Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Running.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Steve_Kow, May 5, 2005.

1. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Running.

I've been lifting weights for years, but to be honest I've neglected the cardiovascular side of fitness. So last Sunday I decided to take up running, that first night I managed about 1/4 mile running and then finished the course by walking. The really fun thing about starting a running program--when you haven't done it in so long--is that you can see a lot of progress very quickly. Tonight I was able to run a full mile of my 2 mile course before I needed to slow down and walk.

Any other runners in here?

2. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

I can run the 13 minute mile.

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I hate running. Too high impact. But I try to do it anyways because otherwise I'd get fat. I still feel it in my knees and ankles and thighs no matter how much I do it. I think I'm too heavy to run. I much more prefer intense weight lifting.

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I do a bit of running. Although as school takes over more and more the amount of running I've done has gone waaaaay down. Yeah, when I started running, I made more progress faster doing that than I have in just about any other physical activity. It's lots of fun, the key is just making sure you do it.

5. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I used to run but now I have a bad hip.....I am sure that I can give you some advice if you need it. Best tip: get some good shoes and stretch before and after.

6. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Track team in high school for 4-years. My event was the mile but i wasn't too good, my best time was 5:34.

The longest i ever ran was 8 miles non-stop or 9 miles with breaks in one day.

I still run 2~6 miles every couple of weeks because i feel guilty for smoking pot everyday.

7. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

All this week I've been running in my "regular" shoes--no padding at all. Since I think I'll give this running thing a shot long term, I think a good pair of running shoes is worth the investment.

8. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

i run 5 miles twice a week but don't really consider myself a runner. my roommate is pretty serious though. she just did the houston marathon in 3:28

9. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

Used to be a good runner and did it a lot. 5:50-ish mile i think and 21 min 5K. Nothing great but those were good times for my age at the time. I don't do as much running since i can only run in running shoes (which i don't have at the moment) since if i don't my back hurts like hell for days. Soccer + Running = Crappy back by 18. damn active lifestlye.

10. AeroJonesy

Running shoes are definitely worth the money if running is something you want to do. I have Nike Air Pegasus shoes that I run in. They aren't terribly expensive (some running shoes are ridiculous), they are nice and lightweight, and provide good support. The kind of shoe totally depends on your foot type and how you run. If you really want to be serious about shoes, go to a running shoe store, and they'll probably have a treadmill you can run on, so they can see how you run and help find shoes that will work best for you.

11. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

i don't run enough...about 2 1/2 miles per week if that

oh well, the fat turd gets to throw shotput and lift ^^

but really, my main problem is my knees, which are always inflammed and hurting because of a disallignment and muscle power imbalance (and i used to have a childhood disease i can't spell out), all basically equating to that i'm obese (240 lbs.)

12. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

Running is a good exercise but to spice it up a bit i usually do something fun that involves a lot of running/cardio. I play ult frisbee every thurs for about 2.5 hours and then there are just times where i just throw the frisbee around/practice and then theres baseball, although that doesn't involve as much running as ult frisbee.

13. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i used to run in high school and stuff. i dont think ill ever run again, unless its from the cops.

14. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Good shoes, not running on hard surfaces and lots of stretching are a must.

15. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

wooties ultimate frisbee !! hello fellow, where r u from / what s your team ? i play whit freespeed from basel, switzerland, we are second in swiss nationals :clap:

i have training 3 times a week, so overall i run around for 6-9 hours a week... still gettting fat :( but i can not motivate meself to run around whibout some motivation in form of a team game, just jogging gives me the creeps

16. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I run 5-6 days a week. I alternate between running 3 miles steadily, and running 2 miles sprinting/walking. I also jump rope! It's the coolest, seriously; I do it with 3lb. ankle weights. I also run up and down the stairs in my apartment building with the ankle weights on. My best mile is just about 5:50, which is good for me, I'm 6'4" 210 lbs.

17. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

I used to run when I was practicing for paintball...go figure.

I like to do activities that involve running. Like playing basketball. Just running gets me bored quickly.

18. Phil

Phil IncGamers Member

I was on the track team all through high school but I didnt become a really hardcore runner until I left. I was up to about 22-23 miles(3 or 4 times a week) until my surgery in the middle of March and now im down to 8-12 miles depending on my energy level but its coming back quickly.

phil

19. AeroJonesy

I just got back from a run! Funny, I don't think I enjoy the running, I think I just enjoy being outside, and taking in a nice day. I never really run when it's cold, rainy, or snowy. But when it's 65 and sunny, I have to get outside.

20. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

Im not really on a team or anything, although im sure we are good since most of the people i play with are the Ga Tech frisbee team and i heard we were suppose to be decent. I just play with a buncha guys that get together and have nothing better to do. Most of time we play alright :)