Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SATA hard drives question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MeNTaIPaTleNT, Sep 5, 2006.

1. MeNTaIPaTleNT

MeNTaIPaTleNT IncGamers Member

SATA hard drives question

i have an ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard which supports SATA hard drives. i dont know much about SATA and every time i try to search it just gives me sites where i can buy SATA hdd's and other crap.

i already have an 80gb hdd connected by an IDE cable, if i get a new SATA hdd can i have 1 hdd connected by IDE and the other connected by SATA??? or do they both have to have the same connection???

also if i buy a SATA hdd do i have to set up RAID??? or does the SATA cable bascally replace the IDE as a smaller cable????

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

It's a separate bus. You won't have a problem using the two drives as separate drives.

If you want to RAID them, having one on ATA and one on SATA might be a problem. Not too sure about that. But you shouldn't have any trouble getting them both to work at the same time so long as your MB supports them both.

A good place to find noncommercial information about SATA is . . . *drumroll* . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

3. MeNTaIPaTleNT

haha didnt even think about wikipedia...so u think i can get away with one on IDE and the other on SATA???

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Don't see a reason why not. I've added SATA to a machine with a PCI card and used both kinds of drives at once; if the motherboard has the SATA connectors ready to go already you should be ahead of the game.

5. MeNTaIPaTleNT

yeah it supports sata and came with the cables...i just dont wanna buy a sata hdd and then not be able to use it because i have another hdd hooked up on ide

6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Actually I have a SATA question too... I still haven't been able to figure out how to hook up more than two optical drives at a time (I have a CD burned, DVD drive and DVD burner) - any time I try to use more than one IDE cable Windows refuses to load. I'm thinking maybe it's because my hard drive is SATA... does anyone know anything about this?

7. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

My sister had this problem too. Make sure that you only have one set as Master per IDE cable. Your going to have to change the jumper setting on whatever drive your going to have as slave.