Running Nihlathak in HC

trekdanne

Diabloii.Net Member
Running Nihlathak in HC

Hi,
Whats your opinion? Is it posssible to run Nihlathak in HC, if so, what build and gear would be recomended.

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
Of course it's possible. How else would people get D-Keys to run the ubers?

You need damage reduction to survive the snakes, ~25 and up will do. Not the percent kind.
And you need about 1300 life to survive CE's. Also doing it in an empty game is helpful for keeping the CE damage down.
A Natures Peace ring will do you wonders by making it impossible for Nihlathak to set off multiple CE's in a row, and it comes with PDR as well! bonus!

-hps

turnips

Diabloii.Net Member
Lit sorc or a zerk/conc barb with enigma make running him a piece of cake. I've never tried the barb method but with my lit sorc I just tele to his area and find a relatively empty spot, target nil with lightning and hose him. If he's lit immune then I stay back a bit and chain lit everything else and then let my merc go in for the kill. One thing you've got to do is wear nature's peace (as hp mentioned) and make sure you get the kills; it doesn't rest the monsters if your merc gets the kill.

wakiki

Diabloii.Net Member
So Nihl doesn't dish out 8 million damage CE's in a four screen area anymore?

I haven't played since 1,09 so I don't know about these things.

Is there a place on DiabloII.net or any other site that comprehensively lists the differences between 1.09, 1.10, and 1.11? Blizzard patch logs, while helpful, don't go in depth enough.

If it's a site other than diabloii.net or arreat summit and you feel you can't write it out, send me a PM please =]

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
From personal experience, his CE is about the same now as it was in 1.09. Back then I used to run him with an MF Barb for small charms to cube (trying to get insane elemental damage small charms). Now I run him for D keys. The only glaring difference is the poison vipers.

WrongdayJ

Diabloii.Net Member
Superman had Lex Luthor, Batman had the Joker, I have Nilathak.

I run that sorry son-of-a @#$%& with a Frost Zealot. It's the only way I can keep the CE's to a minimum (See the 'stupid death' thread for more info on why I hate him).

Hp_Sauce is right. . .try to get gear with alot of Damage Reduction. I like the string of ears belt, and there are some other items out there as well that help alot.

Hope this helps.

BongoFury

Diabloii.Net Member
I like a Trapper for running Nilly. Your merc and Shadow do the tanking, MB and CoS add a safety factor, and Death Sentry lets you win the CE battle. In fact I cast the DS's ahead of me so 9/10 I never even see Nilly.

cynicalcat1

Diabloii.Net Member
i use my summoner necro, except for the damn snakes, piece of cake.i get close enough to amp, then ce all the way up the line and bam, he dies.just wish he would drop more keys.:sad2:

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
I used an LF Javazon. Run into the room just far enough to see all his little monsters, cast Decoy, LF, LF, LF, LF, by this time everything that moved was dead, and if he somehow survived that then I would just CS, CS.

I had a Natures Peace and I think it (or some form of Monsters Rest in Peace) really is quite important for this method, otherwise he would have a whole **** load of bodies to pop.

-hps

WrongdayJ

Diabloii.Net Member
Pindle?! :shocked:

Oh yea, I remember him. He's that guy on Nilathaks porch that everyone says can drop all this stuff that Baal can't.

Only he never does.

I ran him about seventeen quadzillion times and the best thing I ever got in a 8 player game with 500MF was a lenymo belt. . .once. Some folks swear by Pindleskin. . .but personally, never got squat off him.

That's why (even though I hate that floor-flushin' no good bum) I run Nilathak. Better drops, but more dangerous.

Halas

Diabloii.Net Member
Hp_Sauce is right. . .try to get gear with alot of Damage Reduction. I like the string of ears belt, and there are some other items out there as well that help alot.

Hope this helps.
This will not help you vs. the vipers when tele'ing or running to nith. What you need is this:

Damage Reduced by 10-25
Suffix: Everlasting
Item Type: Amulets, Circlets

Just get an ammy and nature's peace ring:

Prevents Monster Healing
Slain Monsters Rest in Peace [can't be resurrected/raised/exploded]
Damage Reduced by (7-11)
Poison Resist +(20-30)%
Level 5 Oak Sage (27 Charges)

and you should be all set. You could also 'sol' your gear if you wanted to be super safe. enjoy~

WrongdayJ

Diabloii.Net Member
Halas- I agree.

I have a set-up that I use just for Nilathak. I use a similar set-up when I run Radament or any boss that can revive (like the second group that Baal summons) I never run Nilathak w/out SOMETHING that eliminates or severely hampers his CE ability. The shattered corpses from my cold damage usually are enough to get me by.

d00m2k

Diabloii.Net Member
Nothing is as fast as my barb. And I haven't found anything as safe. And, my gear is only so-so. I use enigma, wiz spike to tele (+ trangs gloves + bit more FCR). I have no straight damage reduction and 40% poison resist. The snakes have never bothered me (although my merc goes down in a second).

I get to the room, leap on top of Nih, howl a couple times. Leap seperates me from my insight merc so Im not near the bodies he produces, and howl sends most of the mobs running away. I switch to my sword, 4 or 5 beserks and Nih is dead. The entire process, from start of game to killing Nih is about 30 seconds.

I have about 40% DR, 4K health, 85 fire resist + dwarf star. CE's barely touch me, even with amp on me.