Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

?'s about my Slayer WW barb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jrlafrance, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

?'s about my Slayer WW barb

I just finished up normal level with my new WW barb last night. It was so much fun! I didn't use WW till I was clvl 38, and WW was slvl10. Up till then, I made my way using concentrate. When I started using WW, man it was fast going through A5. I killed the Ancients, made my way through WSK, and killed Baal not using a single healing, mana, or rejuvs! Baal was nice? and dropped me 6 rares and a pile of gold. :) Normal level completed at clvl 40.

Anyway, heres the meat of my thread. Obviously using WW takes a lot of mana. I have mana leech (only 6%) to compensate for it. In normal it is more than enough. My question here is, when mana is leeched, what is it based on? Is it based on my attack damage? Its leeching 6% of what? Do monsters have X% mana to draw from? Do all monsters have mana? Or are they like mercs, and have an endless supply?

Secondly, after killing Baal, I proceeding to the Secret Cow Level. This was sooo easy, it surpised me. I went through the whole level, killing everything except the Cow King. I noticed as I went back to pick items up, that there were an awful lot of ethereal and socketed items. I looked at my character, and realized I had under 100% MF (probably closer to 80%). That helped explain the gray (and/or grey) items. What I was wondering about though, is runes. I only found 1 (tir). I know MF has no factor on runes, so I was wondering if no MF would result in better chance of runes dropping, since you are decreasing the chance to drop a magical, rare, set, unique item? Anyone have anything to say about that logic?? :) Also, what mlvl are cows? I gained almost no XP from them. Should I continue running them, or run Baal some more?

Lastely, but definately not least, I would like to thank Kabal and all his help in getting my character to this point. I've learned alot from him, through the PvP tourney. Thanks alot Kab!! :clap:

2. goltar25

goltar25 IncGamers Member

As I understand it, mana (and life) leech work on the physical damage done to the monster. Once the physical damage is resolved, the leech % (reduced by difficulty, 1/2 in nightmare, 1/4 in hell) is applied. Every monster has a drain effectiveness on it, which is applied to the amount leeched. An obvious example, skeletons have 0% drain effectiveness, so nothing is leeched from them. (Though I believe life tap ignores this, but nothing similar for mana leech.)

As for your level, Clvl 40 is a good time to move on to nightmare, but if you want more levels first, I would suggest running Baal.

3. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Good work. I can strongly recommend a few normal Pindle runs just for levelling. WW makes mincemeat of Pindle. Or even WSK runs, take longer but more exp.

You aren't stealing the monster's mana, you are turning the damage you do to them into mana. As you have seen, mana leech is an absolute key to the WW build. You will need more in NM and Hell because the monsters start to "resist" leech, and there is also a leech penatly in higher difficulties. But, your damage will go up too, so it is not like you need 30%. Around 10% is probably fine.

You get back (leech %) * (physical damage done) * (100 - leech resistance %) mana. Big meaty monsters don't usually have much leech res, but skeletons etc have 100%. You will need to be careful whirling them (and carry some blue pots just in case) because you will not get any mana back on them.

WW owns normal cows because you don't get much big and meatier than a cow :) It is a bit harder at higher diffs.
    MF does not affect runes at all, either plus or minus. MF is only ever used when an item that can be unique/set/etc drops. Whether such an item drops is decided before MF is even looked at. Someone with 0 MF might get 1 rune and 90 white items and 9 magic items, while someone with 500 MF might get 1 rune and 54 white and 45 magic items. The MF only affects the ratio between white and magic on items that can be white or magic.

Normal cows are mlvl 28. They are not worthwhile for exp, only really charms/gems/low runes/white or grey items. Run Baal for exp or magic gear.

4. somethingsin

somethingsin IncGamers Member

whut he said, although I usually stay in normal till about 45..

about the runes: magic find has no effect whatsoever on rune drops, as the game checks to see what type of item drops (eg. armour, rune, short sword) before it checks quality (eg. unique, rare) and furthermo.... never mind, post by thrugg detected

5. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I used to level up till 45 or 50 before move into nm, but now I don't bother, since you won't have trouble in nm anyway, and by the time you finish nm you'll be at about the same level believe it or not.

6. isengart

isengart IncGamers Member

I usually stay in normal until about 50 and I do baalruns.
    about the manaleech there is nothing more to add.

but another tip for later on: one of the boss-mods that you are absolutely going to dislike is manaburn, especially on ranged attackers. So be aware to have mana potions ready to gulp down in case you will meet them. I keep concentrate on left button and ww on the right one. so even if I get mana-burned, I can go on hitting critters with conc.

7. jrlafrance

I figured out after the first few clicks, that I needed WW on the right mouse, and when mana runs out, concentrate on the left. Thanks for the advice!

8. jrlafrance

I'm sure its a technique thing, but why around, and not through. I think as long as you select past the monster, going through should be OK, right (so you don't get stuck in the middle)? I didn't know aboutthe click and hold method, I'll try it out tonight.

EDIT: I was reading a guide for WW before the squid ate some posts a couple of days ago (Friday I think). I don't remember who wrote it, but it was a seperate link, and it also compared PvM and PvP. Would anyone have a link to this (I'm sure there are many)?

9. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

10. jrlafrance