Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sanctuary Pally ideas(Brainstorm?)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Gravez, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Gravez

Gravez IncGamers Member

Sanctuary Pally ideas(Brainstorm?)

Im in the process of making a sanctuary Pally for some fun. I dont have any items lined up for him, in fact i started a new account with this char so ill be going from scratch. I figure since im making an odd build it will actually be fun to MF. The purpose of this post is to throw around some ideas on how to make a Sanctuary palladin(undead killer) that is effective at his job and can match (for one reason or another) a Cleric at killing undead. Has anyone made a sanctadin in 1.10?

I plan to use charge as my attack skill(yes a pvm charger). I thought about useing zeal to take advantage of the huge damage to undead Sanct gives but then i remembered the knockback that it (sanct)causes... this is where charge comes in. The knockback pushes them away in a circular motion so they are more spread out, thus i can bounce from monster to monster with charge (think pinball) and i wont have to do the whole runaway..charge..runaway..charge thing. Its working nicely and i dont even have anything maxed yet. Its almost like the two skills are meant for each other.

Im using Bonesnap now and im thinking of sticking to big 2hand clubs(more damage to undead)... unless theres a better choice... any ideas? im also maxing might for charge damage and to have a damage aura for non undead... its working well and its not as gimpy as i thought it would be at all. I havent decided if im gunna max vigor(charge synergy) and im definately not guna max cleansing(sanct synergy) cus the magic damage is very very crap. Monster heal alone pretty much nullifys it. i have 4 in zeal for when i run out of mana and i think ill get a point or so in redemption... maybe ill run NIhlathak. Ill probly go with a holy freeze merc.

NOw my questions are:
    Has anyone done this succesfully in 1.10?
    Any gear suggestions? ideal and feasble alike.
    Any other skills i should consider?
    Any merc suggestions?
    Stat placement suggestions?

Ill take any suggestions. This seems like a fun char that is not covered due to its oddness. Ill make a post about how it worked once i get him to MFing lvl. TY for all responses in advance. :drool:

2. MhUser

MhUser IncGamers Member

ytesterday i started my sanct paly
    but im going to build him like this:

Sanctuary: 20 (+ prereq)
    Conviction: 1 (1 point wander against non undead)
    Vengeance: 18 (+rereq)
    Holy Shield: 1 (+ prereq; again a 1 point wander to help my block with

enough + skills)
    Resist Lightning, Resist Fire, Resist Cold: 20 (venegance synergies)

with 10 (can b more up to 20 with skillers) +skills:
    Vengeance
    Skill Level: 28
    Cold Length: 17.4 seconds
    Fire Damage: +432 percent
    Cold Damage: +432 percent
    Lightning Damage: +432 percent
    Attack: +290 percent
    Mana Cost: 10.7

Sanctuary
    Skill Level: 30
    Radius: 22.6 yards
    Damage to Undead: +1020 percent
    Magic Damage: 140-170

weapon: Heaven's Light (+3 skills, 3 sockets :D)

shield: Herald of Zakarum (+4 skills, 50% res all)

belt: Verdungo's (15% DR)

armor: Guardian Angel (+1 skills nad 15% resists all)

boots: Merman's Sprocket (defence, cannot be frozen, 65% FRW)

gloves: +2 pally skills with 20 IAS and more rares

helm: Crown of Ages (+1 skills, 30% res all, 15% DR, 2 sockets)

amu: Mara's (+2 skills, 30% res all)

ring1: Nature's Peace (oak, Prevents Monster Healing, no monster

resurection, 30% poison res)

ring2: rare with ml resists

all together:
    30% DR
    110%/110%/110%/140% res (id get some res from gloves and ring the rest can

come from charms and id d have 95% res all in hell; +15 guardian +5 auras

hidden bonus)
    +13 skills

I think I will 1 hit KO any normal undead in the game :D

merc ?? socketing ??

any sugestions ??

3. MhUser

MhUser IncGamers Member

i dont know how much str do i need and how much dex
    i know to much dex wont hurt but str ??

the crown of ages has high str req (174; if i put 2 -15 req rare jewels with other mods it would have 122 and the mods on it are great)

what about leach i've heard that sanctuary lets u leach from undead
    i also heard that sanct removes their immunities (WOW!!) is it true ??

4. MhUser

MhUser IncGamers Member

pls any1 answer my questions

5. Gravez

Gravez IncGamers Member

I think Sanctuary removes phisical immuneity but not sure about anything else. This build is gunna be fun i can already tell... just got into NM and im doing good with non undead and im pretty much making quik work of undead. Im astonished mainly cus im using might and charge for non undead(charge max might 14 and rising) and its doing well. Sanctuary is fun and practicle even when not all the monsters around are undead. It keeps anything undead off you long enough to waste the monsters/demons. I think i may use Laying of hands with my build for more undead damage and some help against demons. Glad to hear your working on a Sanctadin as well... keep me posted if you come up with anythng useful.

BTW: i Suggest getting 10 in your main skills and Sanct first cus Sanct does well at 10... well enough for nm at least. At 10 it does more damage to undead then conc/fanat would and the radius for the knockback is very workable. Also id say freeze merc. I picked him cus the sanct adds knockback to undead so with freeze added it will pretty much keep undead off you til youre ready to fight them. it will also help with the faster monsters while you have Sanct keeping the undeads away.

Edit: I have yet to find out if Sanct lets you leach from undead... skelletons i mean. Zombies and such you can always leach from but i dont notice any leach on skelles even though ive heard you can. As for dex if you max Veng you wont need as much so base it on your sheilds max block neccessity and your holy sheild lvl. Sanct doesnt add AR so you might wanna get some dex early... then again convic makes it easy to hit monsters due to lowered def so...

6. KryptMaker

KryptMaker IncGamers Member

These boots aren't in the game.

7. King's Specter

King's Specter IncGamers Member

I was under the impression that sanct was bugged and didn't give the damage bonus. Have you gotten far enough to tell?

It IS great for removing PI and leeching of undead, though.

-KS

8. Gravez

Gravez IncGamers Member

i dont think its bugged... i only have it at lvl 10 right hence it only does around 250% damage more to undead then my might aura would(max)... It *Seems* to work correctly but its not high lvl enough to really tell. Ill repost on it onec i max it.

9. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

One ideal what about having knockback on your weapon so when you attack with vengance you have a chance to use charge vs non undead?

10. tuesday4am

tuesday4am IncGamers Member

I know it's an old thread, but I've been working on my Sanctuary Paladin (aka Van Helsing, VanHelsing, Undead Hunter, Sanctadin), and I find this to be one of the more challenging and fun builds I've tried. I've seen a lot of great ideas for this build, including gold finding and melee.

I tried something a bit different with mine. Since Sanctuary alone isn't going to cut it in the long run, I decided to create a Cleric/Undead Hunter. My breakdown is this:

20 Sanctuary
    20 Cleansing
    X Holy Bolt
    X Fist of Heaven
    X Prayer
    1 in each every other defensive aura

It's a work in progress, but coming along. The damage to undead and healing effect of Holy Bolt seems to make it a natural fit for this build. I've also thought of a pure Undead Hunter along these lines:

20 Sanctuary
    20 Cleansing
    20 Holy Bolt
    20 Fist of Heaven
    X (the rest) in Hammer for the synergies

Another interesting application of this build is magic find. With Sanctuary, you can wear any MF equipment and do Blood Raven runs (though she is a demon, of course). I mean hopping into a nearly full game and clearing out the Crypt and Mausoleum (only undead). With the knockback, nothing can touch you, and you can FoH them quickly. If this was already obvious to everyone, I apologize.

11. skygoneblue

skygoneblue IncGamers Member

I was going to say, why not FoH? If you're knocking back enemies anyway, why not have a ranged attack?

Use Sanctuary, FoH, and synergize the hell out of FoH, then do Pindle runs in Hell. You could also use Redemption so that the Pindle corpses don't revive.

12. tuesday4am

Yes, FoH and HB work well with this build. Maybe also this:

20 Sanctuary
    20 Cleansing
    20 Foh
    20 Holy Shock
    X Whatever (Holy Shield, uncommon defensive auras for party support?)

Since you are already knocking back and magic damaging the undead with Sanctuary, synergize FoH with HS but forget Holy Bolt. You can deal with the undead easily and do some decent lightning damage with FoH too.

As for melee, 1 point in Conversion and level in groups.

13. tuesday4am

By the way, is there a guide for this build? I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I've already seen three or four good sub-sub-class options (melee, cleric, gold find, Foh, etc.).

14. skygoneblue

skygoneblue IncGamers Member

Whoever smelt it, dealt it! It's your guide to make, buddy! ;)