Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Running nightmare for runes?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Andrew, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Running nightmare for runes?

Ehehhe... Is it feasable to run nightmare for runes? Say, take a big bad straferzon down to river of flame nightmare at player 8 and clear everything?

I tried running hell reiver of flame with my hammerdin, and even with his uber gear and damage, it was too slow for my liking (at players 8)

So.. anyone can tell me what's the highest rune drop at nightmare river of flame? I'm targetting that area for the flying things that have a hugher chance of dropping runes. Looking to increase my collection of Puls... don't have enough of them. need upgrades!!!! :lol:

2. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

wait and Shade knows.

I think you can get Um from NM.

3. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Ok, here is some information for you:

1 : 320117 Ist Rune River of Flame (Hephasto)

1 : 408536 Um Rune River of Flame (regular Urdar)

1 : 103808 Um Rune River of Flame (regular Strangler)

Those are the highest runes they can drop (all chances at /players 8)

I guess other regular monsters in RoF (Maggots, Grotesques etc) have same chance that Urdars have

For comparison here is the chances of those dropping from hell Countess (/players 1):

1 : 2505 Ist Rune Tower Cellar Level 5

1 : 1434 Um Rune Tower Cellar Level 5

I guess you don't have to think about running nm RoF anymore ;)

(I used ATMA dropcalc for calculating chances)

4. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

atma say countress in hell is best for find pul rune and council if you kill them quicly

5. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot for the info...

Hell countess is much harder to get to though, and a whole lot mroe dangerous. Nightmare river of flame can be cleared so much more quickly... So to me, It's quite a balance.

Maybe if i have enigma on my hammerdin... lol. sigh. :grrr:

6. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

:scratch:

Countess isn't that dangerous imo...and clearing nm River of Flame isn't that fast, I can easily do few Countess run consuming as much time as one nm RoF run does. Use sorc for Countess, teleport quickly through the Tower and kill her. It is not hard if you have merc tanking. And just have a look at runedrop chances...Countess is MUCH better.

7. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Not really. Consider that the best odds of getting runes from the Countess are at /players 1, whereas you're talking about running the River on /players 8, and the difference in difficulty becomes a lot less. Using a Sorc you should be able to do a Countess run at /players 1 in less than five minutes, even if you're a fire/cold sorc (Countess in Hell is both Cold and Fire immune, so you have to let your merc get the kill in this case).

8. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

I think one of the best countess runners is the skellymancer. At players 1 corpse explosion should take care of everything-especially the countess and her minions. I just keep a staff of teleportation on the switch and use it to cruise though the Tower. It doesn't take too much time to raise your army, and if your merc can tank you may not need the full army- he will block the door to her chamber and then it is amp, ce, repeat. You should be able to get most low to mid level runes this way-I personally haven't had much luck over pul. It doesn't take very long at all to reach Hell if you are starting a new character. Just my .02

9. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Ok, I did some testing: I can do 11 hell Countess runs with my Meteorb sorc in 10 mins (my merc always had to kill dual immune Countess). I got Thul, Amn, Sol, Hel and Dol and countless crap runes and never lost more than ½ of her hp. If compared to this, nm RoF isn't worth running.

10. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

my bonecaster is better ^^
    he teleports (easy to get a tele amy or something) to lvl 5 and kills one of the minions (they die in like 1 or 2 bonespears) then just CE the rest.

just my .02$

:lol:

by the way, i haven´t had that much luck with the countess but it´s still nice for runes around THUL and so. Got lots of mid runes to cube with.

11. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

You're right! =D. i also did some countess runs, and i realised my fully equipped pally can handle the way down pretty well, averagin 5 minutes a run (only found a sol, but it's a good start).

I don't think my ORB/Chain lightning/Thunderstorm sorc can do as well though... But i'll try. =D.

12. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Ooooohh yeahh.. countess runs babeeyyy...

Well, i did what you guys advised, and in 3 days, i got what i was looking for (PUL) as well as two LEMs an IO and many other useful runes (for crafting and stuff =D)

Also, today countess (or the monster arround here, can't be sure with my CL everywhere) dropped me Spired Helm and Matriarchal Spear

Both being items i've never had seen dropped before.. yay =D

13. Araknis

Araknis IncGamers Member

I agree totally. You've got to have teleport charged something or other to do Countess runs, and go the boney!