Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Running d2 in a window?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by KeNnY-DK, Apr 17, 2005.

1. KeNnY-DK

KeNnY-DK IncGamers Member

Running d2 in a window?

I was just wondering what the command is to run d2 in a window is?
    I thougt it was something about adding -w somewhere, but after looking various locations im still blank :p any help would be appreciated

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

If you look at the properties of your D2 icon and it has a "Target:" that reads something like this

"D:\Program Files\Diablo II\Fixed Diablo II.exe" -dummy -skiptobnet -title "Chris"

Then just change it so it says

"D:\Program Files\Diablo II\Fixed Diablo II.exe" -dummy -skiptobnet -window -title "Chris"

instead.

At least I hope the -window works with the blizzard loader as well... could just be -w for them, but I think it does have the option.

EDIT: note, however, that running D2 in a window may not work as you hoped: Diablo will iconify the window when it looses focus, just as if the thing was still full-screen, so the "window" support is pretty much a fake.

3. KeNnY-DK

my target reads: "C:\Programmer\games\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" so where do i add the -window ? i might not use it anyway if it is as u said, its just that i hate minimising the game cos it takes so long to open again.. also im on messenger a lot and i dont hear the incoming message sound when ingame, so i often end up shutting msn down and just playing cos i cant reply when i dont hear anything :p

4. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

add a space then -w outside of the quotes

5. KeNnY-DK

thanks for all the help :)

6. KeNnY-DK

one more thing.. when u do that adding -w i can get it windowed, but its a small window, can i not make it take up the whole screen? like maximizing it?

7. Karmal

Karmal IncGamers Member

hit escape while in a game, and hit options and go to video. Set it to the resolution your screen is set and it will take up full screen.

8. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

Well, not many people use 800x600 anymore, and d2 won't stretch or shrink. To have the window fill the entire screen, most users will need to reduce their desktop resolution to 800x600.

9. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Is there any way to have the program change your screen resolution when you load it? I know some programs have options in properties to run in 256 colors mode, etc. Isn't there a check box or something so it would switch up to 800x600 while the program was running, then switch back when Diablo 2 was closed? It'd sure beat manually doing it every time.

10. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

well... isnt the point of running it in a window so you can switch away and see something else faster, or keep an eye on your IRC window or your other chat session?

i keep my desktop at 1280x1024 even while i play in an 800x600 window. works for me :)

if you size your desktop down to 800x600, IMO your defeating the purpose of window mode.

11. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Diablo does not have any option to change your screen resolution while it's run in windowed mode. It may be possible to find a program online to do just that. Not a mod of diablo, but a program that would let you configure monitor settings for specific programs. Powerstrip (with a free trial) has alot of monitor/display features, but i'm unsure if that is one of them.

12. valvidia

valvidia IncGamers Member

Some video cards support changes to resolution, 16 or 32 bit color, fsaa, etc etc etc when you run certain programs. Other 3rd party programs will support this feature if the card itself does not. I'm pretty sure powerstrip supports this... however powerstrip can and will completely screw with ur vid card if you don't fully understand all the options. I avoid that program like the plauge and i'm experienced at messing with vid configurations.

Its alot of messing around over a simple right click on destop/properties and just changing it manually. I suggest 1024 res... gives you a bigger window and when you get a msn msg ur computer is still useable... 800 is useless imo

-deano

13. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

and what do these comands do ? "-dummy -skiptobnet -title "Chris""

i also wonder if anyone could guide me to a site whit all the comands listed and what theyr affects are, thx in advance :clap:

14. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

"-skiptobnet" will insantly take you to the Battle Net log in screen upon starting a game. "-title "Chris"" will name your Diablo II game window. Usually the game window is labled "Diablo II", but using the above command would change it to "Chris".