Same mistake 500 years later

SomeCanadianGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Same mistake 500 years later

Leading Canadian Politician Repeats Columbus Error

OTTAWA (Reuters) - A contender for the leadership of Canada's opposition Conservative Party was unflatteringly compared with Christopher Columbus this week and reminded that aboriginal Indians and people from India are different.

The politician, Stephen Harper, had to apologize after his office sent a letter to a native group, the Ontario Federation of Indian Friendship Centers, congratulating it on a holiday celebrating India's independence from Britain.

Wrong Indians. And the mistake prompted a stinging rebuke from federation president Rick Lobzun, who said Harper's letter, sent in January, recalled Columbus's error of mistaking America for India.

"This is 2004, Mr. Harper, not 1492 ... the last time a man got lost looking for India," Lobzun said.

Harper's spokeswoman, Carolyn Stewart-Olsen, said his office had used student interns to compile a database of Indo-Canadian and other groups as part of an outreach program and had got this one wrong.
Click... BOOM!

Just goes to show ya that it's not only American politicians that aren't that bright... :D

Any1

Banned
On the bright side, at least the interns were doing office work. Then again, who really knows. :wink2:

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Wait, so the group was called the Ontario Federation of Indian Friendship Center and someone thought they actually meant Indian? No way!

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
This is exactly what I thought. I always understood that "Indian" was a term shunned by the Native American community (then again, I don't know what Canadian aboriginals call themselves), so I can certainly understand why the misunderstanding occured. People will make a big deal out of anything.

SomeCanadianGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, first things first. "American" does not necessarily mean "inhabitant of the United States of America", Savage. American can refer to anyone who lives anywhere upon the three American continents (them being North America, Central America, and South America). So when one calls them "Native Americans", one is referring to the fact that they were one of the first human cultures to inhabit the Americas. For the same reasons, the ancient Mayas, Aztecs, Incas or whatever, are referred to also as "Native Americans". The two main reasons why, in my book, inhabitants of the US are called "Americans" is because 1)USers or UnitedStaters is just plain ugly and 2) no one else really gives a damn if you're called that or not.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Savage said:
This is exactly what I thought. I always understood that "Indian" was a term shunned by the Native American community (then again, I don't know what Canadian aboriginals call themselves), so I can certainly understand why the misunderstanding occured. People will make a big deal out of anything.
One might venture that Harper's office might have spent a grand total of 5 minutes researching the group before writing to them.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
SomeCanadianGuy said:
Alright, first things first. "American" does not necessarily mean "inhabitant of the United States of America", Savage. American can refer to anyone who lives anywhere upon the three American continents (them being North America, Central America, and South America). So when one calls them "Native Americans", one is referring to the fact that they were one of the first human cultures to inhabit the Americas. For the same reasons, the ancient Mayas, Aztecs, Incas or whatever, are referred to also as "Native Americans". The two main reasons why, in my book, inhabitants of the US are called "Americans" is because 1)USers or UnitedStaters is just plain ugly and 2) no one else really gives a damn if you're called that or not.
Uhh... thanks for the whatever lesson.

I lived in the US for three years.

I know all that.

I assumed that those Native Americans who live in Canada do refer to themselves in the same way, but I also thought they may call themselves something different, I've heard of stupider things.

And Steel, that's what I was driving at. It's not like he doesn't know the difference between Native Americans and Indians from India. He made a mistake, whatever.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
But you didn't get what I meant. I know that they made a mistake. It was an irresponsible one that could have easily been avoided though. There's no excuse for this kind of mistake, because 5 minutes on the Internet could have prevented it.

SomeCanadianGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry Savage, I guess I reacted a bit too harshly. Was in a rather pissy mood at that moment and your post was read under the wrong light. I'll be more careful next time around. No, Canadian Native Americans call themselves Native Americans too. But it was an incredibly moronic mistake to be made.