Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rushing guide, by q_Werty

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by leetserv, Aug 31, 2006.

1. leetserv

leetserv IncGamers Member

Rushing guide, by q_Werty

Rushing guide v0.1
    By q_Werty, aka leetserv

1. Introduction

2. Normal rush
    2.1 Getting started
    2.2 Doing the acts

3. Glitch rush

4. Hints, tips and info

1. Introduction

So, i've been playing diablo for some time, and by the time i got a good enough char to rush my friends i looked around for a guide about how to rush people as fast as possible, but with grim results. There are small tidbits of information here and there, but no complete guide. So this is my attemt to fill the hole.

This guide is split in two. The first part is a normal rush, and the second part a glitch rush. The glitch rush is a lot quicker if you do it right, but requires a lot more skill and effort from the rusher, because the rushee will be level 1-5 and die from a single hit from any enemy during most of the rush.

The first part, "Normal rush" is how most people do it. This will cover most aspects of rushing, and how to do it as fast as possible. The second part "Glitch rush" isn't a complete guide, but modifications to the "Normal rush" technique so you can do it faster.

In this guide, tp means a Town Portal. wp means a Waypoint. Rusher is the high level char who is rushing, and the rushee is the low level char who is being rushed.

2. Normal rush

The normal rushing technique works like this: You get level 25 by yourself or with your rusher, because that's the lowest level you get considerable ammounts exp from baal running. This is done fastest if your rusher helps, but can easily be done on your own. After that you get rushed to baal, and baal runned until you are level 40, the minimum level to do nightmare ancients and thus nightmare baal. Then you keep baalrunning in nightmare until level 60, at which point you do hell ancients and can start baalrunning in hell on your own. The rush is complete.

It is important that the rusher has a char with teleport, good killing speed, and enough survivability to solo hell on players 2. As a quite poor player with no high runewords and such, i use two chars when rushing. My first char is a meteorb sorceress with stormshield and max block. That ensures i survive, as well as being able to kill both cold and fire immunes fast. I use a merc with the cheap insight runeword so i can telport forever without the need of potions. The merc usually dies around late nightmare, at which point i start using pots. My other char is a zealot with lightsabre and dracul's grasp gloves. This ensures i can survive through most situations, and i can kill physical immunes, although slowly. I use the zealot when faced with fire/cold dual immunes.

It is important to note that leveling your rushers is a good way to gain survivability. Some people only level high enough to equip their gear and max their main attack, but two more levels is a small ammount of life and often more damage as well. Especially if you are poor, every little bit helps. My rushers are level 87 and 80 (planning to level more on the 80.)

2.1 Getting started

Your first goal is reaching level 15. This is done by running tristram. If you have your rusher with you, have him make successive games (i trist you xx, where xx is an increasing number), tele to tristram and make a tp. Clear tristram as fast as possible and make a new game. At first you will be alone, but after 3-4 runs the games will fill up, and you will level fast. If your rusher is not with you at this point, quest through the game in a normal manner (twinked or untwinked, you can find a good twinking guide here) until you are at the end of act 2. (you might also join someone elses tristruns, they are easy to find)

After reaching level 15, your rusher will go to catacombs level 4, open a tp at the stairs, where the rushee will wait. The rusher kills andariel and both move on to act 2. Here the rusher gives the rushee his Hordadric cube. Then he teleports to maggot lair and claw viper temple and makes a tp for the rushee at each one respectively. The rushee makes the staff, and talks to drognan. After talking to drognan and jehryn, then says "Ready". If this is not done you might have to do a detour later. From here on, the rusher goes to Arcane sanctuary and makes a tp. While the rusher is searching for the summoner, the rushee makes a tp at the wp in arcane, so the rusher can open a tp and just go up and down again if he teles the wrong way. The rusher secures the area around the summoner without killing him and makes a tp. The rushee comes through and the rusher kills the summoner. After going through the portal and taking the waypoint, the next stage begins. Tomb running.

The next goal is reaching level 20. This is easily done by making "tombrun xx" games and killing things in the tombs of tal rasha with 8 players in the game. One or two runs will be sufficient. Joining or making games like this should be entirely possible, but slower, without a rusher as well.

At this point we can kill the ancients and do baalruns, but, you get very little exp until you are level 25. So we do cowruns. Just like tombruns, one or two games will suffice. After reaching level 24, do ancients, which will bump you to 25.

This is the part that's specific for a "normal" rush. From now on, the rush is a breeze. Baal until 40, rush to nightmare. Baal until 60, rush to hell. Look below for the quickest possible way of doing each act.

2.2 Doing the acts

In these steps i assume that the rushee is ready at all times to go through the portal as soon as it appears.

Act 1:
    Catacombs lv 2 waypoint -> Tele to level 4 -> Open portal at stairs -> Tele into andy, pull her down to the other side of the wall from the rushee -> Kill.

Act 2:
    If this is normal, rusher gives rushee cube. You will get another in act 3, don't worry.

Far oasis waypoint -> Tele to and clear the last room of maggot lair -> open portal -> Lost city waypoint -> Tele to the claw viper temple altar.

If there are ranged in the room, clear, then make tp. If there are none, tele to the altar, make tp, then tele to the stairs to block the monsters. Rushe can go down, get the ammy and go back up in about 2 sec, so this should not be a problem.

It is important that, before taking the waypoint to arcane, that the rushee makes the staff, talks to cain, then drognan, then jehryn. Then the rushee says "R" or "Ready" and the rusher can move on. This will let the rushee enter the palace, and will save some time later on. When the rusher is in arcane sanctuary, the rushee makes a tp at the middle, so when the rusher reaches the end of a path, if it's the wrong one, he can quickly return without having to run through town to the wp.

Arcane waypoint -> tp at summoner (stand closer than the tp when rushee comes out to prevent death) -> kill summoner -> Tele to duriel -> Make tp -> Kill.

When taking tyrael's tp back, run straight to cain, then Jehryn. Walk down the stairs and immediately make a tp, to pop up right beside Meshif. This time should be used by the rusher to do as many of the following as possible, in that order of priority: Refill potions and tomes. Tele and find the hellforge. Tele and find Durance level 3.

Act 3:
    Travincal. If softcore and glitched, make tp in the middle of the temple and have the rushee die there. If hardcore, you shouldn't be glitching. So if not glitching, kill most of the council, but save one unique. Then the rushee comes and you kill the last member. Rushee talks to cain.

Durance lv 2 waypoint -> make tp at stairs of level 3 -> kill meph -> make tp at red portal.

Act 4:
    River of flame waypoint -> tele to hellforge, clear it, make tp -> get hellforge. -> River of flame waypoint -> Tele to sanctuary -> open all seals -> almost kill diablo -> Make tp -> Kill diablo.

If softcore, it doesn't matter if the rushee dies, as long as he stays dead (no hitting esc) and the rusher sees to it that diablo dies close to the dead body.

Act 5:
    The ancients' way waypoint -> Tele to ancients -> Make tp -> Kill ancients. -> Worldstone keep lv 2 waypoint -> Tele to and kill minions and baal.

3. Glitch rush

The glitch rush is a rush involving a glitch (duh). Normally you have to pass level 20, 40 and 60 to pass ancients in normal, nightmare and hell respectively, but if the rushee is partied with another person who has done ancients and needs the baal quest, the quest is completed for the rushee as well when the other person completes it, and the rushee can move on to the next difficulty.

The only problem is that you can't do baal in hell without doing the ancients, so you have to level somewhere else. The best place for this is the Chaos Sanctuary. Even though the exp penalty for a level 1 char here is huge, even a 0.1% of the exp from a monster is a whole bunch when you only need 100 exp to level. After level 15 the leveling just goes faster and faster.

Do the rush as described in section 2.2. When you get to act 5, just quit the game. Make a new game and call it something along the lines of "Baal for quest". The rushee stands in town while the rusher clears the throne and damages baal. Once a person comes who's in the realistic level range for having killed ancients but not baal, be nice and polite, invite him, make tp, and help him kill baal. Hopefully, he needed the quest. Quit the game, disconnect, reconnect, voilá, you're on to the next difficulty. Rinse, repeat.

When you finally arrive at act 4, hell, it's time for leveling. Rushee runs around in chaos sanctuary, trying not to get killed, while the rusher kills enemies there as fast as possible. Try to get a char that can kill quick even if you are the only one killing in an 8 player game, as other low levels are sure to join. Get a hammerdin or LF javazon with infinity, and the exp will come quick.

As soon as you reach level 60, kill ancients and baalrun. The rush is done.

4. Hints, tips and info

At the beginning of a rush, the rusher should give the rushee enough gold for a tome of tp and potions for the rest of the rush. This saves some time later.

The rusher will run out of TPs at one time or another, and when he does, you will be delayed. To prevent this, two things can be done. Either buy another tome so you have 40 scrolls. That should be enough for a long time. The other option is to buy one additional scroll, as the tome and scrolls are different "skills" and when your char complains about no TPs left, there is still one in your inventory although your tome is empty.

The rusher should make a tp at every wp he visits, so the rushee can get them while waiting.

When doing arcane, you can tp up and walk to the waypoint when you reach one end. But a faster way is that the rushee makes a tp in the middle so the rusher can just go up and down again right away.

At the end of act 2, the rushee can go talk to jerhyn, then go down the stairs and tp, effectively teleporting right to meshif.

If, in act 2, the summoner accedentally dies before the rushee gets there, the rushee can't take a tp to tombs. This is solved by making a tp at the entrance, finding the orifice, and then clearing the way back so the rushee can run al the way. I think this is what spawned the myth that you need a certain level to enter tombs.

For now, this is my guide. All critique, on looks, punctuation, errors, grammar, my views or my experiences, are greatly appreciated.

- q_Werty, aka leetserv
    All content herein is © to the original writer. Copying without premission is illegal.

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Change the font. It's very hard to read.

The only quests you need are:
    Act 1 - Andy
    Act 2 - Maggot, Viper, Summoner, Duriel
    Act 3 - Council, Memphy
    Act 4 - Diablo
    Act 5 - Ancients*, Baal

*You need to be 20, 40, 60 (N, NM, Hell) to do the Ancients UNLESS you play Classic SP. Then you can convert the character to LOD.
    (I know most people are on the realms, but I felt it shoud be mentioned).

Edit: In Classic I think you only need the Act Bosses Andy, Duriel, Memphy, Diablo.

I also realize a lot of people rush for Forge, which I imagine is why you mentioned it. But if it is a free rush, don't do it.

IIRC - If I recall correctly - and I may not - you need to be level 8 to get into the tombs and 15 to get somewhere else. Help me out someone with a memory, please?

You did mention two very important points; make sure the youngster is near the Summoner and Diablo when they die and DON'T hit escape if you die.

Also when rushing someone who is a MUCH lower level than me IE 60+ levels, the youngster will not get much xp. I now rush normal with a mid-40's NM character and when they hit NM swap to an older (93) character. Trying to rush with the older character first actually held up the young character because they hit the 'need to be 8/15/20' problem.

Edit: Congrats on the sticky. The font is much easier to read.

3. leetserv

Sticky \o/

The last point about being a certain level is wrong. I've rushed a level 1 to hell several times. The rushee is almost never around when things are killed, so the exp difference from a level 40 and a level 90 rusher is small.

I will try to include the points about classic rushing and then converting the char, but i need someone with a lot of experience with it to fill me in, because i've never done it myself.

4. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

As long as you convert the character after hell andariel its oK.
    If you convert before killing hell andy, game treats it as though you're still in NM, and makes you do baal.

Classic ladder -> Xpac Ladder
    nl -> nl

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

To bring a character into hell in expansion, he must be at the beginning of act 3 in classic hell before converting him to expansion, as that would be 10 solved acts in total (classic: 4+4+2 -> beginning of act 3 hell, expansion: 5+5 -> beginning of act 1 hell).

6. jag

jag IncGamers Member

Good guide !

My only additions to this would be etiquette related.

I could go on forever about being ripped off on 'rush for forge' but thats just the nature of bnet. What I want to comment on is rushee just not keeping up.

As a rushee it is your job to be ready for portals, talk to npcs in town when needed and thats it. The rusher is either hired (being paid for service), rushing friend, or simply being a good egg and helping out people. Nothing is more annoying to a rusher than having a rushee constantly going 'brb afk' or spending alot of time on gear, skills, or trying to shop an item holding up the rush.

During a rush, us rushers are busy! I know as a rushee that it can be a bit boring sitting in town not really doing much, but guess what - the rusher cant keep you company by chatting all the time if you want to be rushed!!! Friendly chatter is fine and every rush has a different speed, but constant 'lemme see your equipment', 'whats your damage' or 'how should i do my skill points' questions will drive a rusher nearly insane. If you are getting a free rush - asking the rusher for free items is rude and should be punishable by painful death (like breaking their diablo cd and stabbing them with the sharp bits seems just). Most (some?) rushers will drop low end gear they find anyways when they get back to town if they don't need or want it.

stepping down from :soapbox: LOL

7. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

Can I do other quest like den of evil or some easier ones to solve 10 quest in total instead of rushing to act3 hell?

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

No. This only applies to the number of acts solved. You have to finish at least one quest to finish an act, but solving a quest sets a kind of flag while passing acts seems to increase a counter, else you could have the idea to solve e.g. classic Den of Evil in hell, then convert to expansion and do the quest again in expansion.

9. IntelligentX

I got the idea now, thanks krischan.
    Your advice has save me time :laugh:

10. sjw7

sjw7 IncGamers Member

Very usefull guide and thanks for taking the time to compile it for us.

I have one suggested addition though which is the usefull quests along the way that people like to get such as the socketing one. I have been rushing a few of my characters myself and that one always seems to cause me a problem for some reason. Maybe this along with a note on how to complete the plus skills quests with a rusher would make a good addition to the guide.

Anyway enough from me but thanks again for your guide.

11. leetserv

My plans for addition:

- How to complete all the "useful" quests as well, as an optional addition for the guide

- Info about rushing ettiquette, prices, how to get a rush, etc.

- Note about classic rushing

How can i edit my first post? Do i have to pm a mod?

12. ael

ael IncGamers Member

Nice guide all in all. Actualy I was thinking of writing one myself. I`ll just help ya wth a few aditions. :wink3:

You left out hammerdins, imo the best rushing chars. With enigma ofc. Also 1pt in static on any sorc can do wonders in hell baal/diablo :)

A2: The rushed char needs to talk to dragnan after the staff business is done, otherwise the guards wont let him in to see Jerhyn. Talking to dragnan after duriel is already too late.

Also maggot lair can a pain in the but for hammerdins, just tele to that fat bug in maggot lvl 3.

A3: Doing Travi: Tele here and open a tp for your rushed char. Then tele back and kill the council, he`ll get the quest.

A4: It`s usualy better to open the seals yourself, its alot faster when you dont ave to watch the low lvl char from getting roasted by Big D`s minions. After that its enaugh for the rushed char to stand just outside the pentagram where he cant see Big D and cant get whacked by the Lightning hose attack. He`ll, again, get the quest. This works if you have a char strong enaugh to tank D in hell by yourself.

You should also note in your guide that rushing is a very good way to earn runes, but most ppl just leave after a3 mephi. And there is nothing you can do about it, exept maybe arranging rushes on the forums. HF payment is no allowed on these forums but you can ask for runes not from hf instead. In bnet rushes hf is given in a4 as a first thing. After that, you should finish the rush.

A5: piece of cake. Lvl req for ancients is 20/40/60. You can do baal before lvl 25, you just wont get exp.

If you want your guide updated, send the updated versin to Dredd or Gorny, they`ll update it for you.

Nice job. :thumbsup:

13. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

A post may be edited for an hour after its creation - after that, only moderators can make changes. I don't mind clearing up typos, reformatting or adding a few odd lines here and there, but since this guide is still a work in progress and is likely to go through some major changes, it would be best to simply leave the original as is.

For the time being, your guide is fairly small, so continue to post updated versions here in this thread. If the guide grows to the point that it exceeds the character limit and requires more than one post to contain, make a new thread for it (I'll swap the stickies). Be sure to label it 1.1, 2.0, etc, so readers know which is the latest version.

14. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Leet, have a read of this from the SPF.

15. Winner

Winner IncGamers Member

really nice guide, rep

16. jallelime

jallelime IncGamers Member

Re: Rushing guide, by q_Werty

"After level 15 the leveling just goes faster and faster."

However, between 20-25 the exp gets a real setback and it goes faster doing cows or tombruns in normal.

17. IntelligentX

You know, this guide/thread is two years old already, and the information is probably no longer correct.

18. killmofasta

killmofasta IncGamers Member

This is a great idea, and saves a lot of time, except for if your teleporting, then it saves only a little time.

BUT, on USWest ladder, the one I play on: Act 2 being bugged, I have actually stood in town the whole time, and although I didnt get Darkened sun or Summoner quests, I did get the Duriel quest! Even last night, Jerlyn was out in the open. ( My staff suddenly disappeared while I was talking to Jerlyn, and it was the result of someone opening the chamber. They killed Duriel, without me, and I talked to Drogman, and Jeryln, and Meshif, and I was off to Act 3.

Reminds me of an Act 5 bug. I was in a party, and couidnt get into the WSK2 portal, because I hadent killed the Ancients. They killed Baal, and I got the equest complete, and was forced into nightmare, but only at lvl 16! I have to search for games with a normal char, then jump back, with the game name in the clipboard, and join. I am now lvl 22 or so, but it was a pain to see: "Qiest completed" instead of "you cannot complete this quest in the game, another player completed it first."

Both of these anti-rushing bugs, should effect the speed of rushing in all difficulties.

19. killmofasta

, like teleporting behind the main place in Tarvincial: At the join of the two walls of chaos sanct, it looks like an X. If you put a teleport on one side of the X, and tuck yourself behind the other, I have never been killed by diablo in the chaos sanct. I got iced a few times by a abyss knight, but not the flame wave of Diablo. The wall part protects me against that. ( Simple text Map. ( crevice for tele -> X <- crevice for tucking yourself in..) Be careful NOT to overshoot, otherwise you will walk around, into the path of the flame wave, and get toasted.

20. killmofasta

I see that this bug has been incorporated into the guide already. I want to verify, you cannot get the Baal quest in hell until your lvl 60.