Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

San Francisco Mayor Bans Sugary Drinks From Vending Machines

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Talga Vasternich, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

Article

People like this get under my skin.
    He bans sugary drinks from vending machines to fight obesity.

yet...from the article...
    This may sound like a smart move, but a nutrition expert said replacing soda with other drinks like juice or milk does little to solve the fundamental problem of people drinking too many calories.
    "By replacing sodas with soy milk or milk or juices you give people more calcium and nutrients,” U.C. San Francisco critical care nutritionist Irma Ishkanian told the San Francisco Weekly.
    But as far as obesity, if you have two cans or bottles of juice, you're still having just as many or more calories. It's not really helping with obesity.”

What's next on the list of legal things to be banned in the name of the greater good?

2. DoW Fanatic

DoW Fanatic IncGamers Member

3. nicro tower

nicro tower Diablo: IncGamers Member

I love soy milk!!!

I also love my pop.

4. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Escape from LA?
    LA is not SF

Nor is it SD or SJ

and the capital of CA is Sacramento.

SF is pretty unique, I regard it like the Vatican, they make all kinds of silly rules and act like it's a separate country but it's not really.

5. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

They aren't done yet: Now, they are considering banning all non-fish pets as well!

6. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

PETA is a Political Party there I hear.

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

now oakland has all the guns and all the soda

8. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Talga, you forgot to mention that it only refers to vending machines on city property. That makes a big difference. The government acts as the host here. They can hardly disallow them in general.

The plan about banning the sale of pets is a joke, however. It sounds so silly that it can only be a kind of test balloon.

Soy milk: :yuck:

10. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Milk/Juice has the same amount of calories as Soda has? HHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Yankees pour sugar into milk. (WtfmanSloth.jpg here)

As for the PETA thing, I would love to dump them into a lion's cage. (Not so animal loving now, HUH?)

Ps. Soy milk isn't really that bad. It's.... different.

11. krischan

Believe it or not, but full milk has about twice as many calories as juices, coke etc.

Full milk: 55g fat, 47g carbs, 33g protein per litre, that's about 840 calories per litre. Milk makes strong and there's a reason for it.
    Coke: 106g carbs, no fat and protein, that's 434 calories per litre.
    Juice: It depends on the kind of juice, orange juice has a bit more calories than coke.

BTW, none of the three is really good against thirst. Also, the amount of calories says nothing about quality.

12. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

There is a reason why fat-free milk is promoted.

13. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

after i got out of high school and perhaps my brother's first or second year there, they took out the coke machines of the cafeteria and put water, sports drinks, and fruit drinks in there. i was pissed when he had a Choir program going on and i wanted a gd soda but couldn't find any until i went to the other end of the school!!! ooh, i was mad! and i couldn't get a bottle because they had taken those out. i had to get a can. which is fine, i like cans, but it is NOT fine when i CAN! NOT! BRING! MY! SODA! IN! TO! THE! AUDIT! TORIUM! WITH! ME! AAARRGGHH!!! laaaaaaaame. :unimpressed: if i can't smoke, give me a coke! and if i can't get my coke fix, i get all twitchy and anxious and kinda snappy. it calms me down, give me my gd soda! i understand why they did it (help the obesity problem and get kids healthier) and none of my sibs have extracurricular activities anymore... ok, ONE does but i am allowed coke (and a cigarette if i wanted to go to my car and smoke) so i am happy. :)

anyways.... i love how Jillian from Biggest Loser is on my page. TWICE. and on the opposite side is an ad for Coca-Cola coupons. XD is this going to help or is all the milk going to go bad because that would be a waste then. :(

14. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Quite often when the claim is made that it's "for the children", it's actually about someones pockets getting money behind the scenes.

15. krischan

:yuck:

If I have a choice, I would rather drink tap water.

16. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Yeah, it has no taste whatsoever so I suppose it does need to be promoted.

17. Talga Vasternich

Sure, they can ban whatever they want on city property... just don't do it under the guise of "anti-obesity" when the replacements will be just as bad or worse for obesity.
    To use one of my favorite phrases, "Don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining."

BTW, this is the city whose vending-machine contract with Coke expired this year. When it was to be renewed, Coke politely declined. I imagine their response was due to the proposed huge tax increase on soda.
    QFT!

18. Exile

Exile IncGamers Member

I am currently sitting in San Francisco, and hilariously enough drinking a tall frosty bottle of coke as we speak (dropped in in the freezer for 30 min for good measure)

Anyway, case in point is that it seems like the rest of the country treats San Francisco with a, "oh brother, what next?" mentality.
    Anyway, this is only in government ran areas, which are pretty small.

And just one more thing to point out, is that every day I swing by city hall, and there is another random group of people protesting something new. The mayor is up to his eyeballs with crazy fringe groups who have a vision for the city. Blocking the door to his office. Sooner or later he just gets fed up with it all and throws them a bone so they will all stfu so he can get on with his job. To imply that the mayor is cutting super secret backdoor deals is really sort of silly. And this is probably the result of alot of really bored, overly concerned kids from Berkley.

I think his response went something like this.
    "Ban sugary drinks from vending machines on government property? Ok fine, F##k it, just leave me alone so I can try and run this damn city."

19. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Ahem, Fat-free milk has a bad taste?
    YOU HAVE A BAD TASTE.

I guess not all people can drink their milk "HYLA"....

20. Talga Vasternich

A quote from Mayor Gavin Newsome from Newsweek magazine conerning his ban of city government purchase of single-serving bottled water...
    "The transportation and distribution, developing the plastic for the water bottles, the cost of the water, has a huge environmental and economic impact....the difference between bottled water and Diet Coke is that you can’t get Diet Coke from the tap. It’s not like any other bottled liquids. These people are making huge amounts of money selling God’s natural resources. Sorry, we’re not going to be part of it."

This is the same guy who sponsored or totally supported bills to ban disposable plastic shopping bags, travel to Arizona and the sale of cigarettes in pharmacies.
    If he is, indeed, "throwing them a bone", he's really good at it.