Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Running mephisto's racks?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by huangfusong, Oct 6, 2006.

1. huangfusong

huangfusong IncGamers Member

Running mephisto's racks?

I learned from the lower kurast run thread about using -seed to write down cool maps and go back to them.

this has got to be too good to be not against the rules, though. remember the discussion about the ber rune? About how it always spawned with the same other stuff in the chest? Well, whenever i play a seed map now, i get the same stuff in a "family" almost every time. when i finally found a good one for mephisto's wepaon and armor racks, this is what i got in one full inventory/stash run (including every uniques from mephisto clogging up the space)

Legendary mellet
    superior mighty scepter (11% extra damage, +3 holy freeze, +3 conc, +1 shock)
    holy water sprinkler (+2 shock, + redemption, +conversion)
    reinforced mace

conquerer crown
    etheral spirit mask
    superior kraken shell (+13%)

this was only in like 4 or 5 runs... it seems like this idea was just "discovered" recently and it seems so good. Is anyone else doing this or is it kind of cheating? (i haven't equipped anything from my own runs in awile, just traded stuff, but i stillhope now)

2. huangfusong

sorry, i posted this in the wrong firefox tab... i meant to put it in the regular single plauyer forum. can i move it myself or does an admin have to do it?

3. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

An admin has to do it.

Hrus or Cattleya will probably notice it soon.

4. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Well, I had a LK map which almost always dropped me a 3-4os Pally shield with 35+ Res all. When I asked was it cheesy to farm for these, I was given the short answer of No.
    Reasoning: Had I manually entered the seed, it would be me manipulating the drop chances, TC probability, game dynamics, and thus, cheesy.
    The fact that it randomly came out this way with no manipulation is the reason it wasn't cheesy.

Whenever you change difficulty, the map seed changes. The map seed determines this type of thing (or something like that.) If you by chance get a really good map seed, then that's fine.
    BUT if you change map seed by changing difficulty etc, and you want to go back to those drops, it is cheesy and pretty bad IMO to manually alter the seed.
    The only exception to this is if you accidently change to a different difficulty, and then saved that seed. You can (but I still think it's debateable this way) load the seed once, then quit and remove the seed command.
    The more accepted way of doing this is to Alt-ctrl-del and close down D2 that way, as quick as you can before it gets a chance to save it.

5. huangfusong

wait... so it's not cool to save seeds (like i've been doing hehe) for "meph run", "countess run", "tunnels run" and load whatever you want to play that day?

I figured it wasn't that bad, because it was just speeding up the time you would notmally spend changing difficulties in order to find a good map for whatever run you felt like at the time. but the way they always seem to pump out the same thing... and when it's a useful elite item...

so i should only farm if i find a good seed without the -seed command? and then have to lose it if i want to change seeds?

6. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Hopefully, someone else can help out here. That was my interpretation and opinion of -seeding, but I do believe it is "not cool."

7. Are

Are IncGamers Member

I guess I'm pretty lucky.. Mephisto, Countess and Tunnels all have very good maps for my current character :) Unfortunately, the Worldstone Keep is as bad as it's possible to get it for Baal runs ;)

Anyway, it would seem cheesy to save map seeds for different types of runs..

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

huangfusong: There are two things regarding use of seed command.
    1) Using that for recovering maps. Though someone might find it cheesy, it's allowed in SPF. However, you have not to pickup anything with your character when the game is run with seed command, because you could get dupes

2) Abusing seed command to get duplicates of items (ie playing with the game with active seed command) - that's cheating.

read SPF FAQ on gameplay affecting techniques
    and read this thread with consequences of abusing the seed command (accidental in this case)

9. huangfusong

ok, thanks for explaining... i didn't know you had to take it off

i ran dupe detector on my entire directory (including the file where i delete everything to after trading) and there are no dupes except for an item that show up in only 1 stash (???) but still shows up in the dupe detector screen (in that one stash). What does that mean?

i'll stop using the seed command after I restore my map, and quit after i get the map so even that run won't use it.

edit: so, I should delete these maces and elite armors? What about all the stuff I've gotten since I started using seed (i guess like 2 weeks). I only noticed today, so I guess it didn't really work until then. I've only been running mephisto and lower kurast and have only gotten like 3 or 4 elite uniques... new and different stuff, nothing like this.

10. huangfusong

wow, i really got to thank you. it seems like using seed may make some things always good, but other things can be alwyas bad! mephisto hadn't been dropping anything good all this time, but i just ran level 3 durance 5 times again and got all this!

-harlequin crest
    -mahim oak curio
    -saracen's chance
    -bonesnap
    -undead crowd
    -dragon chang
    -ethereal kraken shell

i guess it pays to play the right way!

edit: the only good rack drop was the kraken shell, everything else was crap like flamberge, scale mail, and hand axes

11. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

huangfusong: I don't think that deleting the stuff is needed when dupe detector doesn't reveal dual fingerprints. What's with that one item, are there two versions of it in that stash or what? Please post a Screenie of Atma detector results...

12. huangfusong

no, it's triggering the item even though there's only one of it on the dupe detector (you can see i opened the trees)

http://www.freewebs.com/huangfusong/wierd.JPG

i picked up an isenhart's lightbrand earlier today and just moved it into the stash, now it's doing the same thing too. i mean, i don't need these things, i suppose i can just throw them away if atma is saying they're dupes. does it have a list of well-known dupes to compare against?

13. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I would say that there are 2 Guillams with the same fingerprint in the same stash. The same with Isenhart's sword. If they are not, than it's probably some bug in Atma. Delete them to be sure there is nothing wrong in your item pool.

14. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

No list for atma, that's flavie's job.

What items are in that stash? Are there more than one Guil's face in that one stash? The dupe detector will only show it once in that case.

15. huangfusong

no, there's only 1 guillaime's face in the unique stash, and only 1 of that fingerprint isenhart's sword in the extras stash.

but when i made a flavie report, it suddenly said this:

*** Item matched : 54: Warlord's Trust with FP 0x82e8930e(C:\Games\Diablo 2\save\SetUnique.txt) Fingerprint was allready used by another item: 53: Cleglaw's Pincers from file C:\Games\Diablo 2\save\SetUnique.d2x. Item is different type and both are listed anyways.

the dupe detector didn't say anything about these two, and they do have the same fingerprint. what is wrong with my stuff???? :(

16. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

suspected it might be something like that... think I had that happen to me some time ago.
    Flavie didn't say anything about the face?

Seems like atma only shows you one item per file for a given fingerprint.
    Try moving the g-face to another stash and run the dupe detector again?

If it's different items with the same print, they should be allright.

17. huangfusong

i tried that, and it still shows the helm. Funny, it only does this when I search the whole folder. If i detect just the one stash, it comes up clean. I can't find this helm in any other stash...

18. huangfusong

Okay, i finally got atma and flavie to stop flagging my items. I had to move them into my "deleted" stash, guess they were corrupt. Good thing it was only crap stuff!

when i put my newest belt in the stash (with potions), I suddenly got this too:

*** Item matched : 542: Greater Healing Potion with FP 0x8de22100(C:\Games\Diablo 2\save\SetUnique.txt) Fingerprint was allready used by another item: 526: War Traveler from file C:\Games\Diablo 2\save\SetUnique.d2x. Item is different type and both are listed anyways.

Is this something you just have to deal with as you collect more and more items? That eventually fingerprints will start to duplicate? here it's a simple matter if eating the potion, but my warlord's trust/civerb's pincers still have the same issue.