Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Safest char

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JKS, Jul 29, 2010.

1. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

Safest char

I am considering playing LAN with my daughter.
    She is skillful enough to play with zealot at normal, but she can't play sorc or necro due to regular need to switch skills.

I was wandering what would be the easiest char for her in a LAN game.

My plan so far is that I tank for her with barb and she is a javazon with Holy freeze merc.
    Or would you think that zealot with max holy shield, DR and additional life from the barb BO be better? (the advantage of zealot is that practically she will not have to switch skills, besides zeal and holy shield, but I am a bit afraid how she will do in the mellee in Hell.

I don't want to come to the situation where she is clvl50 and dies too often just because she is a little kid and gets frustrated.

2. LiquidClear

LiquidClear IncGamers Member

Re: Safest char

What about some type of Bowzon? Guided Arrow would probably be the perfect skill, since you don't even have to aim. Plus, she can sit in the back and fire arrows with her selected skill while you and later on her valkyrie tank. Javazon would be a stronger char, but I think Bowazon could be simplier/easier.

3. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

That's a good question, I've got a nephew whom I would place in the same situation. Either a Zealot or an Avenger would be my choice for simplicity. A zeal with conviction would also work well if you did an Enchantress. That's prolly the easiest 2 player game I can think of.

4. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I can't find them at the moment. But I know I've read DR guides for barbs and palis that can essentially stand around in hell without taking any damage. I would recommend something like this if you are thinking of questing that far. They're usually pretty cheap needing primarily Safety crafts and Sol runes.

5. Thomh

Thomh IncGamers Member

I think both bowazon and jacazon would be great choices, but I`m also going to recommend a fire druid. She will get a kill skill at level 1 (Firestorm), which she can put on left click. Fissure is really powerful and could be her RMB-skill. You will have to kill all the Shamans and Fallens in Hell, but I`m sure she`ll have a blast watching hordes of monsters fall to her great AoE skills when they are not immune, which will practically say everything until act4 NM.

A Trapper would also be good, I think. She probably won`t need to Mind Blast, use Cloak of Shadows or anything else but Lightning Sentry. Death Sentry is a bonus, but I`m sure you`ll get by with just LS. It also requires very little aiming.

A bowazon and javazon has the advantage that they don`t really need a lot of skill points, though, so she can put a point in every skill just to see what it does:)

6. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

Holy freeze Zealot would be my way to go.

HF gives you enough safety and decent dmg. If you use simple runewords as Voice of Reason, Treachery and Spirit in pally shield, you can finish hell, especially when you can use barb for BO and other support skills. Leap can always help you in rough situations too :)

VoR gives you great crowd control and it looks cool with all those cold shards flying around (I dunno how old your daughter is, but those ice shards might look cool and to kids it's attractive, so that could also be nice plus).

I did same with my brother back in days when he started playing diablo, but I gave him Holy Shock pally. Enough power to finish hell with midish gear and not to micro intensive.

7. EatSleepDiablo

EatSleepDiablo IncGamers Member

Summoner. CE is nice, but really, once she summons her army, all she has to do cast Amp on occasion.

EDIT: Missed the "can't play sorc or necro due to regular need to switch skills".

8. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

I'm currently playing two people game with my cousin, and even though she's 18 she gets quite frustrated when she dies. She's playing bowazon and I think respecing to GA might be good idea.

Or is strafezon better?

--Greebo

9. Vodnik

Vodnik Banned

Well, if you can tank for her, then I say strafer/multi arrow zon w/ cleglaw gloves(or some other source of knockback.)

As long as she has a good tank, there are very few builds that are safer. Especially with Knockback.

10. TemplarRoadkill

TemplarRoadkill IncGamers Member

I suggest a trapper ( no no, not beeing biased ;) ) safe and easy to get around, difficult to master so there is also a challenge if she get familiar with the skills!

Also a feral druid would be quite safe

11. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

Strafe + Knockback + Valk + Merc + You + YourMerc = Pretty darn safe.

GA would mean less knockback, but it might be more fun to her; I don't know.

12. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

you could also tank for her. If you are a leap barb, nothing but Act Bosses and the Ancients can touch her no matter what class she is playing.

13. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I second frozzzen on frost zealot. I have one in hell doing /p8 full clears HC.

No need for holy shield, just pump dex to full block, strength to what equipment needs and rest to vitality. Mine has CtA on switch, but if you Mp her with barb you can cast the BO. VoR is nice weapon and one of you four can use Delirium for further crowd control.

Mine has a fire rogue companion with Delirium, Treachery and Faith. Sometimes I have to feed her potions because the fade hasn't triggered yet.

The build is simple: Prereqs for Zeal and Holy Freeze as fast as possible. In the mean time save the skill points, but put as many in Resist Cold as you can before Zeal and in Zeal & Resist Cold before Holy Freeze. Then max HF, Zeal, RC, Sacrifice and Salvation gets the rest. Easy peasy.

14. jamesixgun

jamesixgun IncGamers Member

+1 for Frost Zealot, and tavaritz gave a nice progression.

And I hope you both have a blast, whatever you decide to play!

15. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Think most builds have been mentioned but I have one thing to say.

If you make a Frost zealot use Holy Shield, the skill is insanely good, and I don't know why tavaritz doesn't use it, I'm not going to list the reasons why, it's pretty obvious.

16. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

The reason why I don't use it is because it is not needed. IMHO it's too much hassle to try to cast Holy Shield and if you forget your blocking is lousy. So, if you counter that forgetfullness by adding points to dex to get full block, you don't need to put any skill poiints to HS and it prereqs.

Thus you save skill points to max your freezing power by using the saved points in Salvation. You have enough life after max block, str for equip and rest to vit + BO.

And remember: the OP asked for builds that are safe and don't need to switch skills.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  17. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

+1

You could give her a medusazon setup for extra safety. Leaching is super easy with this and if you have draculs on then hell will be ok for her.

Add in FA and you're laughing - it's probably one of the least skill intensive builds.

18. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie IncGamers Member

The safest character I've ever seen on the forums here.

19. skipjack

skipjack IncGamers Member

^Definitely the safest.

As far as builds that actually leave town go, an Abott is probably the safest in existence, although it may be a bit of a hassle to collect all the necessary gear with "of Life Everlasting" and "of Amicae" suffixes.

20. essojay

essojay IncGamers Member

I actually like the Jav+Bow hybridzon. I know that means skill switching, but unlike a sorc who needs to switch between teleport and spells, or a necro between curses and spells, a hybridzon can use just jav skills, or use just bow skills, or switch whenever she gets bored with one. And we're talking 1 or 2 skills maximum on either tree (Lightning Fury and Charged Strike on the jav side, and either GA/strafe or GA/freezing on the bow side), which means you don't even really need hotkeys. Just have CS and GA on left click, and LF and Strafe on right click, and you're good to go. And no annoying armor skill you need to refresh, although it's a bit of a drag to have to restock arrows/javs.

In other words, she's extremely versatile without being complicated. She's been one of my favorite characters since 1.09.