Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Safe sorc builds/places to mf

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Paladuck, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

Safe sorc builds/places to mf

What are the safest sorceress builds and locations to mf with? Teleporting to Mephisto in hell seems like suicide...

2. myolosolo

myolosolo IncGamers Member

I did an orb sorc, her skills are

20 orb
    20 syn
    20 mastery
    20 telekinsis
    1 to teleport
    1 to static
    1 to warmth
    5 to ES
    rest either goes to static or es(haven't decided)
    This build should be the safest

I do pindles with a good merc and meph and andy and thats about it.

I have tals set with raven and war travs and an soj
    If you don't have tals armour, get a GA and some waterwalks and you should be fine

3. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Go with upgraded Nightsmoke on your belt with that (Naj's Light Plate is the better choice, but some people may be opposed to losing 100+ mf from the armor) and doll explosions will be a joke, then points to either warmth or teleport and getting away after being mana burnt will also be a joke.

4. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Cold kills - orb or blizzard = Andy, Mausolem, Ancient Tunnels, Meph

other ones, but can't think of them at the top of my head

5. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Oh, good plan regarding the Naj's plate! Have one of those sitting on a mule and didn't think to remove the Viper I am wearing.
    I will now, as mana burn has almost killed me twice already...

6. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Mana burn is the killer for an MF sorc, no question about it. I used to do alot of Andy runs with my mediocre Orb sorc because I thought Meph would be too tough. It has now turned out that Meph himself is a breeze compared to Andy. The difference is that Meph hardly scratch My merc who tanks him, while Andy did scratch my merc quite some.

Durance is alot more open than Catacombs too, so teleporting is actually safer there I think.

Just remember, if you go with an Orb sorc, that you should max CM before the Ice bolt, because you'll get an effective 5% more dam from CM compared to the 2% from Ice Bolt. This was not the case in 1.09 because you could not bring a monster's resistance below 0 back then, while in 1.10, you can!

Good luck!

7. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

You're right for the most part doubleO, but unfortunately it's not quite this simple. I recommend that everyone read the section in the Meteorb guide on the Sorc Forum about Cold Mastery vs Ice Bolt synergy if you haven't already.

Basically, in Hell, a certain % of monsters are immune to cold, a certain % are resistant to cold (to varying degrees), and a certain % are neither resistant nor immune to cold. We will forget about the immunes for a moment since there's really nothing you can do about them (something like 30% of monsters in Hell). Enemy resistances have a floor of -100% and a cap of +95%. The -100% corresponds to a Cold Mastery slvl of 17. In the situation of going up against a monster with 0% resistance to cold (the minimum in Hell), lvl 17 Mastery effectively doubles your dmg.

I'll leave out most of the math here because it's all detailed in the guide. If you go up against a monster with 50% resistance to cold, a lvl 17 Cold Mastery would only get the monster's resistance to -50%, but still this effectively triples your dmg (200%ed) in comparison to if you had no Cold Mastery at all. If you were to have a lvl 27 Cold Mastery (-150%), the same monster's resistance would be lowered to -100% and your dmg would effectively be quadrupled (300%ed). Finally, in the extreme case of going up against DiabloClone (95% resistant) with a lvl 36 Cold Mastery (-195% cold resist, getting DC's cold resistance to -100%), your dmg is effectively increased 40-fold (3900%ed).

So as you can see, Cold Mastery beats out the Ice Bolt synergy hands down 99% of the time. The only exceptions would be:
    1. You only kill monsters with no or very little cold resistance, in which case lvl 17 Cold Mastery is sufficient (with +skills) and remaining points should be spent in Ice Bolt.
    2. You have higher than slvl 27 Cold Mastery (very few monsters have more than 50% cold resist); extra points become useless in increasing your effective dmg, so they are been better spent in Ice Bolt.

If you hunt DClone however, 36 Cold Mastery is the optimal slvl.

8. durph

durph IncGamers Member

This is going to sound like an absolutely imbecilic question but I'm sort of new to the 1.10 sorc world. Why on Earth would you max telekinesis? What does it benefit?

9. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

lvl 1 Telek = 2 mana per damage point it replaces
    lvl 16 " = 1
    Max is around .75 I hear

Telek reduces the mana taken that ES uses for absorbing damage

So say you get hit for 1000 damage

lvl 1 Telek and 50% ES is 500 life lost 1000 man lost....if you ahve less that 1000 mana you loose more life since ES will shut off!!!

with lvl 16 1000 damage is 500 life and 500 mana.....all sorcs will have more than this at high lvls 75+ or so

max ...1000 500 life, 375 mana lost

Key here is you have plenty of mana to get out of harms way not loose all mana and not be able to teleport.

This coupled with Max block is excellent

10. myolosolo

myolosolo IncGamers Member

Because it is so fun to use, just joking, it saves a bundle in mana when you get hit or in the words of blizzard

"Each point in Telekinesis makes Energy Shield's damage absorption more effective. By default, for each point of damage absorbed by Energy Shield, 2 mana points are deducted - a 200% ratio. Each hard skill point in Telekinesis makes Energy Shield 6.25% more effective. For example, with 8 points in Telekinesis, 1.5 mana points are deducted for each point of damage absorbed - a 150% ratio. With 16 points in Telekinesis, one point of damage absorbed equals one point of mana loss - a 100% ratio"

That is why.