Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Runs & Scaling Damage?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Lundorff, May 31, 2008.

1. Lundorff

Lundorff IncGamers Member

Runs & Scaling Damage?

Okay, someone please break it down for me; how does MF-runs work? I read about people doing Mep runs in about the same time it takes me to walk 3 screens. And the same goes for Lower Kurest Rune-Runs.

I hear people talking about "getting a good map/close to X". But doesn't the maps keep changing? Do you people (said with affection) simply remember all the maps or...?

Second question: does the damage dealt and received scale according to level? Ehh.. let me illustrate my babblings:

A level 60 barb with gear ABC goes to The Ancients' Way in NM to kill.
    A level 80 barb with the same gear, with the same skill points used and the same stats also goes to The Ancients' Way in NM to kill.

Would there be any diffence betweem the two?

2. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Re: Runs & Scaling Damage?

In SP games the map only changes when you change difficulty/MP, so good maps can be kept. This cannot be done in BNet. They are also probably teleporting

No, monster's damage is hardwired into the game, increasing the number of the players in the game (by getting people in, or the /playersX command in SP) does increase damage of monsters though, around 6% more per player iirc that thread in the stats forum

And now for some random new smilies:grouphug::pancake::xxx::spam:

3. Lundorff

Lundorff IncGamers Member

So... to do Meps runs on Bnet one would have to it the "hard way" so to speak. And without tele, it could easily take 10-15 min for each run?

And Rune-runs would of course be the same. Oh the horror lol.

4. Aien

Aien IncGamers Member

Well... yeah, folks on bnet have to magic find "the hard way," but it's not so hard. Conveniently, there are rules that certain "random" maps follow when generated that help one find the exit to the next level. When people say they got a "good map," it means they got a random map where they were able to find the next level quickly by applying the rules. Mephisto's Durance and the Countess's tower both have rules you can follow which should make both of those runs take far less than 10-15 minutes to complete, though I would heavily recommend teleport.

There's another similar thread going now in the newcomer forum here http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=662497. I'd check that and certainly recommend reading the link Corrupted provided as it's very helpful on the matter. In fact, easily one of the most important guides I've read regarding DII.

Have fun.

5. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

if it take 10-15 minutes just to run to mephisto, it isn't worth it. You will have much better results in running 5 minutes to the pit and kill there for 10 minutes than you will have by a single mephisto run.

6. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

The clvl is a factor in the chance to hit formula, so yes there will be a difference because of that.

Except for that I can't come up with anything other then the obvious "per clvl mods" such as deadly strike from highlords etc, difference in OW damage, small life/mana/stamina difference.

7. Voorhees

Voorhees IncGamers Member

Meph isn't the best person to run without tele. His drops are limited and only pay off over time with fast running. If you have to walk, you might as well walk a higher level area and kill everything on the way, say either walk to Diablo or Baal. These guys can drop way better than Meph, and so can everything on the way to them. So if you have to walk, forget Meph. Just my opinion.
    Also, any damage multiplier from multi-player games is negligible for the most part. The thing that really effects the run is that the monsters will get a massive boost in life in higher populated games. This can make someone who's mildly difficult to solo a real pain in the butt. If you're not really getting scratched on your runs then try a full game. If your barely pulling it off solo, then forget full game runs.