Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Running nightmare Hellforge?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Andrew, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Running nightmare Hellforge?

Anyone every tried this? Uber twink and plan out a character, then get to nightmare hellforge as soon as possible (could be much faster with a rush) to collect runes? I'd think possible candidates would be a raven claw zon, dentist necro, skelliemancer?

If reaching nightmare act 4 can be done in ~5 hours, it could potentially pay off quite well, with runes up to UM! i dont think running the countess for 5 hours will get you an Um.. lol.

Here's a plan with a rusher:
    1.Open tp to catacombs, get rusher to teleport around and find the way down (while you try and gain some levels), Kill andariel, move to act 2
    2.try and gain more levels while rusher looks for the pieces, then kill summoner, kill duriel, go to act 3.
    3.kill council members, kill mephisto, grab soulstone, go act 4.
    4.Kill diablo, act 5!
    5.Find somewhere to level to 20 (/players 8 flayer jungle?), then kill ancients, kill baal, on to nightmare
    6. repeat steps 1-3
    7. smack hellforge... wa la =D.

Think about it... if it can be done in... say... 2 hours, then you and a friend could take turns rushing and hitting, each taking the rune that comes out when it's his/her turn... :lol: Is this and insane idea?

2. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Well if you are rushing a character, why not just take it all the way to Hell Hellforge where you can get up to a Gul rune. This has been discussed and heavily considered already, it's just up to you on whether you have the patience for it and whether you think it's a bit too cheesy or not. Personally, if you have the patience to do it, then I say go for it.

3. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

well, it's not really insane but I still think that the same two hours would be much better spent in hell difficulty RoF/CS runs...

Top 5 reasons:
    Hephasto - one of the best chances to drop a zod
    Wraith class monsters - increased chance to drop runes (up to zod in that area)
    Alvl85 - Good MF area too :)
    Bunch of superuniques - even more chances of items
    Experience :D

4. *PoTaTo FuI*

*PoTaTo FuI* IncGamers Member

I agree with both Borlag and Andrew. It's up to you to decide what you want to do. As they both said, if you want to go for it.

-FuI

5. Abroz

Abroz IncGamers Member

Can you get more runes from the Hellforge after you smash the soulstone or does Hephasto drop runes with a higher probability?

6. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

nope, and Hephasto has real low chance of dropping runes just that he has still one of the best chances to drop the best ones...

Then again, that's still in the same propability range than winning a lottery...

7. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Well, rushing to hell would be slightly more difficult.. lol, as you will have to level a char to 40 before you can take on nightmare ancients, and hell is... well, HELL.. lol, still dangerous and potential snags can slow the rush to a crawl... That's why i suggested Nightmare runs... I'm really tempted to try this, and i jsut might, but i gotta wait for my friend to replace his fried adsl modem... lol. Timing it will be crucial. If i can do it in less than 2 hours, i'd say it's worth it. Besides, I also get a free socketing quest! =D. I have many many uniques i could use that quest on... :drool:

8. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

A good, experienced rusher can get you to NM Hellforge in about half an hour, maybe less.

9. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

As for best chance to drop a Zod Hephasto might be the best. But any monster can drop a Zod for the Foul Crow Act 1 Hell to the end of the game.

10. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

And once again, you can do ~30 hell Countess runs in same amount of time...

11. agrégatif

agrégatif IncGamers Member

I don't think any monster can drop Zod: monsters in Tal Rasha's Tomb for exemple can't. The area has to be of really high level.
    I've just completed the Hellforge quest and cleaned the RoF in Hell with my Hammerdin on p8 and as usual (I must have cleared it maybe 5 or 6 times on various players setting) my rune drops are really crappy (not on the Hellforge which gave me Fal but on the monsters. I usually finish the run with one low level rune; this time a Nef). I can't see how this should be more rewarding than clearing the Durance of Hate with all the chests which on a high players setting can drop a lot of items and easily providing thus a lot of chance for a rune drop (maybe not Zod but I think very high anyway). It is my experience that my best runes were dropped from chests (Ohm in durance and gul in the arcane sanctuary ).

And if you want items it's also a crappy place with all those monsters that never drop.
    Tal's Tomb is the best place for runes in my opinion (see atma's dropcalc) with lots of urns and chests and apparitions and the monsters drop up to Cham. But I'm getting OT... Sorry...

12. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

81+ will do. In fact you can get away with lower if you just consider boss-packs (Countess' minions are level 82, so they can drop Zod, even though Countess herself can't!).

Hmm. The monsters you're referring to are the ever-so-annoying ones that get spawned in - but with an area-of-effect type attack you should be able to breeze through them (in theory, of course). Optionally you can also move on to the Chaos Sanctuary, which always has Storm Casters (who drop as Wraith-types, making them a good target).

As to the Hellforge itself... The quest has a reasonable chance to spit out decent runes, and is the only reliable source of mid-high runes. But... personally I'd spend time on gaining experience with a 'proper' character rather than trying to get through the game at top-speed for a chance at a couple of half-decent runes. Whatever you want to do though :)

13. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

wow.. really? 30 minutes?

hmmm... maybe 1 hour.. but 30 minutes, maybe with maphack... lol.

Anyways, Running countess for half an hour, 1 hour even, won't quarantee you a mid-high level rune, while hell forge can... That's why I was considering it =D. Anyways, it will be quite an achievement for me, if i can successfully rush someone to act 4 nightmare in less than an hour. So i'll give it a try, when my friends modem is ready.

14. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Again, I think that in the time it would take you to rush to act 4 NM, you could run Hell Countess and at least get enough runes to cube to the average rune you would get from the Hellforge... I think only Hell Hellforge would be worth running b/c you will see a lot of Mal's, Ist's and Gul's which would take a heck of a lot more Countess running to get to than if you rushed to Hell Hellforge.

15. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I ran Tal's only 5 times and no luck, I got a Ko questing somewhere in Act1, Hell. I think it may be time to organize a Rune Race tournament. I can't do it with my thesis but I'd love to see the results. I got a SoJ from Hephisto as well so maybe this guy ain't bad.

16. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

i don't know about y'all, but i find a lot of ios, puls, and fals from the hell Hellforge... certianly not a lot of guls though... :rant:

17. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Yep, that is very true.

I have never seen the point of rushing to Hellforge, it is easier and faster to get same runes from Countess. Ok, you can get Gul from Hellforge, but how many times you have to do that for it? How many Countess runs you can do in same amount of time?

I bet Countess is better

18. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

If I remember right, there's 16 runes for the game to choose from when it determines the hellforge drop. Each rune has the same possibility, which means that every 16th run should statistically give you one. 32 hours or rushing for the rune, doesn't sound bad to me, considering you get other mid-high level runes aswell.

But 32 hours of countess running or RoF/CS running means thousands of high level critters killed, I'm no stats wiz, but I'd rather game there where it's possible to get even greater rewards, not to forget the items and exp you'd get.

19. halo11

halo11 IncGamers Member

Hell Hellforge drops 11 runes, from Hel to Gul... That's 3.6 rushes on average to get Mal, Ist or Gul. Overall, it's definitely better than the Countess if you can rush there in a couple hours.