Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

runs and items questions

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by freefree, Oct 14, 2006.

1. freefree

freefree IncGamers Member

runs and items questions

Im currently stuck running NM Meph (Diablo when I do rushes) until I find better gear for my merc or a mal to finish my sanctuary. So I was wandering what should I be looking for to trade with. So far the only thing remotely good I've found is saracens chance, bartuc's, and the meat scrapper wich my merc is using right now.

and Also what could a poor meteorb like my self use to survive Hell Meph, or some strategies to surviving.

I and my merc are currently lvl83.
    gear:
    Shako with pTopaz
    Enigma
    Tals orb 1/2/1 (I have a flail i plan to make hoto in though, but thats a ways off)
    Milbragas Kitesheild (I haven't found any sheilds other than sigs)
    Arachnid mesh
    2x soj
    rare ammy with fire and psn resist and 21% mf

my merc uses:
    stealskull (i really want andariels with a um in it)
    the meat scrapper (works but it doesn't do enough damage to keep him alive)
    shaftstop (I dont know what my best way to go here is, his resist are all 48, and lit is 67)

I think if my merc could stay alive i could actually run hell meph, but as is now, it seems as I finish staticing him and start with meteors or FO my merc dies and i get wacked by that snowball.

2. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Wow...that's pretty godly gear for someone who can't run Hell meph. I ran Hell meph in the past with really, really crappy gear. I lucked out and had someone give me a 20 DR vamp gaze, and I found a shaftstop, so I gave my mercs that so he can tank Meph decently when fed potions. I whittled down meph's life with orb and fireball, and made tirps back to town when necessary to save the merc. Then, when meph is lamost dead, i hea dback to town to switch on the MF gear (lots of ptopazes involved).

You should just play safely, put on some gear to help against cold (ravenfrots, maybe snowclash), and then right befor ekilling og back to town and switch.

3. freefree

i don't know, my mercs life just vanishes and no matter how many pots i give him it just doesn't keep him alive, and im not quick enough with the tps to get out of there, eventually i run out of money anyways, my mer cost 50k each time

any tips on what items are good in NM meph?

4. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Just use the moat trick and keep the merc dead. Also, it isn't worth it running back to town to retrieve MF gear. It takes too much time, and increasing the MF by a couple of hundred % isn't going to greatly alter the chance of getting a set or unique item. Better to spend that time doing more runs, or running another target, like Andariel. Keeping MF gear on switch (e.g. Gull/Rhyme) is a good tactic and takes only a moment to switch before killing Meph.

If you are seriously struggling with Hell Meph, go and run NM Meph. His drops are not as good as Hell Meph, and you'll have to do many more runs to get what you are looking for, but if you are persistent, it will pay off. NM Meph can drop items like Shaftstop, Skullder's Ire, Lidless Wall, Moser's, SoJ (pray), etc.

5. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

This is NM Meph he is struggling with..

6. FrostBurn

Post #2 gave me the idea he was running Hell Meph.

In any case, same rule applies. Use the moat trick. Having said that, it looks like he's got most of the gear he can get from NM Meph. Other than a Moser's... which he can also get for a few pgems.

7. sunflowersmooth

sunflowersmooth IncGamers Member

That gear is strangely godly.

8. FrostBurn

My guess is that it is a combination of giveaways, trades, and self-found.

9. Are

Are IncGamers Member

To keep your Merc alive against Hell Meph, I've found that items with %reduced damage work well. My Merc runs around with Vampire Gaze, but Rockstopper should also do the trick. Also, keep his resistances at near-max if possible (Duriel's Shell should do that for you once you find it).

10. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

The other reason I used to go back to town to switch gear was because right about the time meph is kind of close to dying, I run out of pots for my merc and I need to pull him back to Ormus to save him anyways, so...

11. freefree

yes the gear was mostly giveaway, and bought with many mid runes. and no Frostburn was right its Hell meph that i struggle with thats why I'm running NM meph. but I just finished my Sanctuary and can finally tele to him safely but im have to tp back to down to rescue my merc from the poison.

I'm finding people are very stingy about trading aswell, Whats a good armor with resists for my merc, as id rather he survived, I want to start doing Hell rushes in the future, for better runes.

also whats the moat trick, I'll have to make a search for that. but from what it sounds like I think those council members will have the best of me.

12. FrostBurn

Moat Trick.

Once you get the hang of the moat trick, I doubt you'll care if your merc is dead. But yes, the tricky bit is dealing with the council members. If you are doing runs solo, the council members will be weak and should die easily to your spells.

If you must have a merc to tank Meph, then give him a Kelpie Snare (slows monsters by 75%), Shaftstop socketed with an Um rune, and Vampire Gaze socketed with an Um rune. It's not cheap, but mercs don't really survive against Meph unless they have 50% PDR and near max resists.

13. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

I gotta say it - drop all the runeword stuff and grab yourself a tal set (the whole thing). Your resists and damage will go up. It looks to me like resists may be a big problem for you (i suppose sancuary helps). You are also lacking FCR gear it look like. Resists and FCR are all you need to make a good tele run to meph. Once you're there an he's almost dead, then you can worry about MF.

Full Tal set + magefists + P spirit. This will get you to 105% FCR and have some pretty good resists and damage. If you can't get a perfect spirit, then add in a FCR ring with some good mods.

I'd keep the SOJ's if you play in a lot of big group games, but if you're playing solo you probably don't need the skill or mana boost - swap it out for a nagel ring for more MF. I'd grab a pair of war trav's for the MF also.