Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Saimat's 1.05b Adventure

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by fearedbliss, Dec 31, 2017.

1. fearedbliss

fearedbliss Diabloii.Net Member

Due to the 1.06 anti-dupe feature that actually will delete legit-ly farmed items (Items in pre-LOD can be generated with identical fingerprints), and also because I just screwed up the Necro build completely, I decided to restart him in 1.05b.

This is a continuation of this thread: https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/saimats-1-06b-adventure.959270/

So Saimat restart his adventures. This time, I looked at the skill tree and thought about a few things.

1. If my skeletons suck, what could I use to kill stuff? I know Blood Golem + Iron Maiden is a good combination, but that isn't a primary form of attack and also I need to be level 18 for Blood Golem anyways. With no "players" command being available, leveling will be slow, so we need to go slow and steady.

2. If I can't buy mana potions, then I need to have a build that can kill stuff but without relying on mana too much.

Due to the above two things, I felt I needed to go the old "Diablo 1" way which is that for the most part, every character is a melee character to some extent, and you use the skills for that specific class to play your melee character differently. So for now, Saimat will be a melee necromancer. This solves both the killing problem, and the reliance on mana problem.

Now the thing is that Necromancers aren't exactly tanky, however, due to the way classic block works, getting a shield with 50% CtB is really nice. Also, my best skill at the moment _has to be_ Bone Armor. With BA on, I can pretty much handle any monster so far, I just need to have some mana pots to bring the bone armor back up cause if I don't, I will die pretty quickly. Also another thing that opens up is that I can basically decide to not use a shield and instead use a two handed weapon for the increased damage, since my Bone Armor will provide that physical layer of protection. I will just need to worry about elemental resistances in order to handle it, but so far I got from level 1 to 11 in a few hours after taking my time and exploring stuff.

Level 1
    [​IMG]

Tanking 3 monsters in Underground Passage. Come at me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two handed bardiche with bone armor
    [​IMG]

Level 7 (Notice the "MAX" resistance for Fire (with Fire Shrine enabled) rather than 75)
    [​IMG]

First rare on this char
    [​IMG]

I even explored Hole level 1
    [​IMG]

Battle with the Smith
    [​IMG]

As I was playing, I also noticed that Diablo II Classic definitely feels A LOT more like Diablo 1 in terms of play and pace. When I play LOD I never feel like this even though they are using the same assets, but I felt this with Classic. Look at the artwork orientation, definitely feels like the dungeon design in the first few floors of D1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the end I got the Jail Level 1 WP and called it a day. Ultimately, I've always liked that classic was a much more simpler game and that everything meant something. Yesterday I felt like every magic item that dropped, every identity and town portal scroll, mana/hp/stamina potions, gems, and rares that dropped, actually meant something. Gold seems to be scarce in Classic, at least in the early levels, so I felt really good that everything meant something and had a purpose. I definitely enjoy Classic more than Expansion (Even though I like Expansion as well), so I actually might continue playing Classic as my official mode of play in 1.07+, and only play Expansion with friends that play it.

2. Barl

Barl Diabloii.Net Member

For my 1.00 necro, I basically just put one point in clay golem/amp damage, a few in corpse explosion and suffered all the way to 18 while saving points. After level 18 the entire game is a joke. Max iron maiden, max corpse explosion, put a few points into golem mastery if you want to. The only act boss that is difficult is Diablo, himself. And he can be a real pain. Revives can help in only a few rare spots, i.e., areas where there are more caster/ranged enemies than melee ones. I hardly ever used them outside of that, though.

Also re: gold, later on, pick up all items with staff mods, scepters, wands, etc; exceptional body armor/helms, and some exceptional throwing weapons (harpoons often sell for max, 25k). Also repair items before selling to vendor. Brings the price up.

Edit: corpse explosion was nerfed at some point after 1.00 (1.03 or 1.04?) but they reverted that nerf somewhat so in 1.05 i believe it's still very usable, if not the powerhouse that it is in 1.00

3. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

CE and Revives were nerfed in 1.03 not to scale up with players, but they're still good in solo games. Using melee until halfway through Act 2 is the best thing for almost all characters. Once you get some gold and level up a bit, put a few points into mana and gamble a Lidless Wall (5 MPK). That with 2xSoJ+Frosties will help mana issues. Not being able to buy mana pots, hmm... I liked that and didn't at the same time. It added strategy to the game but also made it frustrating.

Slightly off topic--
    IMO it isn't worth playing classic post-LoD. The game is still doable, but everything about the original was nerfed into oblivion. Casting delays took the fun out of so many skills (all to solve lag problems which don't apply in 2017). Nerfing gambling and rare items-which ruined the economy where legit players had a chance. Now it's just bot bot bot until you have accounts full of HRs, then roll a few choice runewords until their perfect, and then convert them to JSP currency.

Classic surely has more of a Diablo 1 feel to it, and the expansion moved away from that. Likely because the D2 team separated at the time (one worked on the expansion and the other worked on 1.06). Later on, one team started working on a second expansion and the other Diablo 3 (which was going to be an MMO). But all was canned...