Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

sanctuary skill thoughts

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by okey, Dec 11, 2017.

1. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

while contemplating/theorycrafting on a bonafide ud killer I (re)stumbled on the disappointment that is sanctuary (the issue on how its ed vs ud does not work as intended).

so i am curious how would everyone feel as players of the game if we had a simple patch to rectify the issue to have it properly working as described?

i reckon it would open a handful if not more viable builds.

2. thefranklin

thefranklin Diabloii.Net Member

I don't really see it opening up more builds, it is just another melee damage aura that would have huge numbers towards undead.

Plus if they fixed it, I could see them removing the part where it sets undead monster's physical resistance to zero, which imo is more op than if it worked correctly. If that was not changed, it would possibly be used as a one point wonder (as it is now), or at least a nice place to dump points for after your normal zeal skill build is done. A synergy adding in some attack rating would also be helpful if one were to start tooling with it.

pharphis likes this.
  3. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

well I was thinking along the lines that it could open up more themed builds by means of relaxing the requirement of a high damage item / gear to supplement against undead.

on the case that it does get rectified the ed vs ud is fixed it should the dmg boost should just apply to person fielding the aura similar to the fire/cold/light aura. this would operate seperately from the original aura effects (kb,magic dmg, pdr remove to ud) which will likewise again operate similarly as fire/cold/light aura would with their pulse damage.

on that note I would imagine the idea of an ud-hunter charger would go quite swimmingly in chaos or a2 tunnels should the aura function as intended.

4. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

I get your point, but who is to say that this aspect isn't working correctly and therefore would remain as part of the skill. After all, the magic damage is incidental.

5. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

You can still do that @okey but in a different way as the skill description says. Setting physical resistances to 0 for undeads is huge! Imagine having lawbringer or lacerator on switch to set their physical resistances to negative aswell.

I often dump the rest of my skill points into blessed aim for zealers for the passive AR bonus

6. onderduiker

onderduiker Diabloii.Net Member

As well as +(30*slvl + 120)% Damage to Undead, Sanctuary is also supposed to apply +(50*slvl + 50) Attack Rating Against Undead (although this isn't displayed in its tooltips).

Sanctuary ignores any remaining Undead Damage Resist after Amplify Damage or Decrepify reduces it, so the curses are normally* redundant if they don't result in DR < 0% (DR 100 - 100/5 = 80 then 0, not DR 100 then 0 - 100 or even 100/5 = -100 or -20) and Sanctuary is redundant if the curses do result in DR < 0% (DR 50 - 100 = -50, not DR 50 then 0 - 100 = -100).

* Sanctuary doesn't apply when calculating Crushing Blow damage, so the curses aren't redundant if they result in DR < 100%.

ioupainmax, thefranklin and pharphis like this.