Sanctuary Trolls Nest -- Max Block?

FathomFear

Diabloii.Net Member
Sanctuary Trolls Nest -- Max Block?

Hey all!

I found a 3os Trolls Nest last week and decided to make a Sanctuary. To my delight it has 70 resist all! :clap: Is it worth investing dexterity to get max block with this shield? Or is better to get enough dex to get max block with Whistans/Eld? I am a pure blizzard Sorc. I know the dex investment would be so much less with Whistans, but I hate the mods. :eek:

Here are the stats:

Defense: 412
Chance to Block: 60%
20% Faster Hit Recovery
20% Faster Block Rate
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
147% Enhanced Denfese
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+20 Dexterity
All Resistences 70%
Magic Damage Reduced by 7
60 Charges of Level 12 Slow Missile.

Thanks.

lonnie913

Diabloii.Net Member
i say go for it. the shield itself has 20dex so its equivalent to having a 67-68% blocking shield (thats just a guess i didnt do the math :lol: ). i probably would have gone with a different shield (i think troll nest is horrible ugly and i would gone for 64% block if possible) but its definitely a nice shield. the dexterity investment is not such a big deal... its not as though the sorceress get much life from her points anyway...now if she got 3 life per vitality then i think blocking would be much less common.

with a lvl 80 sorceress:
87% whitstans: 153 dex = max block
60% troll nest: 215 dex = max block

thats a difference of 62 stats, but really only 42 b/c sanctuary has 20 dex. thats 84 life. big deal. the 70% resist MORE than makes up for it. plus slow missles. i dont understand the rationale behind whitstan's w/ eld. sure it saves stat points, but it does absolutely nothing else. compare this to mods on rhyme, sanctuary, stormshield, moser's, and visceratuant...it just makes no sense.

EDIT: did the math, and at lvl 80, that 20 dex is similar to having +7% shield blocking, or a 67% ctb troll nest.

FathomFear

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the response.

I also have Gerke's Sanctuary and Stormshield at my disposal. How do these shields stack up to my Sanctuary? I made this Bliz sorc for MFing mostly--I do not plan on much PvP, although I may do general PvM with friends.

Stormshield would require lots of investment into strength--and Gerke's is a nice poor man's Stormshield, with resistences & physical/magic reduction...and some nice replenish life.

Thoughts? :thumbsup:

EnerSense

Diabloii.Net Member
Go for Stormshield. My archmage has one. She's wearing Tal's belt which gives 20 dex points. I also socketed the shield with an Eld which gives 7% chance to block. So the shield has 74% ctb instead of 67% ctb. The dex requirement for max block then becomes 216. Still high but I like the 35% DR and the fact that the defense of the shield goes up when my character level's up.

Edit - 216 only if you plan to take the character to level 99. :)

lonnie913

Diabloii.Net Member
choosing a shield is all about preference. what combination of mods do you like? with stormshield and shako, you have nearly max pdr% (45%). no other shield can provide that. sanctuary gives massive resist and slow missles which is probably the only place a sorc can get it. do you find slow missles useful? do you use it often? mosers has resist and is customizeable (pdiamonds, facets....) all shields have their charms...

slynth

Diabloii.Net Member
It depends on your resists, IMO. If you have good res with SS, use that. If you need the resist from sanctuary, use that.

I personally like the troll nest sanc better than SS because I almost always lack resist on my sorcs.