Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Save&Exit discussion

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by coldsong, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Save and Exit restricted to be out of combat only.

Poll closed Jun 27, 2009.
  1. Aye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. coldsong

coldsong IncGamers Member

Save&Exit discussion

Personally I think Save/Exit system is idiotic. During duels people just exit at low life. In tight spot all you need to do is click esc+enter to save yourself. But worse of all..... is the chicken hack, which is basically a macro and thus unpreventable by blizzard NO MATTER WHAT.

As such I would love to have the save/exit system undone, like in WoW (you cannot log out while in combat, logging out takes 20 seconds). Same thing should go for creating town portals.

This would make hardcore sooo much tougher and get rid of all the little scrub kiddies who put on chicken hack.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Re: Save&Exit discussion

Hmmmm, this is a tough one, because I can see both sides. Maybe make the 20 sec wait PVP only?

3. coldsong

knowing blizzard they would never make such distinction. if they set a rule, there are no soft exceptions.

4. Narc

Narc IncGamers Member

If Health globes play a major role in how you heal yourself then the Save & Exit might be crucial, or else we might end up with a Hardcore mode with ultra-safe gaming, instead of a possibly ruthless adrenaline fueled nightmare.

And besides, noone wants to watch their character about to die for 10 seconds as the timer counts down before they exit. :)

5. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I agree with the sentiment, not the implementation.
    First of all "in and out of combat" is silly.
    I'm in a dungeon fighting monsters, I'm in combat even if there isn't one pestering me ><
    Secondly it creates extra issues, mobs evading and keeping you in combat for no good reason forcing you to run away randomly to accomplish things. Basically it just generally slows the game down.

Same with waiting 20 seconds to log out? WTF do I want to do nothing for 20 seconds for? It's lame and boring. It's like an entire meph run. D1&2 are action games and slowing things down that much to log out is silly.

Here's what I'd like to see:
    1) Only allow log out in town. Someone alt+f4s outside of town, they time out as slowly as if their PC had crashed.
    2) Take away portals so that you can't accidentally run out at the bottom of a very long dungeon, replace with an inherent skill.
    3) Said skill should take ~7 seconds to cast. It should be castable with things beating on you (so long as they don't put you into recovery or whatever... cast times and push back are for slow paced games, this would be the only exception). Seven seconds is long enough in both previous diablo games that you either would have died or been in no danger, no need to artificially inflate the time to 20 seconds just because that's what it's like in WoW.

That's my opinion anyways.

Also - I'd have voted "aye" in the poll, except I'm getting the error that said poll is closed.
    Also #2 - You stole my thread. But I guess that's ok.

6. coldsong

I agree on this variation :]

7. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

Yeah I was going to post this thread too. And I think mouse' implementation was pretty good.

Obviously from my other post my answer to this would be aye as well.

In addition, having the "instant save & exit" opens the game up to scripters and chickenhack.

My solution was this, though.

5 second cast Town Portal that is not modified by FCR first. This will take away the in game mechanic of portaling whenever you see something dangerous. (I agree it should be made a skill too, like a tome skill from D1)

Second, I dont like the idea that you can only logout in town. I do like the WoW implementation also.

So, that being said, if you logout in a dungeon, have it take 10 seconds (with a "logout now" button that will exit the game client side, but leave your character in game for 10 more seconds.) If you log out in town, make the logout instant.

That way if people need to log out in the dungeon for an emergency they can log out instantly, it's just at a risk of their character.

This would solve a lot of my gripes with D2 being too easy and I think it would make it a lot more tactical than it is currently.

8. prion

prion IncGamers Member

this would basically make it so that adults can't play hardcore because if someone is banging on your door or your kid is bothering your or the dishwasher explodes you need to be able to leave the game or portal to town immediately

9. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

Because you cant wait 4 seconds to answer the door? or the dishwasher is going to blow up more if you wait 4 seconds to get up?

10. MoUsE_WiZ

That was about my reaction upon reading his post, but then I thought a little further.

If you're in a duel or a crowded area something it's not just the x second to log out, it's the time to finish what you're doing so you can wait the x seconds without dying, and to that he has a point.

Would, say, an instant portal (not logout, as you don't want to lose your place on the map) spell on an hour long cooldown or something be a reasonable way of solving that issue? Or would people just be silly and wait until it was back up before every duel they got, or before going to do anything dangerous? And if they were being silly like that, would it really matter... 1 hour (or maybe longer, up to 4 I think would be reasonable) seems like a fairly decent penalty to be doing nothing if you're going to wait for it every time.

11. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

Well, that is a good point, but say we add a "hearthstone" to the game that worked as an instant portal once every hour. You still end up with the exact same script abuse problems.

When you play, how often do you think you run into a 'close call' certainly less than once an hour, so the chickenhack that automatically uses your hearthstone every time you're in a close call situation would still be intact and still compromise the integrity and purity of hardcore mode.

What about this: What if instead of a 4 or 5 second cast time, your town portal took 5 seconds to activate. So you cast it, and 5 seconds later it's open, but that leaves you free to evade enemies and generally try to stay alive for 5 seconds, solving the duel + emergency problem without enabling super easy scripting your way out of any deaths.

I'm tempted to say problem solved, but there might be something I'm overlooking like in my initial response.

12. coldsong

well by that logic adults shouldnt be playing lots of multiplayer games - but they do. dishwasher exploding in the middle of illidan kill is not a good way to earn your DKP either ;]

Regardless, i think more or less all of HC people understand that S/E system should be changed. I guess we will see what Blizzard does about it.

13. coldsong

p.s. i dont know why the poll is closed. sigh

14. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

There's something buggy going on with polls in the forums right now...

15. generatedname

generatedname IncGamers Member

LAG SPIKE.

just ran into a group of dolls or ghouls or whatever your nemesis is and suddenly everything stops moving.

Options: Pray for the best, run back and forth to try to get the server caught up with you. Save & Exit and GTFO of that impossible trap.

So, its this simple. Hardcore + latency = need for an instant exit.

16. coldsong

s/e will not save you from a lag spike. There will be delay regardless, during which you will be standing still.

17. Magi

Magi IncGamers Member

Evidently, you don't have kids. There are some things that require 110% of your attention RIGHT NOW! :wink:

18. coldsong

well by that logic a game should be least of your priorities.

19. phool

phool IncGamers Member

reaction speed, and ability to assess the danger of a situation, is a valid skill (of course, so is avoiding the situation in the first place). How about a penalty for s+eing outside of town, such as a significent experience reduction, rather than an outright ban?

/joke

20. MoUsE_WiZ

1) As mentioned, if you're going to drop you're still stuck there timing out.
    2) Hopefully D2 will have much better servers... remember a LOT of the lag right now is caused by people trying to dupe... we'd better not have to deal with that again.

I was thinking about that as I posted it.
    And you're kind of right in that the chances of it being used that often are kind of low, but it's my opinion that if someone is relying on that ability to save themself they aren't going to be playing while it's down on the chance that 2 close calls came up at once.

Perhaps force the time out?

It occurs to me that with either of our systems people can cast their portal before hand and run into danger with it up.

For that reason I'd like some sort of 1 way portal to get players down to you (or yourself back to where you were) and just a hearth sort of thing to get yourself back to town. But now I wonder if the system isn't getting over complicated.

Duelers don't want exp.
    LLDs might even want to get rid of it.
    This might be an ok way to set it up in PvM, but PvP it would do nothing.
    Also, you edited I think. Or at least I didn't see the line about either the ban or the /joke before.