Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

sanctuary paladin build guide

Discussion in 'Classic' started by HegemonKhan, May 1, 2008.

1. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

sanctuary paladin build guide

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the comprehensive sanctuary build guide, version 1.1 :

sanctuary skill:
    --------------------------
    0. it now seems 99.99999% confirmed that the enhanced damage to undead (or UEDam=Undead Enhanced Damage) on-for the weapon attack does NOT work:

"At least in expansion the %ED to undead does not work properly. It is given to the undead it affects instead of yourself (Stephan)."

and fredsta54 said also that it does NOT work (for classic too)
    --------------------------
    1. breaks phys immunity ONLY (credit goes to warlock for testing) on undead with weapon attack. as a side effect, it MIGHT break the leech immunity also on undead. (this may be false, so test and see if u can leech from undead). (updated: I HAVE been able to leech from undead when using sanctuary at least in norm or maybe nm difficulty. maybe in hell difficulty the phys resistance is too high to break with sanctuary. this could be like similarity with cold mast and cold resistance. i'm not sure yet if i can leech in hell cs)
    2. % enhanced damage to undead with weapon damage DOES work (credit to warlock for testing). ONLY works with melee weapon, NOT ranged weapons (at least i think i'm right. could use testing to see if sanctuary works with "bows" or not)
    3. sanctuary's ENHANCED DAMAGE is NOT effected by IM, but normal damage from weapon is. (credit to warlock for testing)
    4. has HOLY (credit to warlock for testing) damage for its pulse, thus only works on undead and it's very weak (low) damage. (sk lvl 20= ~100 damage for pulse damage). magical damage immunity does NOT effect holy damage as holy is a different type fo damage from magical (credit to warlock for testing)
    5. knockback effect on pulse. ONLY works on undead
    6. cleansing only boasts the pulse damage of sanctuary so not too useful as synergy, though its curse reduction is very nice
    ----------------------------------
    quick explanation of sanctuary when u have IM curse on/effecting u, if the info above this is confusing (credit goes to warlock for testing):

if your weapon damage is 100 and u get IM'ed and attack a monster than U will get hit with 100 damage. BUT u will NOT get hit with sanctuary's (~700% enchanced damage) 700 damage back onto yourself. u only will take 100 damage, not 700 damage
    ----------------------------------

Sanctuary builds:

1. sacrifice (probably best for sanctuary, though i have no idea if the two skills' enchanced damage will create gigantic damage to undead monsters OR if sacrifice even works with sanctuary)
    2. zeal (good build, but knockback is frustrating when trying to zeal, cuz it require's u to use some skill to position monsters up against something so u can zeal without them being knocked back from sanctuary pulse OR as warlock mentioned have a fast enough zeal that u kill the monsters before they get knocked back)
    3. vengence (never tried, though could work really nice with sanctuary)(but u dont need vengence's elemental damages since sanctuary breaks phys immunities)
    4. conversion (probably a bad skill to use. sanctuary lets u kill everything with phys damage and u should do good phys damage. u wanna kill cuz u can, u don't wanna convert monsters)
    5. charge (i have no idea if sanctuary works on charge, but if it does the knockback from pulse will help u with charging monsters). (warlock thinks that sanctuary will probably work with charge. though hadnt got a tested confirmation yet from warlock)
    6. smite (no idea if sanctuary works on smite, probably does NOT since u using shield, and i'm sure sanctuary only works on melee weapon, not also a shield). (warlock thinks that sanctuary will probably work with smite. though hadnt got a tested confirmation yet from warlock)

sacrifice sanctuary build:

1. max sacrifice, redemption, fanaticism, sanctuary, than whatever skills u want
    2. highest damage 2h weapon (your choice)(also up to u with what attack speed u want)
    3. whatever gear u want/need
    4. whatever stat pts placement u want/need

zeal sanctuary build:

1. max zeal, sacrifice, sanctuary, than whatever skills u want
    2. highest damage 2h weapon (your choice)(also up to u with what attack speed u want)

vengence sanctury build:

1. max vengence, sanctuary, res cold, res fire, res lit (lit=lightning), at least 1 pt salvation, rest into whatever skills u want

conversion sanctury build:

1. do NOT do/try this. bad idea. doesn't go together.
    2. but if some one wants to, please post your findings with it.

charge sanctuary build:

1. max charge, vigor, might, sanctuary, than rest into whatever skills u want
    2. highest damage 2h weapon (your choice)(if u wanna also zeal than up to u with what attack speed u want)

smite sanctuary build:

1. max smite, holy shield, sanctuary, than rest into whatever skills u want
    2. highest damage/best shield (+2 skills, 30/20, high def, resists barbed shield). fastest weapon. etc.. (see smite builds on this site)
    i'll let u guys/girls go into more detail with the different builds u try and what the gear u use for them. or whatver else u wanna add to this. by u guys/girls posting on to this thread. this will be my single post and will be a base guide for u to add additional info to with posts.

please post personal set ups for the sanctury builds u made/use, like what gear u use and stat distributions and skills distributions

(i'm trying to only make one post since double-multiple posts are "frowned on" and i'll let u post addiction stuff i didnt adress like prefered gear, stats, skills for whatever build u tried/use etc..)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Re: sanctuary paladin build guide

1. no, you do not break the PI on monster or demon types. Fortunately, those are rare.

2. yes, the damage enhancement on melee weapons works on undead. If you have euro sc nl realm access I can show you with my grim scythe zealer.

3. only the enhanced damage is immune to IM, you still get whiplash for the physical damage you do. So 100% of your damage is physical and 750% on top of that is to undead. The latter of those two damage types does not get reflected back onto your head in case of IM.

4. the damage of the pulse is of the type 'holy', which is why it only works on undead. In fact, it works on the greater mummies just fine, even though they are magic immune.

as for the builds, the knockback is not much of a problem as long as your zeal is fast enough. (6fpa 2h zeal anybody ? :) )

Charge is a melee skill and I find your idea of Smite Salvation very interesting. That too should work.

3. HegemonKhan

thank you!!!!!!! been waiting long time for the final say on whether all these things work on not. warlock is the authority! thanks for finding out these things for me and others!!!! sorry for this post but i really had the impulse to thank u for this much apreciated and long missing info i wasnt sure of.

BTW, i'm proud of this post-guide. it's actually pretty neat and well done, especially for me:D. i'm shocked i made this one so much more organized and not so messy!!!

4. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

If you would take my humble opinion:grin:...

Capitalization helps.

5. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Yeap, it is indeed a very nice guide. If you copy the text, make some modifications and repost in this thread I'll replace your original post with the new content and remove the new post if you want.
    And I'll link it to the sticky along with the Efficient rush guide by Louis. :)

6. barty

barty IncGamers Member

nice guide :) vengance sounds interesting with sanc, maybe a knout [range 3 +undead bonus + good speed]. max sanc, max veng, split skills between res cold/light/fire. maybe less skills on fire because alot of things have good fire res in hellcs. lvl 20 sanc and 20 veng will add 2x res at 400+% ed, 720% dmg to undead, 2xx % ar, plus some cold length
    anyone know how the elemental aspect of vengance works? like if it says 400% ed, and u have 0 cold dmg, is it 400%ed of 0? or is it 400% of 1?
    id like to know if all 3 elements hit at the same time too, that would be some gg dmg with sanc vs undead :), maybe even enough dmg with some cb to slay the venom lords ... interesting. anyone know?

7. barty

barty IncGamers Member

the 400%+ ed for elementl dmg comes from having 2 of the res aura boosted up near 20

8. HegemonKhan

how vengence skill works and passive resist element skills

this is for your questions barty:

i think this is how vengence works:

if u have a weapon that does 100 damage, than vengence takes that and lets say it gives 2x (200%) to all elemental damage (synergies into res fire/cold/lit are at same level so bonus is same for all of them=to keep it simple). this is what it does:

100 (normal phys weapon damage) + (100*2x ice) + (100*2x fire) + (100*2x lit) = 100 phys + 200 ice + 200 fire +200 lit damages to monster= 700 total damage to monster though of course all the damages can be resisted or immune to by the monster. which is why conviction is the aura u want to use with vengence, though sanctuary can still be fun too to try but is much weaker aura to use than conviction for vengence skill.

*only weapon's damage is calculated for vengence. higher str (or other forms of enhanced damage like sanctuary or might or from gear like CB are NOT apllied into vengence's elemental damage bonus) does NOT increase elemental damage from vengence, higher str increases phys damage of weapon but is NOT used in formula for the elemental damages from vengence

*enhanced damage still DOES effect the phys. damage of weapon, it jsut is NOT used for vengence's elemental damage calculations which are added with/onto your phys. damage. so using the above example:

weapon does 100 phys damage, vengence gives lets say 2x elemental damage, and lets say sanctuary gives 5x enhcanced damage, this is how it would work:

(100*5x phys) + (100*2x fire) + (100*2x cold) + (100*2x lit) = 500 phys + 200 fire + 200 cold + 200 lit = 1100 damage total (barring monster's resists/immunities). notice the elemental still only uses 100 damage and not 500 damage.

*if vengence did (which it does NOT) use the 500 enhanced damge u would get: 500 phys + 1000 fire + 1000 cold + 1000 lit = 3500 total damage (3500=this is NOT the damage u get! only showing what it would be if this WAS how it worked, but it doesnt work this way)

the bigger (more damaging) the weapon itself (and ONLY this), the more elemental damage is added onto your weapon's phys damage from vengence skill calculations
    how hidden passive paladin's resist element (res cold, res fire, res lit) work:

*also note, that while increasing fire res skill synergy for vengence might be little use offensively since as u know most monsters r fire immune or highly resistant (though if u were using conviction and not sanctuary than your fire will do good damage to monsters cuz of conviction. conviction breaks elemental immunities, btw) that by also added to fire res it increases your maximum fire resistance (every 2 pts into fire res gives hidden bonus of +1 to your maximum fire resistance) (or any of the other 2 elementals...cold resist add to your cold resists maximum, and so does lit)

*explanation of hidden bonus to your maximum resist from the 3 elem resist skills:

*normally the highest resist u can get is 75%. however, there's gear that can raise this higher (like hotspurs, hawkmail, vemon chest armor, etc). well there's another way as well with the paladin and his resist element skills (resist cold, resist fire, resist lit).

*at 20 pts into fire resist, the paladin's fire resist maximum is increased by half coming out to be +10 to max fire resist. so your normal 75% max fire resist is now able to be at 85% if u have enough fire resists (maximum elemental resists, or anything, is 95% cap). same is for cold resist and lit resist

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  9. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

I cannot test it now and Ive started wondering: does sanctuary work on the council in travincal? Or arent they undead (just demons?).
    Could a sanctuary charger just sweep through them? (1hit kill?)

10. HegemonKhan

pretty sure council are NOT undead (probably demon class?), so sanctuary has NO effect.

i'm pretty sure that every undead monster, DOES have undead in/under their name. i dont think diablo creators forgot labeling any undead monster.

if there is an un-labeled undead monster, please let us all know.

11. HegemonKhan

according to the wiki, sanctuary damage does NOT work with smite. hopefully this is accurate from the wiki and whoever put it on wiki.

http://www.diabloii.net/wiki/Paladin_Combat_Skills

scroll down a bit to the smite skill and read. it mentions under damage not applied to smite that sanctuary damage is NOT applied to smite.

12. EagleEntek

EagleEntek IncGamers Member

The only bugger of sanctuary is that you need a good killing skill that either doesnt rely on an aura for damage (in which case vengenace is alreet) or you need a skill thats magic - i.e bolts.
    And as im finding, vengeance is a big mana hog and is proving tough to kill things with due to all my res gear no ar boosting gear and no aura for dmg / ar - argh *tears hair out* why do these novelty builds suck so much when you want something different grrr

Its like an uphill struggle i tell thee trying to make sommit novel that works and is fun but can kill well..:shocked:

13. HegemonKhan

sanctuary gives u great damage against undead. it doesn't do anything for living (NON-undead).

however, the combat skills can deal with monsters (both undead and living).

zeal will work great in hell cs 8 player game against living monsters (venom lords). and sanctuary-zeal does even more damage with undead monsters. u just need to be a high level character and a decent to good weapon and zeal works fine in hell cs. easy zeal build is a clegger (see site for clegger=zeal using cleglaws sword n set). u can also use the set mace item..forgot its name at the moment...but it gives more damage as your character level gets higher. u can use these two things until u can find a good 2h or 1h weapon.

vengence works great against all monsters (well, at least when u r using the conviction aura. i don't know how well vengence does without conviction aura). it does have a very high mana cost. u'll need good mana leech. most players will wait to put more pts into vengence to keep its mana cost low and instead put pts into the resists skills for more damage and more max resist until they have a larger mana pool from high level and lots of mana leech. more damaging weapon more damage from vengegence. more damaging weapon more life and mana returned/received from leeching.

sacrifice does huge damage but has the damage returned to u problem. if u don't know about this, jsut read about the sacrifice skill.