only Rakanishu (so only 1 map revealed, not much time spent), while I could immediately S/E with my naked Dancer, who would take the Cold Plains waypoint, check for the cave entrance and then uncover part of the Cave map to see if Coldcrow could spawn near the entrance. So she spent far more time, and there was one more map involved.

Really strange ...

6. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

I don't remember anymore why I started to play windowed. Might have actually been partially about loading times. And then, it's faster and easier for me to multitask while windowed. Getting out from D2 by just clicking with mouse out of the game window is nice for me. (I think some use glide wrapper to prevent that happening actually?)

It takes a little time to get used to playing windowed, but after that I haven't even thought about going back to full window.

7. NanoMist

I do play in window mode. But our issue is not the load time, but the save & exiting time. It's only a few seconds, but significant when runs are very short. I don't recall this issue when I did Pindle runs either.

I believe glide wrapper has a mouse capture option for windowed mode, so users have that choice.

8. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Yes. I would consider windowed mode unplayable without the mouse capture, tbh. Unless you don't want to maximize your teleport distance? ;p

Windowed mode is good for when you want to play D2 or read a chat window on the side (shoutouts to hamachi spam)

Also, deleting the map files doesn't actually change your map. It simply deletes how much of the map you have explored.

sometimes S&E depends on what's going on around you. For example, I would get notoriously poor saving times when the superchest near eldritch (act 5) had a lot of burning archers shooting at me.

9. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Ah, yeah I meant the s&e times also by "load times". Should've been clearer with that :)

I have had similar experiences with those as you. Varying over map/char and/or at least when waiting for a while doing nothing (leading to a shorter save & exit).

Last time I had problems with annoyingly long save & exit, -ns helped. I hoped it would've helped T72on1 too, but maybe there's something else to it this time. Weird.

10. NanoMist

I did try -ns and it shaved off a second. Maybe. :confused:

Yep, I have windowed mode in order to watch shows on the side.
    I do go back to full screen if I'm 100% focused on D2.

And thanks to everyone that have helped so far.

11. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I've definitely noticed something similar running RoF. If I S&E midcast (even teleport) the game will usually get hung up.

12. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

In Civ III you can set the .ini file to skip the intro. It would be nice if that type of thing could be done for D2.

13. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Saving times definitely depend on how long do you play that session. That is especially noticeable while running Pindle. If you kill him inside X seconds, saving time might be long. If you kill him slower than X seconds, saving times might be much faster. Where is that line is hard to estimate, but I know when you kill him in like 15 seconds, you won't get out without waiting 3-4 seconds of saving time. If you kill him in like 21 seconds, you are out very fast. That kind of behavior is only reason why people don't kill Pindle in like 13 seconds, cuz their save time is messed up.

Plenty of areas are very similar. Some things are also constant, at least I think. Whoever I asked, when you go into act 3 town, then take waypoint to act 4 and save, it will be long save. It is annoying when I missclick waypoint target with Travincal sorc and instead of going back to act 4 to save, I click act 3 town and then I know when I go to act 4, saving time will be long. If I don't missclick and from Travincal go to town 4 directly, save is fast. It might depend on what is loaded in that session of playing etc.

pharphis likes this.
  14. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

For a rakanishu run, try taking the WP back to town before S/E. Save time seems to be "recording" for a little while if there is a lot going on, might be bnet related server/client issue left over from olden days.

15. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

-skiptobnet

You will add an 'ESC' keystroke to your startup sequence, but overall less than Blizzard and Blizzard North screens.

Can be a pain when playing not the current patch, as it will check for current version every time, but try it out, see if you like it.

Also, playing with -w eliminates all cinematics, both opening and when switching acts.

As to the OP:
    Moving screenshots and GoMule backups out of the DII directory, and playing with -w-ns, I have instant S&E under probably 98% operating conditions. Occasional hiccups to be expected with such dated software being run on a more up-to-date operating system.

Also, if you are playing from a disc install and not digital (and I think they may have patched this anyway, but I play all patches so I do this by habit) try manually Copy/Paste-ing the .MPQ files found on the Expansion Disc into the main DII directory. A lot of the S&E time can be related to scanning for the next sound to play. Even though -ns should force the game not to even load the sound drivers at all, the program may still search for the song to play, then just not play it.

I don't remember which ones are copied over on installation. You can either scan your install directory for the ones on the disc, and grab the ones that are missing (mainly D2XMUSIC and D2XTALK if memory serves) or just grab them all. Just be sure NOT to overwrite any of them, or be forced to re-patch.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  16. Silver Moon

Silver Moon IncGamers Member

The only thing I have noticed is that when I save and exit after killing rakinishu in the stoney field it is instant or less than a second. If I choose to go into the tristram portal to kill griswold and try to save and exit it takes 3 or 4 seconds. Maybe someone has already explained why that is in this thread, but I am honestly too novice to understand most of what is posted.

17. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the feedback and replies. I'll do some more testing next time.

18. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I did a few more test runs with my Paladin, through various parts of act 1, different bosses or areas, short, long, ... Didn't seem to make a difference. Then I did the same with my to-be-99er and my other tounament character. Whatever I did, the result remained the same. Luckily on both characters, S/E time was almost non-existent.