Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Running the pit.

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by ThunderMaul, Mar 11, 2004.

1. ThunderMaul

ThunderMaul IncGamers Member

Running the pit.

Sorry, but I haven't played d2 or frequented the forums in a few months. Where is this pit you are talking about?

2. treldonis

treldonis IncGamers Member

It's located in act one at the tamoe highlands.

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

It is used for it's combination of MFing and good exp.

The chance to find things there is not terribly big, you can do many pit runs without ever finding a thing. However, when you find something, there is the chance of it being godly. If purely for mfing, it is moreso for the player who already have everything mephi can drop in multiples and now just want to find the highest treasure class items there are.

If you still are happy with shaftshops, skullders, gazes, wartravelers, goreriders, arreats, hoz shields etc, then you can better do mephi runs.

There are many discussions about mephi vs pit, but it's about what goals you have. pit can drop better stuff, mephi drops much more stuff (per time).

pit runs are best done in 8 player games. To do so, you need characters that can kill even tough monsters fast and in masses. amazons and hammerdins are the best for this i think. other populars are skelliemancers and dual tree sorces. This is of course the barb forum though.... Don't think any barb can get even close to those other guys in killing speed. Also does he have a harder time reaching high mf. Realise in the pits, you cannot change to dual ali baba for the last hit. You need permanent mf and still remain strong.

4. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

5. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

If you're one of the rare few with an ethereal Zod'ed Tomb Reaver, then you can kill quickly in the Pits. That is, assuming you bump your AR to 10k or so.

Then you can use Skullder's and a Shako (or if you prefer, Stealskull), and generally have plenty of MF without being in too dire fear of death.

6. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

Yeah eth botd.... thought about that a bit. and indeed, that makes a barb kill well. but i think on ladder there are very few people who have that, and those that do are busy discovering the next rune dupe instead of mfing.

and for the MF, i play hardcore ladder. i dont think i would like to take a shieldless barb in the field with an MF armor.

7. hittitian

hittitian IncGamers Member

What I've found is that barbs could be very productive there in combination with their find item skill.

Of course, if you are planning to kill champs and unique monsters in the pit, sorce might be a lot more efficient, and definitely a big shot drops from those monsters. But, normal monsters drop as well bunch of ethereal sorcketed elites, charms, runes, and sometimes decent magic items. This becomes more significant when barbs use find items skill (I personally wasted my +12 skill points there but don't regret it). I can't even remember how many ethe great polaxes, colossus blades, berserker axes, socketed elite armors, and weapons there. It's like playing 1.09 cows for finding just superior socketed elites with the better chance of ethereal and multiple sockets. I still remember my barb horked a eth cruel great polaxe (+700ish max dmg), for my low lev might merc. Besides, my barbs horks stuff that I never expected from normal monsters (leviathan, trang's helm, and etc).

In addition, Full MF geared barbs with +85 levels and good hps are very unlikely to die there whereas full MF geared sorces with same levels would have much higher risk because of those pesky arrows from archers triggering amplifed dmg everywhere. Dying in hell around level +85 should not be a good experience regardless whether you play soft or hardcore.

8. Sopper

Sopper IncGamers Member

My barb is doing just fine in the Pit..
    Not very high MF, but horking with 2 baba's on switch is still amazing.

Set-up:
    IK helm, gloves, belt and boots (high defense, nice mods and VERY nice Atr boost)(113% MF)
    Upgraded 15xx defense Skulders
    30% Mara's
    20/236 Raven
    5% Ml, 8% LL, 1xx Atr, resists, rare ring
    463% ed, 40 ias, 1xx Atr, 9% ML rare balrog blade (321-668 two hand)
    Defiance merc with eth stone armour (28xx defense) eth stealskull and the reapers toll....

We never die, and horking pays off :thumbsup:

(On ladder btw)

9. ThunderMaul

ThunderMaul IncGamers Member

Ooh thanks for the tips guys.