Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sacrifice & Life Leeching: Balance

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Teeteto, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Teeteto

Teeteto IncGamers Member

Sacrifice & Life Leeching: Balance

As the topic suggests, what % of life stealing is enough to completely and safetely balance the 8% of return damage that Sacrifice causes? I mean.. is an 8% enough or I'm misunderstanding something? Cos I was about to try this "combo" for my paladin:

left-click: Sacrifice
    right-click: Holy Freeze or Holy Shock

with of course some synergies working.

Another question: what is the correct "stacking order" for the calculation of damage? I mean.. the plus-damage of Holy Freeze is applied to the weapon's one and than acts the Sacrifice % or first the Sacrifice and then the plus-damage?

Thank you!

Ps: sorry for my English..

2. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

Your question doesn't have a straight answer I'm afraid, because with Sacrifice you lose 8% of your character's total life with every attack, and the amount of life recovered by life leech depends on the physical damage you deal (and is thus determined by your weapon's damage, enhanced damage on gear/skills, and the physical resistance of the monster being attacked). Take into account that the effectiveness of life leech is nerfed in upper difficulties, to 1/2 its effect in Nightmare and 2/3 in Hell if I'm not mistaken, too...

I don't think Holy Freeze or Holy Shock are a good combination with Sacrifice, since they add elemental damage alone, that won't add to the amount of life you get back after each attack. Besides, the enhanced damage of Sacrifice only applies to physical damage, it won't modify the elemental damage granted by the aura in any way. In fact, Sacrifice isn't as effective as Zeal, despite having better numbers in terms of attack rating and damage, since it's slower even at max speed (8 frames compared to 4 for Zeal) and you lose life for every attack, even if it misses

Hope this helps

3. Teeteto

Teeteto IncGamers Member

It definetely does! Where could I find a guide with this kind of information?

4. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

AFAIK it's 8% of the dmg done to your enemy that is removed from your health.

In hell that means you need (on average) 66% life leech to offset the life lost, you need even more to gain life per hit.

5. Ichthyoid

Ichthyoid IncGamers Member

RTB is right about the 8% damage done to your enemy to yourself, but he is wrong about the life leech. In Hell, your life leach is cut by 2/3, which means you'll only need about 32% to break the percent damage to yourself. Also, if you have damage reduction on any of your armor, that is applied to your damage to self. So if you have 50% damage reduction, that means you'll only do 4% damage to yourself, and so you'll affectively only need about 24% life leech to be getting a good amount of life back.

6. Ragnarod

RTB is right, I wonder why do I rely on my memory instead of checking the FAQ I wrote from time to time! Quoted from there:

Sacrifice offers an impressive ED bonus, but at the cost of losing 8% of the damage dealt after each hit. To offset this loss of life, life leech is vital for the Martyr (Sacrifice using paladin). Take into account that leech is reduced to 1/2 in Nightmare, and 1/3 in Hell, so you’ll have a harder time compensating the life loss in the later stages of the game. Note that this life loss is reduced by Damage Reduction % gear, so you’d ideally want 50% Damage Reduction to take only 4% of the damage dealt. Same as a normal attack, Sacrifice is capped at 8 frames

Teeteto, sorry for my first misleading answer, I haven't been able to find a guide for a Sacrifice-based build, but you might want to check out this thread, it might be of some use to you. Good luck :)

7. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

I did forget about dr% reducing damage taken from Sacrifice, but you too are forgetting stuff.

Most monsters in hell have either 25, 33 or 50% damage resist, and anywhere between 33 and 100% drain efficiency. In the worst case (normal monsters, but not unleechable), you need 72% to just offset the dmg done by Sacrifice. And even in the best case at least 32% leech is necessary in hell.

8. Teeteto

Teeteto IncGamers Member

Ah, ok..

Well, what about the attack speed? Is it really slower than a normal one? Cos at the moment I'm building a Storm Ranger, and I was wondering if I could efficiently combine Holy Shock&Lightning Resist with Sacrifice& some leeching stuff. Of course in that case I'd have to abandon my bow, but.. what's the matter?

Thanks to everybody!

Ps: Don't worry Ragnarod :)

9. Ragnarod

The attack speed is the same as a normal attack, not slower. I'm not convinced that Sacrifice mixes well with the elemental damage auras, such as Holy Shock, since the damage added is the same no matter how much enhanced damage the attack skill provides. If you do decide to try it out, however, let us know how does it turn out (and if things go wrong, Sacrifice is a synergy for Zeal, so points in it won't be totally wasted anyways) :)

10. Ichthyoid

Ichthyoid IncGamers Member

Ah, yes, i forgot about drain efficiency. Well, what I've done with my own martyr is equip him with the Exile Shield and had another attack, smite. Life tap has a % chance to cast life tap. It ignores drain efficiency. So what you can do is smite until you get life tap, and then start slashing away with sacrifice. Life tap also allows you to leech from skellies, which will be invaluable when in the sewers.

Thanks for the reminder RTB.

11. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Here is a dumb ideal to throw in the mix. What about the full set. Heavens brothern. With dol runes added in you could get a life regen that would be in the 40's. Would that be enuff to offset the life removed from sac?