Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Running Shoe Research

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KiL, Oct 20, 2006.

1. KiL

KiL IncGamers Member

Running Shoe Research

Hi all,
    I am in dire need of a new pair of running shoes because I have been using the same ones since I ran Cross Country in high school, and these babies are pretty done-up. I rolled out to the Foot Locker today and realized I don't even know how a sweet pair is supposed to feel like anymore.

I tend to run on both wooded trails and asphalt - I pretty much loathe the track - so I need a versitile shoe. My foot is rather narrow and has mid-to-high arches, hence I like a shoe with decent ankle support and cushioning. Lightness and air-flow are a plus, but durability outweighs those attributes.

My current pair are Mizuno's (which I like), and today I tried on some New Balance that fit better than the Nike's. Again, I'm not quite ready to throw down close to 100 bucks on a sub-par pair of shoes I'm going to using quite a bit.

So if any one has some experience in this area, I would much appreciate some advice.

2. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Paying money for "good" shoes is a waste of time. Run barefoot!

But no, I have a pair of New Balances. They're good enough for me, and I generally run ~3 miles a day on the nearest trail (wooded).

3. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Nike Frees are the way to go, i have a pair.
    There extremely flexible and light, feels like your running barefoot.
    I bought mine for AUD$160.

4. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Holy god. That's a damn lot of money for a shoe. How serious are you into running? If you're willing to spend over $100, you might want to ignore me...I was working on the assumption that you wanted shoes for...ya know...running...not...god, what's gonna make a damn pair of shoes worth $100+? Jeez...

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

My shoes always collapse at the heel, I end up with the plastic underneath coming through. That's annoying. I'm pretty rough on my shoes, I run everywhere.

6. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Mizuno is one of the best out there.

New Balance is also quality, and I've heard Brooks can be good, if you get the right pair for your foot shape.

IMHO, Nike is always way overpriced, and their quality is not nearly as good as Mizuno, at least for running. Especially Shocks. I hate thos gimmicky things.

7. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Your primary concern with any shoe is fit, it could be a million dollar brand name shoe, but if it does not fit, you will suffer everyday. Your secondary concern is quality/durability since you will be using these shoes on a regular basis. Try on a bunch of different brands, and go with the best fit from a decent brand.

8. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

Go to a running shop. Not a sports shop but a dedicated store that sells running equipment. They should be staffed by runners who have a lot of experience and training in identifying which type of shoe is best for you.

They will (or should) ask you what you will be doing, how much you run and what your goals are.

They will (or should) then get you to try on a pair of 'neutral' shoes and get you to run up and down outside the shop so they can see your running style.

Then they will try different shows based on your running style and the arches in your feet and so on to find a pair that is right for you.

Reccommending specific brands is useless if someone is doing a lot of running as there is so much variety in what people need from shoes and choosing a show with support ideal for one person could result in another person ending up with really quite bad injuries.

Go to a running shop and find the show that is right for you, not right for someone else.

My shoes cost me £80 (~160US$), but I run 8 miles every couple of days - bad shows = pain. £80 and no pain = good.

9. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Avoid Nike running shoes like the plague. I used to work at a store that sold running shoes and we had a pediatrist come into the store and strongly recommend that we steer people away from Nike because they aren't particularly good for your feet.

10. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

11. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

No kidding, eh?

If you didn't, we wouldn't believe you when saying you even go anywhere.

12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

By far the best advice. Everyone has different feet, so everyone will have a different experience with the same pair of shoes. It's like saying you're going out to buy clothes and asking everyone what size they wear in order to figure out what size you should wear, when you really just need to measure yourself.

One caveat, shoes in running stores can be a little more expensive that at other shoe outlets. But after you figure out what you need, you can get it elsewhere. Some really nice running stores will put you on a treadmill and video tape you while you run to figure out how your feet move, and make recommendations from there.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Running reduces the time I'm somewhere other than in front of my computer.

14. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Run to the fridge, run to the bathroom, run to the border