Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Safe throne runner

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Rodrigo, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Rodrigo

Rodrigo IncGamers Member

Hello guys!

What would be a decent gear setup for a sorceress to open Baal runs safely? I've seen many runs started by people who won't open it, the game fills with people, and after awhile, everyone starts to leave because nobody's willing to go open it. I'm planning to gear my sorc especifically for that purpose.

So, I'm looking for gear suggestions. Something affordable, actually leaning to the cheap side :p My sorc is lvl 87, a blizzard MF'er, intended for max block. 85 str, 174 dex, rest in vitality. She has around 900 life, currently geared with 600 MF. Might merc with Kelpie snare, switchable for a Holy freeze one if convenient. My aim is some gear that gives decent FHR, FCR, block, resistances, PDR and absorb if possible, and everything within a low budget, as this is not going to be end game gear, just for specific situations. I'm willing to sacrifice every +skill point for safety, as I intend to just open a portal and stand in a corner doing nothing, at most holding an Insight staff. I don't have str for a Spirit shield, so Stormshield won't be an option either. Torch out of the equation, much less annihilus.

So, let's hear it! I'll appreciate any help.

A few hours later, I mix&matched some items, and I think I found something doable. Here's my setup:
    Shael'd Rockstopper
    Shael'd Vipermagi
    Belt to be discussed.
    Magefist
    Sandstorm's Trek
    Wizardspike
    Whithstand's Guard
    Rare FCR ring with resistances
    Dwarf Star
    Nokozan Relic

With this, I achieve 110 FHR, 110 FCR, 40 FBR, 87 block, 160 all res and 10 PDR. Most of it I already have, and the rest can be bought with an Um and a few pg's.
    Regarding belts, I left out String of Ears, as I don't expect to be hit much in melee. My main concern is with gloams, so, should I use Bladebuckle for 140 FHR (only 2 points short of the 142 bp), or Thundergod's vigor (which would have to be bought), for Lightning absorb? If I opt for vigor, is 86 FHR enough, or should I make the remaining 32 FHR points with charms, which I don't have either, and although plain 12 FHR gc are dirt cheap, I doubt anyone keeps them, so I'd have to find them myself?
    Now regarding shields, do they have an inherent block rate? The arreat summit shows some numbers in brackets above the shield description, but they don't mention what they mean. Round shields show [12], so if it is actually block rate, Whithstand's guard has 12+40=52 block rate, already in the 48 bp. This would free a socket for a resistance gem, to make up for any resistance that I'm lacking, because the 160 all res are averaged. If not, then I should socket it with another Shael, to reach the 48 FBR bp.

So, what do you think? Any suggestions to improve it?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

According to the gear you have, I think that there are better things to do for your sorc than Baal runs. You don't need a higher level, but better items and that can be achieved easier in a different manner. I suggest a few hundreds of Mephisto and Andariel runs, as well as a few hundreds visits to the Ancient Tunnels and Pindleskin. While gathering equipment and stuff for trading, Pindle and the Tunnels will provide the XP for a level in the 90s.

I don't have much experience with Baal runs in a party, but if she was on her own, her gear isn't good enough to get the job done. I don't remember at the moment which monsters in the Throne Room are cold immune, but the skeleton mages of wave 2 are. They will freeze your merc and together with Baal's decrep, he will become slow like a snail and die while your cold sorc cannot do a thing about it.

You need much more items with bonuses to skills, as well as FCR (63% is the minimum if you are meant to teleport to the Throne Room, 105% would be better), maximum resists and decent FHR (a Spirit shield offers 55%). As a sorc, forget blocking (except it's a melee enchantress). You better avoid melee altogether, like by teleporting or running away. A Spirit shield is worth the str investment because of its bonuses to skills, FCR, FHR, vitality and resists.

If you are doing Baal runs with a random party, don't expect much loot. A couple of players will probably use bots which pick up everything before you have even noticed it on the screen. MF is best done alone.

3. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

krischan, the original poster was specifically asking about a build to get to the throneroom and open a portal for others safely, not one capable of effectively soloing the minions. "What would be a decent gear setup for a sorceress to open Baal runs safely? I've seen many runs started by people who won't open it, the game fills with people, and after awhile, everyone starts to leave because nobody's willing to go open it. I'm planning to gear my sorc specifically for that purpose."

4. krischan

You are right, I put a bit emphasis to other issues than what what has been asked, but I addressed that as well.

You will need decent FCR, FHR and maximum resists. A Spirit shield offers bonuses to all of that. Blocking isn't needed with 105% FCR and it would cost too much investments in dexterity. You will also need good reflexes in order to avoid having the mouse pointer at the wrong place, else you will not teleport which might mean death on certain occasions.

5. Rodrigo

Rodrigo IncGamers Member

Checked. My question is, how much FHR is "decent"? I'm already at 7 frames with 86 FHR; is it worth the extra investment to achieve 6 frames at 142 FHR? How much do more experienced players use? For example, a hardcore character?

I think even a good teleporter may land, sooner or later, among a pack of doom knights or frenzytaurs. Especially with the 211 latency I have. That's when blocking will save my life. And the investment in dexterity for max block with Withstand Guard is about the same as the investment in strenght for Spirit.

6. krischan

I think 86 FHR are good enough, but a Spirit sword+shield will offer 110%. You might have resist problems then (the sword doesn't offer cold/lightning/poison res). The next breakpoint could be reached with a 24% fhr belt (or Bladebuckle which offers 30%), 10% fhr boots and/or charms.

I suggest having frozen armor active all the time, so if you are hit, the (non-cold-immune) monsters will be frozen for long enough in order to teleport away - if the fhr bonus isn't too bad.

211 ms latency is terribly bad, however. Even during my modem times from 10-15 years ago, I had less... 120 or so :)

7. NanoMist

NanoMist IncGamers Member

I'd definitely go for Tgod's over Bladebuckle if your main concern is with gloams. When teleporting, gloam lightning will all come at once, and I rather survive the volley first. 86 FHR is enough in my opinion, try to get more +life with cheap non-perfect vita charms. More life usually means less chance of getting into hit recovery, since that is how hit recovery works from non-stun attacks. Nokozan can be replaced too, the 20% FHR is just extra and fire is not a big threat while teleporting.