Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rwanda:example of Evil in men

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PublicEnemy, Apr 7, 2004.

1. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

Rwanda:example of Evil in men

Today is the 10 th birthday of the slaughters perpetrated in Rwanda,a country forgotten by the world since the genocides
    In 1994 from 800,000 to 1,000,000 people,mainly Tutsis,were slaughtered by another ethnic group,the Hutus;why? The aircaft of the president,who was Hutu,exploded,and this was believed to be done by Tutsis
    This is just an example which shows that more Evil comes from humans than Good;you'll never find a single example in History where Good prevails over Evil

Are men blessed or damned? Jesus would say they are blessed;history shows that they are damned
    I don't believe in mankind;i have no faith in mankind to give freedom and do Good
    I would take nothingless instead of survival if I could choose a fate for humanity

2. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Just so you know, you cannot blame just the Hutu for this, you can blame president clinton and his advisors for stalling and claiming it was not happening. Even the lowest estimates say that if we had acted after our intel told us we should have, that 100,000 people would have been saved. They got caught up in it, and no one would stop them, so although they did do it, they could have been stopped.

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Actually you can blame the UN in this case since there was a large contingent of Canadian Peacekeepers in Rwanda at the time and the UN refused to give the Canadian general authorzation to intervene despite repeated requests.

4. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

No I think you should blame the people who actually did the killing rather than the people who didn't do enough to stop them...(and I'm not a fan of the UN...)

To be fair to the Canadians, they may not have had the numbers and equipment to keep the two groups of people apart.

5. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

They could have at least saved a lot of people. :( They were better armed than most of the people doing the killing, since most of them were civilians and armed with machetes.

6. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

The United States was the reason the UN was dragging its feet, the UN council was under pressure from the United States to not act, because the US new if there was action, they would have to send troops. The Canadian General in Rwanda asked the US for support, and they basically told him what he was seeing wasnt happening.

Other African Nations even pledged troops to help, they just did not have APC's, and the US wouldnt let them use them, even though our APC's are not anything technically better than anyone elses....

7. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

I find it shameful that such an atrocity was forgotten. But hey, there is still hope. They could still make movies and write books and make the whole world feel bad for the actions of a few people which ultimately rockets them into power and wealth. Where have I seen this before hmmmm

8. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

And the Security Council cut down the number of peacekeepers that Dallaire had under his command. Even the then secretary general (BB Ghali I believe) admits that it was perhaps one of the biggest failures in his time at the UN.

Despite some major screw ups, I still see no reason to doom humanity to nothingness, PE. If you really want to look at things in the colourblind "good vs evil" way, then there have been plenty of victories for the "goodies" (it's all horribly subjective though).

9. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

thats not really what happened....though you are corrrect that there were not enough troops there...

10. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

8000 people died eachday. 5people a minute.
    How many could have been saved?

11. warding

warding Banned

What happened in Rwanda was undoubtedly very bad, but it is not the responsibility of Western nations to save foreign peoples from their own evils. The irony of it is that the political and economic disorganization of such countries are often blamed on colonialism- yet colonialism was precisely the stablizing order that these people revolted against.

12. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Like I said, even skeptical reports say about 100,000 would have been saved if the US acted when its intel, as well as the Canadian Generals intel, said to go.

13. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

Using force wasn't in the mandate..and I don't think the on-scene commander wanted to go against the mandate...now if the Security Council had been informed...

14. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

The radio stations could have atleast been blown up. The rebels would listen to the radio and hear where the tutsis are, then they would go and kill them. Kill them with knives, hoes, shovels and bare hands.

Tootsies would mass in the churches of their town thinking no one would kill them while in the house of god. And in these churches they were slaughtered. No where to run, just death. The rebels had no compation, no value for life. They killed thousands in churches, how can someone be driven to do this? What was the cause for hating the tutsis?

15. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

Ethnicity...nationalism...which originated in Europe..so its all the European's fault :teeth:

and...not trying to flame you...but....can you read what you're typing?

16. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

These were pre-European tribal hatreds that years of European rule did little to ameliorate. Blame their ancestors ancestors for inciting it. Blame the whole world, not just the US, for doing nothing.

17. Vorzheva

Vorzheva IncGamers Member

Blame whoever you want, but I think that if we had tried stopped this genocide, their hate would have been held back until it exploded, leaving us with yet another middle east. It's a no-win situation. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that other stuff.

18. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Amen to that.

19. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Actually, in the particular case of Rwanda, colonialism did play a role. The Dutch colonial rulers altered the relationship between hutus and tutsis in a way that either led to or greatly exacerbated tribal animosity.

20. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

Actually, according to what I heard on NPR yesterday the whole Hutu/Tutsi divide was established by the Europeans. IIRC the Tutsis were physically closer to the European ideal and so were favored by the European rulers.